Long waiting times at security checkpoints in Brussels

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
luchtzak

Long waiting times at security checkpoints in Brussels

Post by luchtzak »

https://www.aviation24.be/article10079.html

Last 2 weeks many flights have been delayed as passengers where held up at security checkpoints at Brussels Airport, did this already affect you on your business or leisure travel and in your opinion: what should be done to improve this situation?

EBAW_flyer

Post by EBAW_flyer »

Securair (who is responsible for the security checks at Brussels) got their orders from BIAC (in accordance with Belgian/European laws) and they just do what they are told to do. So don't blame securair. The problem is that BRU has a very noticeable peak between 8 and 10 AM, especially in the B-pier (non-shengen) caused by African and transatlantic flights. The only advice is to COME EARLY. Don't show up one hour in advance for an intercontinental flight. And even not for a European flight! There's just not enough room for extra security, so passengers should just arrive on time. At the moment it takes up to 45 minutes to pass passport control and security.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

I will give you this important information.

BIAC had a plan to re-design the B-pier. BIAC know that the security check is a problem at this moment. They have a lack of stations. The security check and design of the B-pier are before 9/11. After that time a lot changed.

Some airlines complained this situation especially during the morning traffic. Also passengers have no time to do the shopping stores.

According to the spokesman of BIAC they have at this moment a new plan but don't expect this in de coming months.

For the A-pier they don't have this problem of space - that's the main reason - but for the A-pier they have a lack of security personnel.

JetB

Post by JetB »

The A pier has a lack of security personnel !, that is something I do not understand Atlantis ?.

Securair is one company and crew is being moved from the A to the B pier a few times per shift. So saying the the problem for the A pier is the lack of security personnel is wrong !.

Securair in general has a problem keeping crew, why ?. As a former employee I can say that things turned sour especially after the privatization. My sceduel was beyond bad, I had to work six days a week constantly ( and I only had a 30 hour contract ). I don't even want to go into detail about the working conditions and the respect this company has for its employees.

Last summer they even had Randstad looking for people, "intirim security crew" how low can you really go !. This has nothing to do with security anymore but with giving the customer a safe feeling !. That is also the main reason why BIAC doesn't really care, security is only costing money and not making money.

A few times I wrote a report about the situation and I was told to "shut up" ! ( and that is why I eventually left the company ).
Not even now I want to go into detail but when things really get bad at the airport and lines super are long, it isn't Securair to decide not to check people / bags but BIAC to just let them go to the AC without any control !.

Securair is only doing what BIAC wants, nothing more and nothing less !. And in my opinion that is a pretty lousy job .

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

I don't want to give more info, as you said Securair do what BIAC says and BIAC have also their story. So, I don't want to create a debate Securair vs BIAC. Even this is not the discussion. The problem is the current place of the security check at the B-pier. The problems you had with Securair are intern. We are not going to discuss this because this is making a company in a bad daylight.

But what I was saying is correct. A lot changed lately. You can read it in the newspapers, internet, television. Securair needs very badly 130 new employees.

And the bad workconditions are not the only problem.

waldova

Post by waldova »

Only problems in the B-pier? Let me correct you. Since September there are many many delays in the A-pier too. It gets that bad that BIAC has to shut down the rolling carpets in the tunnel because of the huge cue! So there really is a problem. In the summer months when there was more passenger traffic this problem didn't exist. It started from September while BIAC was changing all the security at BRU. I really have to say they didn't make it better, they just made it worse causing many delays and many frustrated passengers.

JetB

Post by JetB »

BIAC is the one in charge and overlooking / controlling Securair so BIAC is the one responsible, but Securair isn't holy aether !.

As a company you should know things are going wrong when 25 to 30 % crew is leaving, year round !!!!!!.

Btw, do you remember the Telefacts report ?, that was pretty pathetic and do you know why ?.
It would not have taken me 2 months to get a fake bomb on a AA flight but only two days !. That is how dome that reporter really was, and how bad security really is !.

I refuse to open my mouth about Securair's internal problems, but I don't fiend the problems I had with them personal !.
Especially if so many passengers pay this company for their protection and the work done is beyond bad !.

BIAC and Securair should be ashamed.

ATC

Post by ATC »

A few weeks ago (8 sept.) I arrived in BRU with CO from EWR.
I was lucky the plane arrived BRU early because in a few minutes all morning flights arrived in Pier B. The security queue to leave the pier was more than 200m long (!!!) 8O .
Some people had to wait for more than one hour. 8O

I saw many international passengers who were annoyed.
Not good for the BRU reputation.
( :arrow: On that day ALL security desks were open !)

That is also the main reason why BIAC doesn't really care, security is only costing money and not making money

Very dangerous statement because on the long term Business people will choose an other airport for their business. BIAC should solve this problem very fast... !
Some airlines complained this situation especially during the morning traffic. Also passengers have no time to do the shopping stores.

According to the spokesman of BIAC they have at this moment a new plan but don't expect this in de coming months.
This situation can't go on like this... it will effect BRU business.

