MAN-BRU with SNBA 15th November 2005 (Beer Shopping!)

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

MAN-BRU with SNBA 15th November 2005 (Beer Shopping!)

Post by Comet »

Last week we made our annual winter-beer buying trip to Brussels. Unlike the trip last November, we were flying from Manchester. We booked a night in Bewleys Hotel near the airport and spent Monday spotting while there was sufficient daylight.

On the 14th November we had an early start, as we had to catch a train at 07:04 from Scarborough to Manchester Airport, the train was due into Manchester at 09:47, which gave us plenty of time to spot after checking into Bewleys. We had booked Bewleys online, and had been given a reservation number only, no vouchers to give to reception. I do not like this idea at all, and our worst fears were about to be realised when the receptionist told us that there was no record of our reservation in the system! That was the first and last time we reserve that hotel via its own website! I dread to think what would happen if this had been a flight. They managed to find us a room, but if they had been full I don't know where we would have stayed. The rest of the stay in Bewleys was uneventful and pleasant, as I do like that hotel and its very handy location.

On the 15th November, after breakfast and checking out of Bewleys, we headed across to terminal 3 to check in. The check in is manned by British Airways and also handles all their European flights as well as SNBA and Finnair. We were given seats 8A and 8C, and it was nice to see BRU going onto our solitary checked in suitcase.

After check in we went straight through into the departure area, as that is good for spotting aircraft you cannot see from the cafe, and the morning is a good time to see US heavies which I have had few opportunities to photograph. The American Airlines services to Boston and New York were being prepared,s o I took photos of both aircraft in the early morning sun (it was a sunny cold day, better than the previous day!)

The American Airlines 757 parked at its gate. I believe this may have been the Boston aircraft.

A close up of the 757's nice nose.

A different view of the 757.

The American 767, believed destined for New York.

A closer view of the aircraft.

British Airways also had a 767 service to new York being prepared, this is the only intercontinental BA service from an airport outside London.

The BA 767 in the early morning sun.

Naturally there were smaller aircraft around too. Notably British Airways Dash 8s and ERJs.

A World Tail Dash 8 from the departure lounge.

This little ERJ145 was destined for Madrid.

Another first for me was the Sun Air Dornier 328 which operates the BA franchise service to Billund in Denmark.

The 328 of Sun Air. Not the best photo of this aircraft but I had to grab the opportunity while it was there.

We had a drink in Bar 08, which has a better range of food, and prices, than the overpriced and frankly crap Lancaster Brasserie where we had eaten the previous day. When we had eaten in the Lancaster back in June the food had been superb, but this time it was gross.

At 09:57, the moment we were waiting for arrived. Flight SN2173 from Brussels, operated by BAe 146 OO-DJH, arrived and taxied to gate 50.

Views of OO-DJH at the gate.

We waited impatiently for the boarding call, which came at 10:14. We made our way along the airbridge and into the aircraft, where we were greeted by the female purser, with another stewardess at the back (don't SNBA have stewards on the RJs, I have only been on one RJ which had a steward on!)

We saw someone in our seat, and the air almost turned blue because there is no way I was going to lose my seat on a flight to BRU! I won't repeat what I almost said, but the person moved and we got to our seat. There was not enough room in the overhead bin to even put a coat, so i had to keep my coat on for the duration of the flight on this very warm aircraft. All the underwing seats had this problem.

I had my favoured back engine view.

The view.

Alongside us was a Finnair aircraft being prepared for Helsinki.

The Finnair aircraft from OO-DJH.

We were pushed back at 10:26, and the stewardess handed out the inflight magazine.

A member of the Airliner World forum took a photo of our aircraft as it taxied for take off. To see his superb photo, click on the link and scroll down http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=50574

We taxied to the runway, and the pilot announced that we had immediate take off clearance as there was nothing waiting to land or take off in front of us! This was the first time this has happened since we flew from London City, and we taxied quickly to the end of the runway. As soon as we reached the runway end, the engines roared to life and we hurtled forwards. At 10:35 we became airborne, and flight SN2174, coded with British Airways and American Airlines, was given an expected flight time of 55 minutes.

