BRU-MAN with SNBA - Last Flight of Year (Illustrated)

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

BRU-MAN with SNBA - Last Flight of Year (Illustrated)

Post by Comet »

On 17th November, we had our last flight of the year when we returned to Manchester from Brussels. We were staying in the Eurostars Royal Embassy Grand Place Hotel, which was a very nice hotel and one which we would go to again. The only problem was the taxi - we asked the receptionist to get us a taxi, he told us there were only two taxis available, and people were in front of us so we would have to wait 20-30 minutes. We waited, and the only taxi which came took someone who had only been waiting for five minutes, so VC10 went to complain. Eventually we got sick of waiting for the taxi, and instead walked to Centraal station. This cock up with taxis is something we would expect in Paris.

Centraal is an underground hole, and the most dismal of the main Brussels stations. Shortly before our train arrived, an Oostende train pulled in at the next platform, and how I envied the people going on that train, the service we would have been catching to go to Brugge :cry: After a short wait, the familiar yellow triangle of the front of the sh*tty thing came into view, and we managed to get in the carriage with the better seats and armrests. This ride was better than the one of two days before, as this time we could see more through the windows, and I managed a glimpse of my most beloved city landmark looking splendid in its new shiny coat. After leaving Zaventem, the train headed underground for the final run in to the airport.

We checked in for flight SN2177, and were given seats 10A and 10C. Boarding would be gate B29, something I like about Brussels is the boarding gate number on the card so you have a better idea where to go. We headed upstairs to the eating area.

Close to the seating area, we saw an abandoned suitcase. This did not look good, so we avoided it, and told a passing policeman, who said that it would be long to one of the homeless people sleeping in the airport, and it was not a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How did he know that it did not contain something explosive??!!?? Very bad security, Brussels Airport loses points for that one :evil: We had dinner in Brussels Cafe - sausages on bread for me (very good) and ham on bread for VC10. We had genuine Stella to drink.

After dinner we went into the departure lounge. At this point, I was very pleased to see (and bag) my first-ever Etihad A330 on the stop over to Toronto from Abu Dhabi.

BA Airbus passing Etihad A330.

We had quite a bit of handluggage, including two bags of beer and a soft toy cat we bought in the shop in the departures area.

The toy cat in the BRU departure lounge.

Had they changed our airline at the last minute? :lol:

That's better!

Our flight was to be operated by our old friend (?) OO-DJG, a BAe 146. This was my third flight in this aircraft, my least favourite of the lot.

OO-DJG is just visible at gate B29.

At 14:42 we were called to board. By this time it was raining. We entered the aircraft and were greeted by an unpleasant aroma resembling the inside of a used sick bag. It was disgusting! I have never been on an aircraft which smelled so bad.

We settled into our seats. There were two stewardesses on board (why, SNBA, don't we have stewards on our flights any more? :roll: ) Again I had my favoured backe ngine view, and this time we were able to put our coats into the overhead bins.

The engines.

Inside the airborne stink bomb.

There were several spare seats on the plane, so VC10 moved across to seat 10F and I stayed in my own seat. The bag of beers ended up being placed in seat 10C and secured with the seat belt.

The beers in their own seat.

At 15:02 we were pushed back and taxied to 25R. We were told that the flight time was expected to be one hour and 10 minutes. Two aircraft were taking off in front of us.

At 15:10, we took off and climbed through thin cloud.

Just after take off.

We flew towards the Atomium, and had some good views as we climbed away.

Shortly, we climbed into thicker cloud and out of sight of land.

Clouds along the way.

The snack on board consisted of a cherry tart with a carton of water. The tart was one of the pleasantest snacks I have had on SNBA.

The nice snack, rounded off with two Neuhaus chocolates!

We encountered some slight turbulence higher up, but nothing too bad. One thing which was noticed was the lack of magazine distribution on the flight.

Eventually we sighted England and began our descent.

Unknown river.

Approaching MAN. It was clear and sunny at this point of the flight.

At 15:13, the gear lowered, and at 15:15 we landed in Manchester after a very pleasant flight.

Touchdown in MAN and a BA Airbus.

The Airbus again.

A Lufthansa Regional CRJ.

Also, we saw our old friend from our other Belgain trips of 2005 as it was about to depart somewhere!

Little Tartan Tail (officially G-EMBK) about to leave. This is my favourite BA aircraft of them all.

I was sad to see the end of our Belgian flights for 2005. See you again in 2006 SNBA!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

very nice report like usual Louise!

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks Danny, glad you liked it!
Louise

b-west

Post by b-west »

Nice report! Btw, SN still has male F/A's... on my flight to Istanbul we were greeted by what must be the most happy male F/A ever :D The guy was smiling all the way to Istanbul :)

bigjulie

Post by bigjulie »

Good report Louise! :wink:

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for the comments. The last SNBA stewards on our flights were on A319s last year.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for nice report, Louise.

Central Station in Brussels is probably the busiest railway station of Belgium, but with only 6 tracks it looks indeedalways congested.

In the past there was a track called 1A, exclusively reserved for the Sabena non-stop blue trains to the airport. Sabena was one of he first airlines in the world to run trains to an airport.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Nice report!

And they are also refurbishing the inside of central station so next time u come it should already look much more cleaner and friendly :)

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks Andre and Vinnie. I never knew Sabena had run their own train, they were certainly pioneering, I know they were the first airline to operate international helicopter services. I think the worst thing about Centraal is the fact that it is below ground level, I prefer Noord or Zuid and also because I like to take photos of the trains as well :oops: which I can't do at Centraal. We only use that station when we are actually going to Brussels itself, when we need to change we use one of the others. I can easily imagine that is the busiest station in Belgium!
Louise

Bottie

Post by Bottie »

sn26567 wrote:In the past there was a track called 1A, exclusively reserved for the Sabena non-stop blue trains to the airport. Sabena was one of he first airlines in the world to run trains to an airport.
indeed, EMU 592 to 598 were once in Sabena-colors

regi

Post by regi »

I am very sensitive to air sickness and I do remember a flight to Berlin with the Avro where the descend was very long and wobly, pushing my breakfast a bit upwards.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Louise, another thing that should interest you: Central Station was designed by the most famous Belgian architect of all times, the creator of Art Nouveau: Victor Horta.

And as Vinnie Winnie said, it is being completely renovated.
André
ex Sabena #26567

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

Nicely elaborated report comet! Really enjoyed reading it! I hope the smell on your next snba flight will be a little better :wink:

bAIR

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks again Andre, and thanks to you bAIR. I have never been on an aircraft which smelled like that at boarding, it was just a one off, hopefully :lol:

The only reason I dislike the Centraal station is the underground platform area, otherwise it is a good station with handy shops and a good location. What is being renovated, is it the platform bit, the outside, the shops or what? The earliest I will see it again is late March, when we are hoping to get over again for our summer beers, and another stay in that very nice hotel. I can really recommend the Eurostars Royal Embassy Grand Place, the food was nice, the rooms very good and the location very handy. The only downside was the problem with the taxis.
Louise