easyJet AMS-EDI ---> EDI-AMS

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
A318

easyJet AMS-EDI ---> EDI-AMS

Post by A318 »

As I promissed here my trip report on my 1st easyJet flight and I also compare easyJet with Ryanair....
Thursday January 29th, flight EZY4463
Arriving on the airport in AMS thursday evening shows us directly that our flight will depart at 22:10 instead of 21:25. Nice 1st experience since I never had any delays before with Ryanair.
Anyway arriving on the checkin desk gave us a fast and friendly checkin (something I missed most of the time with Ryanair) and we received a real boarding pass instead of a piece of paper which you receive on RYR flights:

After the security checks and the passport control we arrived at the gate D12 where it was full with Jet2 passengers (I was really amazed with their service by the way :thumbsup: ) so we had to wait until they were boarded and seats were available.
After waiting a while time changed again into 22:25 (1 hour delay) and this was expected arrival time!!!

Pre-boarding started around this time in groups from 1 to 30, 31 to 60 etc which I really apreciated since the people who checked in first have also first priority to board.
Around 22:50 we could board the 737-300 and were very friendly welcomed by the purser and the rest of the crew (purser and 2 CA's) which we normally don't get with RYR (that smile makes such a difference and cost nothing!). Loadfactor was around 95%.

Finally we were ready for take-off after crew and captain appologized for the big delay and explained that all had to do with big problems in London (weahter and checkin). Then a full talk from the captain like take-off path, flying time, expected weather etc (like I am used to on intercontinental flights and not with RYR) and at 23:15 a bumpy take-off (hard winds at EHAM) on our way to EDI. During the flight I was amazed about the very friendly staff from easyJet eventough I knew this is a LCC like RYR wihch are normally not so friendly. I took a soda which cost me €1,- instead of €1,50 with RYR and relaxed during my 1hour and 20 minute flight. After a nice landing and more appologizes and thank you word from the captain we were totally satisfied about this service.

The 737-300 was clean!!! Smelled fresh!!! Something I complained about earlier that RYR should take care off but seating is the same as RYR, we were sitting in row 4 right. Standard config and pitch and in this 737-300 you could feel the seat frame throught the cussions. Also only 2 toilets on board!

Sunday february 1st, flight EZY4462
Arriving early at EDI airport since we fly at 8:00 to AMS.
Checkin again fast, friendly and what a nice girl there in EDI airport but that's off topic but make things more nice so early in the morning ;)
We had boarding pass number 1 and 2 so I was going to have again a good seat.

Boarding was on time at 7:40 at gate 1D and we boarded a very new, amazingly clean and fresh smelling 737-700 :thumbsup:
Loadfactor on this flight was 119 passengers (which I heard from the purser) which is very good on sunday morning at 8:00.
Seats were comfortable (new) and pitch more or less the same as with RYR, stting in row 2, right. Also only 2 toilets on this 700!

Cabin crew welcomed us again very friendly and take-off was on time at 8:00. During the flight we got some turbulence but was not to strong.
Again a nice talk from the captain with all information and he expected to start the decent in 10 minutes 8O we were just flying for 30 minutes!
During his talk he warned the passengers that due to the hard winds it was going to be a very bumpy decents but it was nothing to worry about, again a :thumbsup: for this anouncement since I never had it with RYR.
Passengers were prepared and not afraid or worried.

After a, indeed, very bumpy decent we were going to land at the polderbaan but before that we had a nice wind ballet with the airplane. You could feel the wind playing with the 737 and we were constantly "waving" with our wings and you felt the wind pushing on the site of the plane. This was my first aproach in weather like this and was a "strange" experience.
Anyway besides all this we had a nice landing at 10:05 so just a flying time from 1 hour and 5 minutes.
Too bad our gate was not available yet so we had to wait 15 minutes before we could taxi to our gate.
We arrived there eaxactly on schedule time 10:30.

So my 1st experience with easyJet is very good even we had a big delay from AMS but this was caused by problems that affected more airlines, so not easyJets fault.
The planes are totally clean so RYR can not say they can not do this due to a short turnaround time.
Checkin personel is more friendy then the ones from Ryanair.
Cabin crew is very friendly, RYR can take a lesson from this!
Captains give full flight information and a lot of times I missed this when I was flying Ryanair, again a plus for easyJet.
So too be short, yes you were right, easyJet is a much more profesional airline then Ryanair and the crew is definitly much more friendly.
Like I said a smile cost nothing but makes you so much populair by your passengers.

Ofcourse this treatment is more standard with the full carriers but my report is only based on experiences with Ryanair and these easyJet flights.

Greetz,

Erwin
Last edited by A318 on 10 Feb 2004, 17:38, edited 2 times in total.
A Whole Different Animal

Comet

Post by Comet »

Very interesting Erwin. That's the first report I've read about EZY, and they do sound good (but I think they do have a good name). The weather in the UK was truly hideous over the past few days, and many flights had been cancelled.

Did you see any TV crews? EZY are the subject of a documentary series in the UK called "Airline". You might be on TV!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Very nice report!

Did they offer sandwiches on board, or only things like pretzels/chocolate bars/...?

Regards
Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

JetB

Post by JetB »

Nice report Erwin, hope you made more pictures...

Sounds like Easyjet is an good alternative for Ryanair, hope they fly to and from Belgium soon ( don't expect it, but I don't have to give up hope ).

So nobody a sleep behind an Easyjet desk, like I experienced a few weeks ago in the STN Ryanair terminal ?.

Thats the difference between a company that employs people because they are qualified and not just because they pay to be a FA.

