Politicians planning activity reduction at Zaventem... ?!

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Roser

Politicians planning activity reduction at Zaventem... ?!

Post by Roser »

This is bad news for Belgium.
Due to continuing action against the airport of Zaventem (nocturnal noice) B. government formation talks includes the reduction of Zaventem airport imprtance. Because of the fast TGV connections with important airports in surrounding countries this would mean no great handicap for the belgian travelers and economy.

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

What is your source ? Even if they would decide to close the airport at night (like Zurich), there is plenty of room for expansion during the day.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

The end of Brussels Airport: LOL

The TGV is not the end of an airport. And besides that it was already known for years that Brussels Airport needed the TGV to connect it with major and smaller cities.
We also know that maybe in some years the TGV will replace some flights to and from AMS - BRU and maybe some German and French cities. but thats only a very small percentage.

Don't forget that the Aussies owns this airport.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Hi Roser;
Can you give the source of this.
Thax
Patrice
Hasta la victoria siempre.

vinair

Post by vinair »

The TGV is not the end of Zaventem! The TGV connection exists already a long time, Zaventem will not expand that fast like Schiphol, Frankfurt, London or whatever airport in the vicinity but it will take some time, but don't forget since the fall of Sabena it's already growing and it is a perfect place to start hubs or to promote cargo as they have slots over, ... I know it's not that easy but trust me ... there are possibilities at Zaventem and even the politicians won't let that pass ... think positive !!! greetz

FLY4HOURS.BE

Post by FLY4HOURS.BE »

The usual anti-noise bullshit.
Because of the fast TGV connections with important airports in surrounding countries this would mean no great handicap
Do you have an idea of how many people work at and around Zaventem?
Directly and undirectly, that is around 60000 people.

No big deal hun?

Oh yes right, the NMBS/SNCB will give them work :D

I suggest this subject should be deleted or at least the title changed. It is not appropriate in a pro-aviation forum.
Fly4hours, making the path to airline pilot affordable to all

TUB001

Post by TUB001 »

Maybe he is one of those who are building new houses/appartments for a cheap price around the airport and who is already dreaming about a "no airport" future :roll:

Avro

Post by Avro »

FLY4HOURS.BE wrote: I suggest this subject should be deleted or at least the title changed. It is not appropriate in a pro-aviation forum.
It's appropriate to discuss in an aviation forum.. Even if it's not pro-aviation !! However I changed the title a little bit

Chris

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Isn't the current government only supposed to deal with current affairs (lopende zaken/affaires courantes) without opening new dossiers ?
What is the source of this info (rumor) ?
In favor of quality air travel.

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

TUB001 wrote:Maybe he is one of those who are building new houses/appartments for a cheap price around the airport and who is already dreaming about a "no airport" future :roll:
Although I am standing on your side of the line on this matter, I must say that this is at least as cliché as
Roser wrote:Because of the fast TGV connections with important airports in surrounding countries this would mean no great handicap for the belgian travelers and economy.

I can tell you I bought a house near the airport (in the approach of the 20), yet I don't give a s**t wether the airport expands: the noise doesn't bother me and I take the plane every year. In fact, I like it when I'm sitting at my desk that I can look at incoming aircract. I invested myself in noise insulation on my own initiative and you will not hear me complain for one second about the airport. Actually, I see it as an asset: I am anywhere within a few hours, as I have an airport in the backyard :D

TUB001

Post by TUB001 »

Of course not you TeddybAIR, you love planes, and I would be happy to be where you are as well. But that is a fact.

Anyway my comment was off-topic even if true for *some* people.

:wink:

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

There is already a "day without car" in Brussels (it was last sunday). What next ? Perhaps a "day without airplane" ? If Groen/Ecolo get into the next government, it is a distinct possibility ...

ElcoB

Post by ElcoB »

airazurxtror wrote:There is already a "day without car" in Brussels (it was last sunday). What next ? Perhaps a "day without airplane" ? If Groen/Ecolo get into the next government, it is a distinct possibility ...
Euh...... as far as I know the Greens propose to :arrow: close Brussels Airport at night.

Robin_Bamps

Post by Robin_Bamps »

airazurxtror wrote:There is already a "day without car" in Brussels (it was last sunday). What next ? Perhaps a "day without airplane" ? If Groen/Ecolo get into the next government, it is a distinct possibility ...
I'm sure the people of Groen! and Ecolo are realistic enough that Belgium needs a gateway like BRU. Closing a national airport for 24 hours is quite a disaster from several points of view.

