BRU-BHX with SN Brussels 15th September 2005 Illustrated

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

BRU-BHX with SN Brussels 15th September 2005 Illustrated

Post by Comet »

This is the report of our flight home from holiday.

After catching the train from Brugge to Brussels Airport via Brussels Zuid, we checked in at desk 7. We were given seats 5E and 5F, in what we expected to be an A319. We had a fair bit of handluggage, including a bottle of champagne presented to us by the owners of the hotel in Brugge, so we had to take good care of that!

We had a snack in Brussels Cafe - VC10 had spaghetti bolognese and I had croque monsieur. Exactly the same things as we had eaten 10 days before on our arrival.

After passport control, we went to see the aircraft, and I managed to get some reasonable video and some photos. The weather, however, was a big let down - very overcast and eventually rainy.

A Delta 767 takes off.

DHL 757.

Gemini Air Cargo MD11.

Iberia takes off.

Pushback completed for a Royal Air Maroc 737.

Royal Air Maroc takes off.

A Tyrolean CRJ takes off, and the cargo door of the MD11 is open and being loaded.

Also seen was a 757 of Ethiopian cargo.

After passing through the security bag check, we went into the departure lounge and did some more spotting.

Jetair.

And again.

Another Royal Air Maroc.

Cyprus Airways arrives.

Cyprus Airways and British Airways.

A nice international line up - Croatian, Moroccan, Cypriot and British aircraft.

Our flight was to depart from gate B17.

Flight SN2043 - scheduled departure time 15:35.

As the weather worsened, we saw our aircraft approach. It was our old friend OO-SSK - the only SNBA A319 I have been on, we had two flights on this one last year as well.

OO-SSK approaches the gate.

OO-SSK.

At 15:09, the hated boarding call was made, and we were well back in the queue. As we boarded, we were greeted by two stewardesses, whilst one stood at the back of the aircraft.

Through the window, and the rain, I could see a new (for me) VLM aircraft - OO-VLZ.

View through the rain.

OO-VLZ - City of Rotterdam.

As we boarded, music was played, and the Airshow information screen was on. At that time, the outside air temperature was 18 degrees C, and the distance to Birmingham was 287 miles.

Once all the passengers had boarded, the youngest of the stewardesses raced along the cabin with the inflight magazine, Connect. At the speed she dashed past, which would rival Concorde, no one had a chance to actually get a magazine even though people wanted them! Not a very good first impression of this particular stewardess!

At 15:35 we were pushed back, and taxied to runway 25R. We had an excellent view of the impounded Antonov.

At 15:50, we finally took off after a CSA aircraft landed. We were told there would be turbulence, and looking at the state of the weather, we expected it anyway!

Just after take off. The aircraft on the ground is a 747.

Climbing through the cloud.

As we climed through 14,100 feet, we hit the turbulence, and the seat belt signs came on again. We experienced more heavy turbluence at 20,000 feet.

Cloud along the way.

We left the Belgian coast at Oostende and flew over the Channel. The snack was handed out - cherry tart and water. I had orange juice to drink.

The snack.

We cruised at 24,000 feet, by which time the turbluence had cleared. By this time we were near the south east coast of England.

Land and cloud.

Land.

Land.

Land.

I noted the infdo from the Airshow display: at 24,000 feet the OAT was -25 degrees C, ground speed was 387 miles per hour.

When the chocolates were handed out, I noticed the wrappers were different, and I chose a pink wrapper.

We approached Birmingham directly over Luton.

A turbulent descent throught his hideous, thick cloud!

We approached BHX but had to wait to land because the airport was busy.

Hideous weather on approach, and a rainbow.

We landed at 15:44, a minute early, in BHX. Shortly after we saw a Eurowings CRJ take off. The hideous Alitalia Embraer 170 had also just arrived.

Touchdown in BHX.

The hideous Embraer 170. The tails on the left belong to a Jetstream of Eastern and a BAe 146 of British Airways.

Eastern and BA at Eurohub - our A319 was the largest aircraft in that section of the airport normally occupied by smaller aircraft. Note the hideous black clouds!

A good flight, bit turbulent, crew pleasant but could have been better regarding magazine had out.

And I have it all again in November!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for nice report, Louise. I had been waiting...

What you call JetAir is actually TUI Airlines Belgium. JetAir is the name of the Tour operator owned by TUI in Belgium.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

nice report, and nice pics!!

