air greenland - profitable?

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

heathrow

air greenland - profitable?

Post by heathrow »

I have notice Air Greenland around for a while, and it has made me wonder - is it profitable? There can't be that much air traffic between greenland and scandinavia, and also domestic flights within greenland. Wouldn't it be smarter for them to have flights to North America, and make connections? Why have they chosen this? Thanks,

Rudi Thomas

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

µThey only have 2 long haul flights, wich are to Copenhagen. This is the only logical destination (Greenland is a part of Denmark).
They are not an ordinary airline, since their goal is providing vital links to all the communities in Greenland, and a link to the motherland.

Surprisingly they have been profitable the last few years according to their website http://www.airgreenland.com/index.php?pageid=224

You can see their A332 & B752 at a lot of airports though, since they do a lot of charter flights when those planes aren't flying to Greenland (the A332 is based in Copenhagen (and probably also the 752)).

As a sidenote: the A332 they are flying is an old Sabena-aircraft (and is on of the best looking aircraft in the world IMHO)
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0694710/M/

heathrow

Post by heathrow »

I think they serve one other airport. There musn't be a huge community in greenland. I would have thought a North American destination would carry many people through connnection.

P.S. The livery is VERY sexy indeed

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

There is no market for AirGreenland other than Copenhagen, since the population of Greenland is... 56375 (July 2005 est.)

I find it impressive that they still have both the 757 & the A330. It looks like they found a profitable niche in chartering out their aircraft. Just look at A.net: they can be seen everywhere in Europe and further away...