Why turn cabin lights off ?

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Badabing

Why turn cabin lights off ?

Post by Badabing »

We've had lenghty discussions over this. Who can tell us why cabin lights need to be turned off for evening flights during takeoff and landing ?

Must be a safety precaution of some sorts, but what is the exact reason ?

:?:

A318

Re: Why turn cabin lights off ?

Post by A318 »

Badabing wrote:We've had lenghty discussions over this. Who can tell us why cabin lights need to be turned off for evening flights during takeoff and landing ?

Must be a safety precaution of some sorts, but what is the exact reason ?

:?:
You mentioned it already, it is safety.
If something happens during take-off or landing the emergency lights inside the cabin (showing the way to the closest exit) are much better seen when the cabin light is off. You can imagine that in a case of emergency a lot of smoke comes into the cabin and the only orientation you have left at that moment are those lights.

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

Captain

After speaking to an air hostess about this.

Post by Captain »

I was myself wondering about this for many years.

One day I asked and air hostess who told me that the lights are turned on and off during takeoff and landing for security reasons in case of a crash or emergency landing.

The fact that the lights will be switched off will allow your retina (inside your) eye to expand allowing you to see easier in the dark. If unfortunately :twisted: the plane was to crash or do an emergency landing after that, people would be able to evacuate the plane much more easily as they will be able to see more easily in the dark.

Captain.

Avro

Post by Avro »

I'm gald that they turn off those lights during take off and landing, :lol: Otherwise you won't be able to see outside :twisted: .
With outside I mean engines illuminated with the landinglights (on Avro) and the nice view of the cities below you.

Chris
8)

vflies

Post by vflies »

Hello,

Furthermore, just like your headlights blind you when you drive in the fog, lights would only make smoke appear thicker (and presumably there's always smoke after a crash)...
another reason (but always going towards better safety) is that if the plane crashes in a dark area, the rescuers coming on board might also be startled by bright lights...
I don't quite agree with that one but it's been told by some flight attnds too...

Another question would be : what is the correct way to dim the lights?

The FAA asks "windows off, ceilings and galleys dim" but that's what you get on American carriers, not on European carriers!!!
Believe me, I fly a lot and if ALL airlines dim the lights fot TO and landing at night time, you get all possible light intensity : from toal darkness (can't be good) to almost as bright as before...

Is there a correct (legal) way lights should be dimmed in Europe too?

VFlies

Lien

Post by Lien »

• A318 wrote: If something happens during take-off or landing the emergency lights inside the cabin (showing the way to the closest exit) are much better seen when the cabin light is off. You can imagine that in a case of emergency a lot of smoke comes into the cabin and the only orientation you have left at that moment are those lights.

This also what I learned.

Lien !

SkyJet

Post by SkyJet »

There's also a technical side of the story : The electricity used to power the illumination is generated by the engines (during cruise) and the APU (ground and take-off/landing). In case the APU fails during take-off, all the electricity suddenly needs to be generated by the engines, which causes a serious surge in available take-off power.

The airconditioning system is put a low level as well during take-off...

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Hi all,

I was told that the cabin lights need to be dimmed (not turned off) and the reason for that is to 'adjust the eyes to the dark'

ciao,

Bart
:rock:

A318

Post by A318 »

SkyJet wrote:There's also a technical side of the story : The electricity used to power the illumination is generated by the engines (during cruise) and the APU (ground and take-off/landing). In case the APU fails during take-off, all the electricity suddenly needs to be generated by the engines, which causes a serious surge in available take-off power.

The airconditioning system is put a low level as well during take-off...
SkyJet, this story sounds nice but is not correct for the cabin lights part. If your story should be correct the cabin lights should always be dimmed, also during daylight and this never happens as fas as I know. For the airco part you are correct in my opinion since this use a lot of energy.
Just correct me if I am wrong ;)

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

SkyJet

Post by SkyJet »

During take-off and landing you (may) need all available engine power in case of engine failure to gain/maintain height.
An electrical failure during cruise isn't so dramatic since it will affect the engine performance only slightly (this is speed will drop but acft will not stall...)

B737229

Post by B737229 »

Sure it is for getting the eye used to a lower light intensity, incase of an ermergency. This making an evacuation easier
Secondary maybe the lower load on the AC generators (read more engine thrust), but i dont think the inluence is so big during normal operations

Badabing

Post by Badabing »

I knew I was at the right place to find an answer to this enigma ! :idea:
Thanks to all !

Lame

Post by Lame »

Looks like this is already well covered, but just to confirm. :wink:

Yes, it is done PURELY to get your eyes used to the amount of light IF there was an emergency, and you are down to only the emergency lights.

In Australia most Airlines tell you they are doing it so that you may see the lights of ****** (whatever City), they do NOT tell you about the real reason. :wink:

Also on most modern aircraft, the electrical and pneumatic loads are not a problem at all. Even on older aircraft there is usually provision made for the loads on takeoff, like one or both air conditioning packs shut down for a short time etc, varies of course with different aircraft. :D

SN30952

Dimmed cabin lights landings.

Post by SN30952 »

luchtzak wrote:Hi all,
I was told that the cabin lights need to be dimmed (not turned off) and the reason for that is to 'adjust the eyes to the dark' ciao, Bart :rock:
Indeed, the most difficult factor to control is the human factor.
By dimming the lights the passenger is softly forced to concentrate on the manoeuvre. His body and mind get better prepared for the landing: in 99,9999% of all cases, everything goes well.
Meanwhile (s)he is looking around, and memorizes the position where (s)he is seated, where the doors are, who is next to her/him ectera...
Remember there was a time when airlines had cameras, under the aircraft or on the nose landing gear. They maybe still have these cams, but the vdo screens do not show the picture no longer when landing, the same with the route maps-, flying time- etc display... This all goes under the same definition as dimmed cabin lights. Notice in daytime landing, this gear is also switched off.
But for some landings the bird's eye view is worth dimming the lights, isn't it? My favoured dimmed light landings were the landing in Capre Town, with the 12 Apostles in the warm glow of the sunset of a cold evening in July.
Wellington, with its illuminated cornish of a clear summer night in December is also worthwhile looking from a dimmed cabin.
But the most beautiful nighttime landing of all times was and probably will be Hong Kong, Kai Tak, on Chinese new year with the fire works. (Disney world, had also a daily firework, but that was to well-organised..., the 'official' Disney airlines used circle over the Disneyworld, in the evenings...)