Note that the car-free day in Brussels is held on a Sunday (!) and not for the whole 24 hours. And as a person who walks through the Wetstraat every day of the week, I can tell you this is really a must ! I have fear to breathe every time I walk there, and when there's no wind it is even worse... Brussels isn't "isolated" that day either, as public transport and taxis are still running.

Also note that this kind of initiative was invented long before Groen!/Ecolo's coalition participation in 1999.

Regards, Robin Bamps.

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

The original plan for Brussels Underground Transport system had a line connecting to the aiport. There should also be a TGV station with connection to the vertical (Paris/Amsterdam) and the horizontal (London, Koln) TGV lines. This would help mobility...without having to close the airport for 24 hours !

jessy

Post by jessy »

I think all the matter about the nightly flights is bulls**t:

1. A lot of carriers come and go at night, including B Air. Reducing the number of nightly flights => less pilots needed => pilots get fired => more people without a job => more social extra's for the workless => ...

2. Brussels national is one of the major cargo HUBs for EU. how many jobs have bene lost due to the leaving DHL matter (result see above)

3. a personal note: the airport has been there for a long time, people buy those houses because it's cheap, then go complaining and get money for it.
If i need to complain about everything I don't like but what was here before I arrived I'd be a milionar

4. Brussels is one of the major incommes for BE. All those Cargo Flights must have some good influence on the economy, you can imagine the result when they reduce the night flights on EBBR: economic fall.

5. I wonder what the gouvernment will say if CargoB replaces it's activities to EBOS/EBLG when there will come new rules which they can't follow due to their noise B742's

In my eyes the gouvernment and Groen!/Ecolo/... are blind.
SABENA wasn't that good for our economy (Gouv. had to put money in it as we all know) but now things are getting better for us and we're placing ourselves back on the Global Market, especially with the important Cargo locations in Belgium.

just my 2 cents, all those rumors/info's about a closure/reduction of ebbr drives me mad and I just had to spit it all out altough I have much more to say

but...

it's school tomorrow so I'm off to bed for some sleep :P :roll:
Jessy Stas
Assistant Director - Belgium
Special Operations Assistant Coordinator - Belgium

International Virtual Aviation Organisation
http://ivao.aero | http://ivao.be

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

This is indeed topic XXX against Brussels Airport or their airlines.

Today I read on internet, in the newspaper and on television that all finances, insurances and compensations for the two projects: Diabolo and the new viaduct from the E19 to Brucargo are ready.

Also next Monday, 'De Lijn' is going to start with two new buslines starting in Mechelen via Brucargo to Brussels Airport. Those new lines are 681 and 683. Some villages on these new lines are never connected before with Brucargo or Brussels Airport.

And then still saying that the government is doing nothing. Some of the private companies, who invested a lot of money in those projects, takes huge risks.

vinair

Post by vinair »

First: I'm in favorite of Brussels and EBOS expansion !!!
Second: there is still place for cargo at EBBR and EBOS and I hope it will grow, I think it will grow cause figures show it, at brussels a lot of 747, Jordian Cargo, at EBOS they should promote it more: still place left and it is a great thing if it would increase cause it counts with the figures in total!
Third: passenger flights are increasing at EBBR and EBOS : I hope this will carry on!!!!
Fourth: there is a place for a 'hub' at EBBR but also 'EBOS', cause there are lot of paasengers willing to travel , only thing is pilot shortage ...
I hope the best,
greetz

vinair

A

Post by vinair »

And yea ... one thing about the connection Zaventem to Bussels south and then back to CDG, EHAM or London with the TGV/Eurostar:
this is not so bad if you want to use Brussels as a Hub, it is good the connection is there and maybe it would have been better if the train connection wasn't there and to make connections to CDG, EHAM or London with F50/70; but anyway a connection has to be made and I would prefer it also with planes, but if it can helps bringing airplanes to Brussels... greetz

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

An accord has been reached yesterday concerning the "Diabolo" : it will cost 540 millions euros, construction work will begin end october, and it should be operational in june 2012...
The "Diabolo" will connect the Brussels Airport station to the Brussels-Leuven line 36, and to a new line Schaerbeek-Mechelen.