website name

Give your feedback, make new suggestions to improve https://www.aviation24.be, is there anything else we can do for you?
744rules

website name

Post by 744rules »

Just a thought
As statistics shows a large increase in hits, I suppose this site will get visits of non-dutch speaking people. Wouldn't it be a good idea to explain what LUCHTZAK means (or the origin).
I know it was decided by administrators that english would be the used/standard language, but I can imagine some visitors have no clue about the meaning of the site-name
Rgds
744rules

8)

meerkat

Post by meerkat »

Over to you Bart!!!

Meerkat

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Ok,

here it goes, some people will not believe me ;-)

About 5 years ago I was sitting on a terras enjoying a drink when I was looking at the card underneath my drink. It was the time where people could send their funny remarks, jokes, etc... to Hoegaarden. The statement was:
Een luchtzak is een vervelende passagier in een vliegtuig
In English: a luchtzak is an annoying passenger in an airplane. But in fact luchtzak means in Dutch: small turbulence in an aircraft.

With some imagination you can make it a little different as well:
- an annoying guy = klootzak (a**hole)
- an annoying guy in an aircraft = luchtzak

Also in the first years of work at DAT we called the stewards luchtzakken and the stewardesses zweefteven, long time ago ;-)

- zweefteven means soaring bitches

My first steps on the internet I wanted to play some games and used the nickname luchtzak, months later I bought the domainname luchtzak.be

Well, hope this helps and that nobody is shocked after this explanation ;-)

greetings,

Bart
:drink:

sn26567

Re: website name

Post by sn26567 »

744rules wrote:Just a thought
As statistics shows a large increase in hits, I suppose this site will get visits of non-dutch speaking people. Wouldn't it be a good idea to explain what LUCHTZAK means (or the origin).
Oh, I had even not realised that it was originally a website of dutch-speaking people in the first place :wink:

To me a luchtzak is a part of the respiratory system of birds located next to the lungs. Origin:
Eén van de bekendste elementen die uniek zijn in het ademhalingsstelsel van vogels, zijn ongetwijfeld de luchtzakken. Dit zijn uitbreidingen van de longen. Het zijn zakjes met een uiterst dunne wand die tot in de beenderen van de vleugels en de poten doordringen
... or the small pocket of air at the inside top of an egg.

... or the air bag of a Scottish bagpipe.

No? :?: You mean I have everything wrong? :?:

Well then it is time to give a clear explanation :idea:

Up to you Bart 8)
André
ex Sabena #26567

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

On www.vandale.be , Belgian's best online dictionary:

lucht·zak (de ~ (m.))
1 valwind, waarbij de afgekoelde zwaarder geworden lucht omlaag beweegt
2 longzak bij vogels
3 luchtbel in een pijpleiding