US Airways A320 ditches in Hudson River - pax and crew OK !

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: US Airways A320 ditches in Hudson River - pax and crew OK !

Post by sn26567 »

Looks like one I shouldn't miss, with two great names: Tom Hanks and Clint Eastwood. And probably a lot of special effects. :)
André
ex Sabena #26567

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sn26567 wrote:Looks like one I shouldn't miss, with two great names: Tom Hanks and Clint Eastwood. And probably a lot of special effects.
Clint Eastwood is director and producer, but he's not in the casting list.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Passenger wrote:
sn26567 wrote:Looks like one I shouldn't miss, with two great names: Tom Hanks and Clint Eastwood. And probably a lot of special effects.
Clint Eastwood is director and producer, but he's not in the casting list.
I saw that, and it's because he is a great director that I'd like to see the movie.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

The official IMAX Trailer HQ has been released yesterday:

Homepage:

http://sully-movie.com

https://facebook.com/sullymovie

Sonho1985

Post by Sonho1985 »

This is getting ridiculous by moments. Sully is a man who just did his job (a great job I must admit!)...
People are risking their lives every day to save others.

Landing on water surface is extremely difficult, but they were also extremely lucky with all the circumstances (weather, timing and location of the incident, calm water surface...).
I am not criticising the movie with intention of minimizing the pilots prestations, but it is so typically American to turn the whole thing into a huge showcase.
For examble a DHL-plane (with Belgian captain) was hit by a rocket launcher just after take-off in Baghdad (2003?) en they managed to land the burning and nearly impossible to fly aircraft safely back on the ground.
Those stuff happen...

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

A movie from 1h 36m for a flight of only 4 minutes
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Sonho1985 wrote: ...
For examble a DHL-plane (with Belgian captain) was hit by a rocket launcher just after take-off in Baghdad (2003?) en they managed to land the burning and nearly impossible to fly aircraft safely back on the ground.
Those stuff happen...
Yep, end of 2003 it was.
OO-DLL with Eric Jeannotte, Steve Michielsen and Mario x (a Scott FE).

Indeed what they achieved is unbelievable, without diminishing in anyways what Sully (and his FO by the way) have achieved as well.
Below is an abstract of the preliminary report of a guy who was sent out to BGW to make an initial assessment.

To those of you who are wondering what happened to the DHL A300B4 coming out of Baghdad last Saturday, take a look.
Aircraft was hit at 8000 FT, lost ALL hydraulics and therefore had no flight controls, actually did a missed approach using only engine thrust and eventually (after about 16mins) landed heavily on runway 33L at Baghdad.
This was fortunate because with no steering the aircraft veered of the runway to the left, had they landed on 33R veering to the left would have taken them straight into the fire station.
The aircraft then travelled about 600 metres through soft sand taking out a razor wire fence in the process, see LH engine pic, and came to rest almost at the bottom of the sloping area between the runway and a taxiway.
All three crew evacuated safely down the second slide, the first one tore on the razor wire.

What he doesn’t say is that the crew basically had to learn on the spot how to make that thing fly !
Also I heard that after having evacuated, the Marines that had arrived on site shouted “Don’t move : Mine field ! “.

Below are some of the pics taken during the assessment.
His report details the extent of the damages.

Basically, LH engine rotates in a fashion, has ingested lots of razor wire and is knackered. RH engine has seized, probably from ingesting loads of sand at maximum reverse thrust and inlet cowl has unacceptable lip damage, probably from hitting the razor wire fence posts.
The No 8 axle appears to be cracked as the wheel sits at an odd angle. The bulk of the damage is the LH wing. About 3 metres of rear spar is missing in front of the outboard flap, the wing has bulged upwards and downwards where the initial explosion appears to have occurred, one O/B flap track is hanging in the breeze and one has a small piece of flap still attached, the rest of the flap is nonexistent. The pics show the huge crack that has occurred to the rear spar inboard of where the spar has burnt away, possibly from loads on the wing during the landing process. The front spar appears to be intact.
The point of entry pics show where a projectile entered Tank 1A, which was full of fuel, and, after it ignited, proceeded to burn away at the spar. The fuel tank ribs in the area directly in front of the O/B flap are burnt almost 50% through.
The crew obviously did a fantastic job in getting the aircraft back on to the ground and one can only assume that it was most fortunate that they were not aware of the state of the wing as they could not see it from the cockpit.
It also says a lot for the structure of the aircraft that it withstood the impact of the (whatever is finally determined to have hit it).
BigPicture1.JPG
BigPicture1.JPG (32.29 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
DLLRearSpar1.JPG
DLLRearSpar1.JPG (34.22 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
LHWING.JPG
LHWING.JPG (73.81 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
LHWING3.JPG
LHWING3.JPG (81.68 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
PointofEntry1.JPG
PointofEntry1.JPG (33.82 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
RearSpar6.JPG
RearSpar6.JPG (39.28 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
RearSpar8.JPG
RearSpar8.JPG (43.42 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
RHGear.JPG
RHGear.JPG (24.67 KiB) Viewed 3191 times

Like the Hudson case, they had a bit of luck (?) : the tanks were full so there was no explosion of fuel vapours that would have ripped off the wing.

Sorry for the long digression but it was an opportunity to pay a tribute to other aviators who's feat may never appear in a movie.

H.A.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Homo Aeroportus wrote:
Those stuff happen...
Yep, end of 2003 it was.
Indeed what they achieved is unbelievable, without diminishing in anyways what Sully (and his FO by the way) have achieved as well.
It wasn't a movie, but National Geographic made this documentary for their "Air Crash Investigation" series:

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Homo Aeroportus wrote:
Those stuff happen...
Yep, end of 2003 it was.
More images: https://www.aviation24.be/pictures/thumbnails.php?album=36

And a topic dated 13 years ago: https://www.aviation24.be/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2245

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

This aircraft is still in Baghdad
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

Homo Aeroportus

Passenger wrote: It wasn't a movie, but National Geographic made this documentary for their "Air Crash Investigation" series:

Thanks for the link Passenger.
I thought I had seen them all but not this one indeed.
Will watch it for sure.

H.A.

Homo Aeroportus

Thank you Bart. I am too young (on Luchtzak.be that is :mrgreen: ) to have seen that thread. ;)

Very "nice" photos indeed.

Also, I stand corrected. I misspelled the Captain's name : Eric Gennotte.

H.A.