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for the comments.

Andre - I called it JetAir because that's what it says on the aircraft, I recognised the TUI livery but thought it better to give the aircraft's name. I have cityguide type reports to come soon, as soon as I get chance to get the photos uploaded, and nice photos of good beers too :twisted:
Formerly known as sab319
But your name is still sab319 :?
Louise

MD-11

Post by MD-11 »

Nice report and nice pics too Louise! 8)
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks Bart!
Louise

regi

Post by regi »

If you got a bottle of champagne is a hotel in Brugge, I expect it was the Home Fleuri Park hotel. Right? (Alex & Frederique)

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Thanks Comet for this nice flight report!

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks Luchtzak!
regi wrote:If you got a bottle of champagne is a hotel in Brugge, I expect it was the Home Fleuri Park hotel. Right? (Alex & Frederique)
No, it was the Hotel Van Eyck. We were there last year and they remembered us. The champagne was a surprise gift they just gave us as we sat at breakfast on the morning we checked out of the hotel. We like that hotel because it has a great location, near our favourite bar, near the shops and the Markt and near some good priced eating places.
Louise

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Great Great Great trip report!!!!

Ever thought about becoming a professional airline reviewer? :)

concordino

Post by concordino »

Another awesome collection from the Scarborough lens-lass.

Concordino

Comet

Post by Comet »

Vinnie-Winnie wrote:Great Great Great trip report!!!!

Ever thought about becoming a professional airline reviewer? :)
Yes, if the pay's good! :lol:
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

To conclude this trip report:

As I wrote of the journey down from Scarborough to Birmingham via York, I shall say something of the journey home.

On this occasion, the trains were running from Birmingham International, and we saw that a direct train to York was due, so we waited for that. It was a few minutes late, which we thought looked ominous, especially as we remembered the problems with the Voyagers from a few weeks ago! We even missed out on a ride on a Pendolino whilst we waited for the York train.

Eventually, this very full train arrived, and we just managed to grab a seat, but it was announced that there were power problems and the train would be going no further than Birmingham New Street! And all the people from the train would have to wait for another replacement Voyager to arrive!

We saw how busy the replacement Voyager was going to be, so we waited for the next train! And the next train also contained passengers whose other train had broken down, so that was full too! We got a seat, thankfully, but we wish we had been in first class because this was not a pleasant journey. The Voyager is a very nice train, and Virgin Trains onboard service is unrivalled, but the Voyager seems to have alot of problems.
Louise

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

It was nice to read about your SN experience, thank you!

Sorry for the very late reply, but better late than never I guess...

It's nice to be able to fly the A319 on such a short flight. The difference in comfort between the ARJ and A32S is big in my opinion (although the Avro's of SN have relatively comfortable leather seats), so the A319 makes up for a nice change.

I'd like to know how much of the passengers on the UK destinations, served by SN only (like BHX and BRS), are BA passengers...

Regards
Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for the comments Frederic. It was nice to see the A319 on the BHX run, it has occasionally done the morning one (SN2037/8) and most times the afternoon one is the ARJ.

This route is a successful one for SNBA, there are more SN flights from BHX than other UK airports and all the ones I have been on have been mostly full, the quietest one was SN2038 on 31st March 2004.

I would imagine that most passengers are SN passengers rather than BA code passengers, I have always checked out the prices for BA tickets on the same flights and they are always a bit more expensive than an SN one. If people shop around then I think they are more likely to go with SN.

The A319 is comfortable, and last year we were lucky enough to get row 10 with the extra legroom, but I was more than happy with row 5 because of the good view for photos, only the weather was a big let down.
Louise

bigjulie

Post by bigjulie »

Good report & good pictures, Comet! :laugh:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Sabena_690 wrote:I'd like to know how much of the passengers on the UK destinations, served by SN only (like BHX and BRS), are BA passengers...
I have a British colleague comeing from BRS to BRU several times a year. He flies on SN tickets, not only because of the price, but also because of the generous FF programme.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

For our next SNBA flights I hope we get an ARJ then it could be one of the Asterix planes, I've never been in a logojet before. When I checked the flight details it was showing as ARJ for both ways, so I will keep an eye open for the Asterix jets!
Louise

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

I do hope you get to fly on one of them logojets Comet!

Greetz