Boxing Day Flight DJ849

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Birko

Boxing Day Flight DJ849

Post by Birko »

Greeting and Merry Christmas everyone!

I stumbled across this excellent site after doing a google news search for Air New Zealand, as I was trying to find out about an incident that happened to me yesterday.

I was on a Virgin Blue 737 flight that was about to take off from Melbourne's Tullamarine Airport (Australia). We had taxied to the holding position when the pilot announced that there would be a delay due to an incoming plane with technical difficulties. A few few minutes later an Air New Zealand 767 (I think!) roared past on the main runway, chased by three fire units - that were keeping a few hundred metres distance. It was alll very "Thunderbirds are Go!".
After sitting on the runway for ten minutes, the the NZ plane began taxiing very slowly towards the terminal, stalked by the fire units. This whole time, the woman opposite me was text messaging on her phone. Some people just don't care about regulations. It was almost as if it was a television remote control and the 737 window was a small screen and she was trying to fast forward. A bit of incessant snarling soon had her trying to hide - even though she did look like Medusa and I was expecting to turn to stone.

It may have been a fairly regular event, but it was quite exciting to have an runway-side view of the drama. Thankfully it all turned out to be a safe event, but have no idea what the problem was.

Also, I live in a spotters dream position. I am in alignment with and am 3km away from the end of Sydney's main North South runway. I can sit in the backyard, drink a beer (will have to try one of those Sloebers) and wave to the passengers! Keep an eye out the window for me if you're visiting Sydney. :lol:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Birko, welcome to Luchtzak. Thanks for your report. This NZ story will drive Comet crazy :)
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Birko - welcome aboard, I loved reading your report (for obvious reasons!) The NZ 767 chased by fire engines must have been quite a sight, I don't think it happens regularly to them. It once happened to me, but not on an Air New Zealand flight, and it was not a nice experience!

Trust me, Sloeber is exceptional, when it is nice and golden and not darkened with bits floating round in it! I have used Sydney airport, I thought it was a superb place, and the view of Sydney harbour with the bridge and the Opera House, which we had just after take off, was stunning. I will also never forget seeing the Opera House and bridge as we were approaching to land in SYD and it had just got light. It was a superb memory, you live in a beautiful city!!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Join the club Birko, it's nice to meet people from down-under ;-)

Emergencies like you experienced can happen but are rare, the fire-trucks are most of the time for the "worst-case"-scenario. Luckily nothing bad happened and the plane could continue its way far away from your take-offrunway ;-)

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks for your nice report Briko and welcome on Luchtzak ;)

It must be sensational to see such an incident from another plane.

During the month of August 2002 there was a B767 from United Airlines that lost one engine during take off at BRU. I don't know if many of you remember this, but I was in the EAT/DHL hangar @ that moment and heared the loud bang. The planes brakes were gone after that incident. It was really impressive to see all fire trucks behind the Aircraft.

Ciao
Chris
8)

OCR_ole_ole

Post by OCR_ole_ole »

I do!!!

I opened the door of our 737, we just landed from BCN and we stood on a remote position former C-pier... As I was talking to pax that SN buses would arrive in a second while the 767 took off with an amazing jet of fire behind its engine... It was like on TV... i heared the voices in the control tower getting excited whilst i was disembarking pax.... the night before that flight Egyptair crashed into the Atlantic Ocean. 2 disasters I'll never forget

The next day all newspapers showed big pictures of this Delta 767...

fre

Avro

Post by Avro »

....big pictures of this Delta 767
United you mean ;)

Well, I didn't saw the flame, but heared the big bang and saw the plane braking. There was also smoke behind the plane if I remember it well.

Ciao
Chris
8)

Lame

Post by Lame »

Cannot find any news on this, or even a mention of it in the usual places.

By what you said, I doubt if it was an emergency situation.

Probably something like they found some rubber on the runway the B767 took off from, and were not sure what Aircraft it was off, so they would routinely do that for every Aircraft that took off around the time they found the rubber, as each Aircraft arrived at their destination.

This would also explain the short delay on the runway, while the fire crew and/or an LAME checked the landing gear.