Let's cross are fingers BIAC can solve the problem on a short therm.

greetings,
ATC

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

I think, I'm not certain, that Macquarie Airports will take action in this case. It's indeed not good for BRU, the other airlines who have connection passengers and the shops on the airport.

And think about the new long hauls who will arrive in a couple of weeks, Etihad will be the first. That's also new and more traffic. So BIAC has to take action. But as I said in an other post, they have a new plan for the B-pier. But it will take some time, as usual.

waldova

Post by waldova »

ATC wrote:A few weeks ago (8 sept.) I arrived in BRU with CO from EWR.
I was lucky the plane arrived BRU early because in a few minutes all morning flights arrived in Pier B. The security queue to leave the pier was more than 200m long (!!!) 8O .
Some people had to wait for more than one hour. 8O
Where you doing a transfer or just leaving the airport. Because if you were just leaving the airport you are talking about the costums check. And if it comes to that I really think the passengers don't have to complain, especially not the ones coming from the states. Because when you arrive in the states it is not much better. There it happens everytime that you have to wait for hours for the costums. Especially I hate it when I'm working and I see US citizens who are complaining that the costums are so slow and that this is not the case in US airports. Then I tell them, well, you know, you make it even worse for the foreigners at your airport so you have no reason to complain. Even once one of these passengers started a discussion about this. That he was american and didn't need to wait as he was American. He thought it was ashaming that he had to wait as an passenger with American passport! How strong is that!

JetB

Post by JetB »

Lets hope these problems are NOT solved to fast !.

Think about it, if BIAC and Securair fiend a solution soon that could only mean one thing.

That the quality went down big times !, how can you deliver quality when your 130 agents short ?, you cant.

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Well I personally I've had to run to catch my Virgin plane to Rome back in february...

And U know why because the A pier is so bloody far away!!! U've got to run down the escalators then up again and if U are unlucky well your plane will be waiting for you at the end of the pier! it's so bloody silly I wonder who had that wonderful idea to build tunnels instead of a bridge!

At least something can be done about the B pier! And for the unlucky passengers flying in the schengen area well too bad come in at least one hour early if you don't want to miss your flight!

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Vinnie-Winnie wrote:And for the unlucky passengers flying in the schengen area well too bad come in at least one hour early if you don't want to miss your flight!
Biac suggests you come 2 hours in advance.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

@ vinnie winnie

Everybody knows that you have to walk 20 to 30 min to the A-pier. You can calculated that when you decide to come to the airport. Then you don't have to run to catch the flight. :wink:

waldova

Post by waldova »

Yes I agree with all of you, but if the airline gives you the possibility to check in till half an hour before departure? I think the airlines should also calculate this. Maybe they should change it to 45 minutes before departure. This would at least make sure less planes leave with delays due to security causes and other things.

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

luchtzak wrote:Biac suggests you come 2 hours in advance.

I don't like to follow other people advise like a sheep :wink: Just kiddin!!!

No seriously don't U all find the A pier just ridiculously cumbersome?

Even at Heathrow I've managed to come 50 minutes before the flight and was still able to get my flight! So why should "little" brussels be different?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

EBAW_flyer wrote:The only advice is to COME EARLY. Don't show up one hour in advance for an intercontinental flight. And even not for a European flight!
20 years ago, you could arrive at BRU airport 30 minutes before departure, no matter which flight you would take (except to Israel), and be comfortable.

Now they ask you to come 2 hours in advance! Is that progress? Air transportation will lose passengers in favour of the railways if they continue this trend.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Re: Long waiting times at security checkpoints in Brussels

Post by sn26567 »

luchtzak wrote:Last 2 weeks many flights have been delayed as passengers where held up at security checkpoints at Brussels Airport, did this already affect you on your business or leisure travel and in your opinion: what should be done to improve this situation?
The way Securair are carrying out the security checks is becoming crazy. No wonder it takes so long.

One example: now very often they ask you to remove your belt. That takes time. Why not do like in FRA? If you have a belt, it might beep (it will not necessarily do so). If it beeps, manual control, else you go.

Another example: now they ask you to remove your portable computer from your bag. Why? That also takes time.

As I said in my previous message, it will soon be faster and it will always be easier to take a train. I intended to try again flying to London in November, but as I see the situation in BRU, I will again opt for the train. Traffic congestion at peak hours to get to the airport in another reason! Now I should leave home three hours before te fihght to be sure to be on-time at the gate.
André
ex Sabena #26567

snbru

Post by snbru »

SN26567, security to Israel is nothing special anymore. I took a SN flight. Flights to TLV have different check in but no extra security checks except for the normal pier B checks.

Erna

Post by Erna »

@sn26567

Apparently they cannot "see" through a computer.... and at CDG they cannot "see" through glass bottles (like the ones medicines are stored in)... sigh....

But let me tell you an almost unbelievable story that happened to me last year (I'm not proud of it, but it really happened unintentionally): I took 8 (!) flights (CDG - KL - BKK - Khon Kaen - Chiang Mai and back) with a pack of small razor blades in my trolley...
I really didn't know I had left them in there and nowhere, in none of the above mentioned airports, did the X-ray machine or the security personnel notice them...
I find that very alarming...

Erna