Chinese Buffet On The Yorkshire Coast

This is the place to hang out when you have finished your aviation related discussions, please remain always friendly and respectful against each other! Offensive and/or racist remarks are not allowed.
Comet

Chinese Buffet On The Yorkshire Coast

Post by Comet »

I am writing this review while it is still fresh in my mind (I have only just returned home from this one!!)

Okay, this is not the greatest review I've written, but no one else has submitted a review of a Chinese restaurant.

The Kam Sang Restaurant, on the corner of North Marine Road and Castle Road in Scarborough offers a special all-you-can-eat buffet between 12:30 and 2pm on a Sunday. The cost is £6 per person not including any drinks. The menu varies from week to week (I have been several times for this buffet and had different food on each occasion).

Today I sampled: prawn crackers, those wonderful melt in the mouth things, very light and crisp; egg fried rice, which was very fresh as we arrived before the buffet opened so we were one of the first to eat; chicken curry, just enough so the sauce covered the rice, as I love curry sauce; seasame prawn toasts - these are a favourite of mine, the bread is topped with mashed up prawn and then sesame seeds before being deep fried, it is absolutely divine!! Deep fried crab claws was a new addition to the menu - a crab claw and a small amount of white crab meat coated in a fine batter and deep fried, very unusual to find this on the buffet menu, but it was a welcome addition, being of a perfect consistency. Sometimes it is possible to find samosas, spring rolls and prawn wontons on the menu (I adore small crispy things like those, so I was disappointed that they weren't available today!) Also available was chicken and sweetcorn soup - this was my first attempt at a Chinese soup, but it was good, with a perfect balance of chicken and sweetcorn kernels in a thick stock base.

This Sunday buffet is extremely popular and very well worth the money!!

I am working up to writing my best and most descriptive review of them all. In the words of the song "you ain't seen nothing yet!!"
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

This is an afterthought, I'd forgotten all about it when I was writing the main report!!

The beer served at Kam Sang consists of Carlsberg (the beer of choice for restaurants in Scarborough as their beer on tap), Budweiser in a bottle, Chinese-brewed Tsingtao - passable and easy drinking, okay with curry but not a connoisseurs beer and Tiger, which is brewed in Singapore and is of a higher quality than Tsingtao. More often than not when we go for an evening meal I will drink Tiger as my choice of beer. On the Sunday lunch buffet I just have orange juice.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

They also have good themed evenings here - New Year's Eve, Chinese New Year etc with special banquet meals. Once had a very nice New Year's Eve celebration here, but you do need to book well in advance for these.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Sounds very appetising.

Many Chinese restaurants have similar formulas, also in Belgium.

I wouldn't call Carlsberg a beer of choice, not even a beer at all. Tsingtao is the export beer of China, but I agree that Tiger is better.

When is my next trip to Scarborough?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

I always drink Carlsberg when we go to our absolute favourite Italian (first restaurant review I ever submitted on here), I don't mind it that much, but then again I don't have all those wonderful Belgian brands to choose from here...

I've never tried an ethnic restaurant in Belgium, but I adore ethnic foods so I will have to go to one next time.

More Scarborough restaurant reviews will follow, I promise. But the next one I write will be the best yet. I had several meals at this place, tried several new beers here and we went every night when we were in Mechelen.
Louise