Frustrated Ryanair cuts all routes to Fuerteventura

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

TCAS

Frustrated Ryanair cuts all routes to Fuerteventura

Post by TCAS »

Ryanair has cut all its services to popular Canary Islands' destinations following a dispute with a local tourist group.

Ryanair has confirmed that it will stop flying to Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands from the end of January, following a dispute with a local tourist group.

The airline will stop 23 weekly services, including flights from Birmingham, East Midlands, Liverpool, Shannon and Stansted from January 31. It has already cancelled its Dublin services.

The airline claims that the local tourist group, AEI, has broken a commercial agreement to promote Fuerteventura as a destination.

"This is a very black day for Fuerteventura and one which will have a severe impact on tourism and the livelihoods of its islanders," said Michael Cawley, Ryanair's deputy chief executive.

Full article

Source: Telegraph.co.uk

regi

Re: Frustrated Ryanair cuts all routes to Fuerteventura

Post by regi »

3 points:
  • did I understand it right that Ryanair receives 4 euro pro capita to bring in tourists? In that case many people would like to know how much Ryanair receives from any kind of local tourist board at EVERY destination. This should be made public.
    many people say easely that they will never fly Ryanair again. I suggest that Ryanair makes a black list and puts these people on it, being impossible to make any booking in the future when these people chose again for the cheap stuff.
    many people talk about the threats that Ryanair makes. It is a wrong expression: Ryanair doesn't threat. Ryanair reacts swiftly, sometimes without any warning at all.
Personnal view:
I decided for myself that I would - correction: will - not use Ryanair anymore for business visits where my time is precious. This after a 4 hour delay, resulting in a canceled company visit. Yes, they can blacklist me for that .
But I remained a Ryanair customer for private use, where it is less damaging if I would have to undergo the one side business approach of Ryanair. So please don't blacklist me for personnal use.