A318

Post by A318 »

@comet, I saw tv crews when we left from EDI but they just arrived since it was very early.

@Frederic, yes you could buy also the sandwiches and all the other things but we just eat before we board the plane so nothing more then a soda for me.

@BobClaes, No Nobody was sleeping (yeah my wife but she was totally tired from working :) ) and it is indeed a very good alternative.
Like always I only made pictures in EDI and not in the airplane. From the airplane also not since you were boarding through a real gate and not walking of stairs like in CRL.

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

JetB

Post by JetB »

Erwin, do you think we can conclude that there is life after Ryanair.... ?
:jump2: :jump2:

AN124

Post by AN124 »

Thanks for your nice and detailed report Erwin.

Sounds like you had a good flight.

Best Regards,
Yvo

Jumbolino

Post by Jumbolino »

Thanks Erwin for the nice and useful trip rep,
sounds like easyJet is a very good competitor to - some - other LCC's you've already mentioned ;-)

Jumbolino.

A318

Post by A318 »

BobClaes wrote:Erwin, do you think we can conclude that there is life after Ryanair.... ?
:jump2: :jump2:
No, there is just another low cost carrier that did put all points on the letter I.
To enjoy that you don't have to wait until that moment "after Ryanair" will appear.
If Ryanair should give a little more effort, a little longer turnaround time so they can clean the plane and just a FREE smile, things would be getting a lot better already!

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thank you very much for this wonderful report Erwin. :thumbsup:

I liked it 8)

I'm also glad to see an honest comparison between FR and EZY.

Ciao
Chris
8)

Air_Lac

Post by Air_Lac »

Nice and exhaustive report indeed.

I myself had the opportunity to fly several times with easyJet and Ryanair and I have always been rather satisfied with their performance. Of course when one pays very low fares one cannot really expect first class treatment.

When I flew easyJet though, I flew easyJet Switzerland (EZS - former TEA Switzerland) and ever esayJet UK (EZY) - mainly on AMS-GVA and GVA-LTN.

Has anyone already flown in the easyJet A319 ?

My preferred lowcost airlines so far was probably Hapag Lloyd Express. I heard the V-Bird seems to be very good and almost like a full business class service - anyone had any experience ?

Air_Lac

OO-SBZ

Post by OO-SBZ »

Thanks for the nice report!

As I can see, EasyJet is a crush above the field as far as service is concerned :wink:

Regards

BeN :idea:

Note to 'Mr Ryanair': I hope you will read this flight-review and make sure things have improved for my next flight... aboard a brand-new Boeing 737-800 with at least three toilets :wink:

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Guys,

When I become RYR cabin crew, my smile will also be on that plane :D

JetB

Post by JetB »

I hope so Sean the company needs more people like you....

L-1011

Post by L-1011 »

Thanks for this wonderful trip report Erwin. I hope the rest of your trip was as excellent as your flights :!:

I'd like to have at least a bumpy ride once, so I can feel what it's like.

All the things you say about the staff and their friendlyness confirms what we saw / and still can see on the TV series "Airline"
Thumbs up :thumbsup: for Easyjet

When are the A319's start to replace the 737's in their fleet:?:

ciao,
TriStar :wink:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

L-1011 wrote:When are the A319's start to replace the 737's in their fleet:?:
The first A319s have been put in service at easyJet Switzerland and are based in Geneva.
André
ex Sabena #26567

A318

Post by A318 »

L-1011 wrote:Thanks for this wonderful trip report Erwin. I hope the rest of your trip was as excellent as your flights :!:
I'd like to have at least a bumpy ride once, so I can feel what it's like.
All the things you say about the staff and their friendlyness confirms what we saw / and still can see on the TV series "Airline"
Thumbs up :thumbsup: for Easyjet
When are the A319's start to replace the 737's in their fleet:?:
ciao,
TriStar :wink:
Tristar, to be honest our fist day in Edinburgh ended up into the hospital for 3 hours!!! My wife slipt on a piece of ice in front of Edinburgh castel and felt fully on her knee, poor thing. She could hardly walk anymore so X-rays were taken, knee in a bandage and painkillers so at least she could walk around, thank god nothing broke or damaged.

I am not really afraid in a plane on a bumpy ride but it was a very "strange" feeling, not really comfortable to be honest.
I hope also that have in the future one of those A319's so I can finally compare it with a 737, I never flew in a 318, 319, 320 or 321 so it is getting time for it.
I saw a picture somewhere from the cabin of a easyJet A319 and it looked very very nice to me.

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

Comet

Post by Comet »

I've flown in both the 737 (with Icelandair and Sabena) and the A320 (with Air France). I prefer the Airbus model personally, but my opinion of the 737 is clouded somewhat by an unpleasant incident on one once. The Airbus type just seems more comfortable, and some models may be quieter as well, but I'm not certain of that.

Erwin - hope your wife's knee is alot better. The weather was at its worst in the UK this year to coincide with your trip. Edinburgh is a truly wonderful city when you can visit in good weather.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

A318

Post by A318 »

Comet wrote:Erwin - hope your wife's knee is alot better. The weather was at its worst in the UK this year to coincide with your trip. Edinburgh is a truly wonderful city when you can visit in good weather.
Louise, that's also the reason we are definitly going back to Edinburgh as soon the weather is more nice. We want to make a trip into the highlands but then you need at least dry weather :)

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

Avro

Post by Avro »

I hope also that have in the future one of those A319's
Wait a few months and you'll have plenty of them at Easyjet ;)

From a pax point of view I the 32's family is more comfortable than the B737classic family (I never fle the NG's so I can't compare).

Ciao
Chris
8)