Just after take off from MAN. Nice and clear and bright weather!

It was nice and clear when we took off, but as we climbed the cloud increased and thickened as we flew further from Manchester.

The cloud along the way.

Shortly into the flight, the food boxes were handed out. Mine contained an apple tart and a carton of water. The apple tart was quite pleasant, with large chunks of apple.

The snack. This was nicely complimented by the yellow and green label Neuhaus chocolates handed dout shortly after!

As we neared Belgium, the Captain announced that it was raining in Brussels, and the cloud was now very thick, as we were descending into more cloud.

As we finally descended below the cloud level, we caught our first glimpse of beloved Belgium.

The gear lowered at 12:31, and, at 12:33, we made a smooth touch down on runway 25L.

It was great to be back again, and we taxied to the A terminal (gate A47). As this was a GB flight, and GB is not a Schengen country, we were bussed to the B terminal for passport formalities and to collect our luggage (which appeared very quickly thanks to the efficient ground crews).

We had a meal in Brussels Cafe, and also our first drink of Vieux Temps beer.

I could get used to this! :lol:

The flight had been very good, with a pleasant and professional crew.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

JetB

Post by JetB »

I like the pictures Louise and hope you had a great time.
So AA is flying the 757 transatlantic !, don't think I would like that so much...

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

nice report, I enjoyed reading it as usual!

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks JetB and sab. AA are not the only US carrier using the 757 to the UK, Continental have a service to BHX with the 757, and also to MAN as well. DL use the 767 and US the A330.

And I have a correction from a reliable source about AA - the other flight was Chicago, not New York. The New York is operated by BA in code with AA.
Louise

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Isn't it just plane ;) difficult to carry beer on a plane! The Journey must be horrendous since glass bottles are quit heavy!

If I were you would take a car drive to newcastle then take a boat to zeebrugge! Much more easy and you might be able to bring more beer back :) (basically a booze cruise hahaha)

Are there still some limits on the amount of alcohol you can take back inside the UK?

Anyway nice report as usual...

Comet

Post by Comet »

Vinnie - our bottles are wrapped up like Egyptian mummies to make the journey home :lol: It wasn't too bad on the return, the flight was not full and there were spare seats, so one bag of beer had a seat of its own and it was strapped in with the seatbelt. But it would make no difference going on the ferry (with the exception of missing out on a flight, some spotting and several hours which could be spent in Belgium) because we don't drive so we would onbly be able to bring back what we could fit in our bags. I don't know how much alcohol you can bring into the UK from another EU country for your own consumption.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Nice report. It reminds me my own nine trips to and from MAN this year (and still one to come).

Luoise, I don't know what you have almost said to the man who was occupying your seat, and I don't want to know, but what did you actually say?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

I don't remember my exact words, I just remember telling VC10 that someone was in our :censored: seat. There was no way I would give up my place on the aircraft, we had booked the tcikets early this year, and checked in in good time as soon as the check in had opened, so like hell would we be bumped off the flight! But it all sorted itself very quickly.

We are aiming to have another trip over to Brussels next March, but not sure exactly which airport yet, I will check up to see what deals we can get from NCL too. BHX is out of the question after the hassles with the tea time trains in September. From now on we will have NCL as our "reserve" airport, which is a pity because I love BHX to bits.
Louise

bigjulie

Post by bigjulie »

So be sure when you take a flight anywhere in the world, that you get into the correct seat or you might just happen to have Comet give you a mouthful of :censored: stuff.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet wrote:We are aiming to have another trip over to Brussels next March, but not sure exactly which airport yet.
Are you really going to try Brussels South Charleroi? :P
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote:
Comet wrote:We are aiming to have another trip over to Brussels next March, but not sure exactly which airport yet.
Are you really going to try Brussels South Charleroi? :P
Hahaha we're just not sure whether it will be from MAN or NCL. I'd like to try NCL, it depends what we can find on Expedia.
Louise