second go around in three months for me

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
mark_in_motion

second go around in three months for me

Post by mark_in_motion »

Last summer I posted a message about a go around with Virgin Express at MJV.... ( https://www.aviation24.be/postp112467.html#112467 )

Some weeks ago I had the same here at VLC with Vueling (from AMS)... Again no information from the crew, but when I left the plane I asked it and they said it was because of traffic on the runway...

Does it really happen that much, or am I simply unlucky (or lucky, just how you want to see it)?

Saludos,

Mark

regi

Post by regi »

I think that we would not like to see front view camera's sights when a plane has to do a go around.
Just saw a picture of a 747 in such a situation. Not very convincing. Scary stuff.

mark_in_motion

Post by mark_in_motion »

Hi Regi,

Is that picture public? In other words: can you provide us a link?

Saludos,

Mark

Avro

Post by Avro »

I don't think it happens that much. During all my spoting I saw it once and never had it on my flights.
But don't worry, if it happens it's better for your safety.

BTW the picture Regi is referring to is this one I think: http://www.airliners.net/open.file/972099/L/

Chris

loutri666

Post by loutri666 »

It happened to me when we were landing (with FR from CRL) in CCF. That was very surprising !!!!! We were very scared in the aircraft because the crew didn't say anything about what happened... :(

regi

Post by regi »

Avro, you are my man! Yep, that is the scary picture.

Ovostar

Post by Ovostar »

i had a scaary one in a TWA flight from New York la guardia and Tampa, an awful experience. THe pilot didn't land, at the last second, because the wind was too strong...

Avro

Post by Avro »

regi wrote:Avro, you are my man! Yep, that is the scary picture.
To be honest I don't find the picture very scary. I would find it scary if the B747 would have landed !!!

Chris
8)

Knight255

Post by Knight255 »

One of two problems:
1) ATC didn't provide enough separation in the approach phase and it wasn't the pilot's fault.
2) IDS (Idiot-Pilot Syndrome), the pilot may have been flying a faster than normal approach, or the plane on the runway took its sweet time in applying T/O power. Either way, one of the pilots goofed up.

Frankly, THIS SHOULDN'T HAPPEN!!! :x This wastes money on fuel and time when an airliner has to go around either because of a stupid pilot or air traffic controller. Get this, I was once told to go-around for traffic that was overtaking me from behind and I was already cleared to land!! :shakehead:
"What's this button do?? I don't know, push it and find out................."

Avro

Post by Avro »

Knight255 wrote:or the plane on the runway took its sweet time in applying T/O power.
The DC10 on the runway is landing and not in it's T/O pahse ;)

Chris

stroman

Post by stroman »

loutri666 wrote:It happened to me when we were landing (with FR from CRL) in CCF. That was very surprising !!!!! We were very scared in the aircraft because the crew didn't say anything about what happened... :(
I can assure you that a go-around is a very stressy period for the pilots. You are preparing to land and all of a sudden you have to set T/O power, set a new heading, contact atc, retract the gear, retract the flaps, etc. So I think you can forgive the pilots if they don't inform the pax right away of what is happening.
Ofcourse I do agree it is appropriate of someone of the crew (pilots or FA's)to inform the pax later on of what happened.
By the way, I wouldn't say a go-around happens very often, but it does happen occasuionally and it's absolutely nothing to worry about. (except if you have to make 4 or 5 on the same flight ofcourse :wink: )

grtz,

stroman :wink:

grtz

Knight255

Post by Knight255 »

The DC10 on the runway is landing and not in it's T/O pahse

Oops!! :oops: Then, what I meant to say is that they shouldn't have taken their sweet time in taxing off the active runway! :x
"What's this button do?? I don't know, push it and find out................."

concordino

Post by concordino »

Had my first ever go overshoot (go-around for the US amongst us) at Dublin last week in a Ryanair 738. Down to about 200 feet when power was applied and we climbed out with little drama. Captain came on the intercom after a few minutes to explain that there had been a slow clearing aircraft (I suspect another Ryanair as if it had been AerLingus we would have been told!) after that a short climb and a long circuit back to land. No problem just 10 minutes late arriving.

Although my first experience I have seem so many over the years I can't count. It never surprises me at places like Heathrow or Chicago where traffic is so dense but I can never understand there being a problem at Brussels wherre traffic is so sparse these days yet I have seen at least 2 o/s this year.

Much morescary was a day at Heathrow in the 70's where from the Queen's Building (the original viewing terraces at the 'row) we witnessed an Aeroflot Il-62 land long after flying up and over a British AW VC-10 which was lined up on the runway. Not sure if the 'flot pilot got to fly back to Moscow - bet the passengers loved that one.

C