LCY-BRU with VLM 3rd September 2007

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

LCY-BRU with VLM 3rd September 2007

Post by Comet »

We decided to have our first flight with VLM in four years after discovering that a "cheap" "low cost" flight with a certain other carrier would set us back £160 - our ticket with full-service VLM cost us £109 - this would also be our first flight from LCY in four years.

We booked an overnight stay in the Ibis London Excel - a nice, new-looking hotel within easy reach of LCY by DLR (Docklands Light Railway).

We set off early on the morning of 2nd September, after we had checked in online at the VLM website. We had been allocated seats 11A and 11B but I changed them to 8A and 8B. Our travel went OK until a load of stops were added to the train ride down to London, and then there was an overhead power failure, so instead of arriving at 12:35 we arrived at 14:30. After checking in at the hotel we went to LCY to spot and have tea (the sandwiches there are very good and better than usual airport fare).

On the morning of our flight, we arrived at the airport and dropped off our bags at the fast baggage drop. We went through security but I had my bag searched because of the video camera I was carrying in the handbag (baggage restrictions mean you can only take on one piece of hand luggage so my camcorder was in my handbag instead of its usual carrying case).

I took some photos as we waited for our flight - they are in this topic lcy-03-09-07-photos-t23078.html

Our flight was VG154, scheduled departure time 11:00. It was to depart from gate 5 and was operated by Fokker 50 OO-VLE "City of Southampton".

OO-VLE at the gate.

We saw our bags being loaded onto the plane, so we knew they would be going with us at least!

Boarding was called at 10:56 - there were only 11 passengers on the flight, that is the quietest flight I've been on.

The crew consisted of a steward and a stewardess, who greeted everyone pleasantly.

We had a wheel view.

A wheel view is OK if you want to see the exact moment of take off and touch down.

The aircraft pushed back at 11:05 and taxied quickly along the runway before turning and beginning its take off run. We became airborne at 11:10.

The views after take off from LCY are very good.

Over the Millennium Dome.

The weather was largely clear along the way from London.

Inside the sparsely-populated Fokker.

We were told that the flight would last 50 minutes, and there was slight turbulence during the climb.

The snack was soon served, with a choice of sandwiches or fruit salad. I had fruit salad with tea in a china cup.

The snack.

The crew on VLM are very deferential towards passengers, something rarely seen in crews these days, and it's hardly surprising that they were Regional Airline of the Year in 2006. They are very professional.

As we approached the coast, it was reasonably clear.

But cloud thickened as we crossed further into Belgium.

The cloud thinned out again as we approached Brussels, though it was a turbulent approach.

The wheel came down at 12:54 and we touched down on 25L at 12:56.

It had been a fantastic flight, with a great crew. The Fokker 50 is a fun little aircraft, with more noise and vibration inflight than with the RJs. The VLM experience is flying like it used to be - planes with props and very attentive crews. It was great to fly with them again.

We collected our luggage straight away, as it got there before we did and went to eat in Brussels Cafe, where we also had a Stella which we can no longer get at home.

Afterwards we caught the sh*tty to Brussels Noord and then the train to Oostende, where we had a fantastic stay and will definitely return next year.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

peacemaker

Post by peacemaker »

Nice report! cool to hear you enjoyed your flight on the VLM

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks peacemaker. We hope to fly on VLM again next year, maybe from MAN via LCY as getting across London on the Tube can be a nightmare when you have lots of luggage.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

I have just done a comparison for flights from MAN to BRU for a randomly-selected date. Here are the results:

a "cheap" "low cost" return on "Brussels Airlines" would set me back £247.12 - which does not include any refreshments I might want to buy on board.

a flight via LCY on full service VLM would cost £152.

a return flight on Flybe would cost £90.11

Quite a difference eh?
Louise

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Next time you wish to visit Ostend & fly VLM (both very good ideas!) you had better fly to Antwerp - bus 16 takes just 5 minutes to Berchem railway station which has direct trains to Ostend. But perhaps you knew this?

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for the tip about ANR and the trains. Is that cheaper than the train from BRU?

It would be even handier if VLM flew into EBOS :mrgreen:

Oostende is a beautiful (if a bit windy!) place to have a holiday, it is nice to walk along the Marina and the boats there are bigger than what we get here.

We had some gorgeous meals, our hotel was very nice (Ostend Hotel - I will give them a plug!) and we visited some nice places - saw Eupen in dry weather, had a boat ride in Antwerp, went on Coast Tram and visited De Haan (lovely place), Blankenberge (for a dinner stop), Zeebrugge (three visits this year with two of them being on the tram), De Panne (very briefly as it was so windy the sand was blowing into our eyes the whole time) and Tongeren (let down by a big fairground).

Next year we plan on seeing more of De Panne, hopefully we can get off the tram in Nieuwpoort rather than just looking at the digging on the main street and deciding to give it a miss, and also visit Koksijde. We will also spend more time in Blankenberge to visit the Serpentarium. And of course Zeebrugge!
Louise

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Comet wrote:Thanks for the tip about ANR and the trains. Is that cheaper than the train from BRU?
Slightly: 16 euro's from Zaventem, 14,30 euro's from Berchem but you would have to add the bus rate to that. Won't be 1,70 euro I should think, so the ANR connection is slightly cheaper, but is this difference significant? The differences in VLM fares might well be greater...

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

jan_olieslagers wrote:Next time you wish to visit Ostend & fly VLM (both very good ideas!) you had better fly to Antwerp - bus 16 takes just 5 minutes to Berchem railway station which has direct trains to Ostend. But perhaps you knew this?
bus 14 nowadays, line 16 changed into line 14 2 to 3 years ago (logic ends where De Lijn begins...), a singlet ticket on the bus is €1,50 but if you buy a "lijnkaart" (only in pre-sale, not onboard the busses) it's only €0,80

Comet

Post by Comet »

VLM have axed MAN-ANR in the past before reinstating it. Our only worry would be that if we booked that route they would axe it again. That is why we are not flying with them at Christmas, because that was the only route available with LCY having limited opening times.

Back to prices. A flight on BA from MAN to BRU via LHR would be £146.20.

bmi would charge £129.20 for the same route as BA.

Lufthansa via MUC and FRA would be £237.58

KLM via AMS is £173
Louise

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

I'm sure VLM wont ax the MAN-ANR route any time soon ;), so feel safe to book it