Passengers with reduced mobility - a question

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
CLW_aviator

Passengers with reduced mobility - a question

Post by CLW_aviator »

Hello,

I want to fly with Ryanair to London. They say that passengers with reduced mobility (like me) and/or requesting special assistance should call Ryanair`s call centre, otherwise the carrier might refuse to let them aboard. So, my question is, do I need to call Ryanair if I am a passenger with reduced mobility, but I DO NOT need any special assistance? I just don`t know whether to loose my time and money to call them (it would be international call), but I have to be sure that I will board the flight without any problems.

So?

Thank you for your help,
CLW_aviator

yagoceron

Post by yagoceron »

If you don't need assistance then you should not need to call them.

But if you need assistance to walk long distances or using stairs then you'd better ask for assistance.

CLW_aviator

Post by CLW_aviator »

No, I don`t need any help, and in addition, I`ll be flying with friends (who might help me if necessary). But what I wanted to know is if they can refuse to let me aboard even if I don`t need any assistance just because I didn`t notify them that my mobility is reduced. Maybe they have their own rules... I JUST NEED TO BE SURE that they will not refuse to let me fly.

yagoceron

Post by yagoceron »

In that case I can't see why they would refuse to having you on board.

The only with passenger needing assistance is that it delays the a/c turn-around in some cases but anyway, I'm not sure if refusing you access isn't illegal.

I'm a flight coordinator and while supervising a British a/c recently a passenger with restricted mobility delayed the flight for 1h20. Of course it wasn't his fault at all but believe, nobody, myself or the crew, ever thought about leaving that passenger on the ground.

CLW_aviator

Post by CLW_aviator »

Wow... you`re a flight coordinator, that made me calm (because I can rely on your opinion)...

I just think that Ryanair and EasyJet`s regulations about the disabled sound very strong...

The other thing I can`t understand is that I often have problems with my seat requests. I like to seat by the window and ground handling agents often refuse, because "their regulations require the disabled to seat in the aisle, for their comfort". They should understand that there are many kinds of disability and should establish different regulations for each kind of disability, don`t you think?
There are people who can`t move at all, and f.e. I can move, I just use special equipment to support myself (don`t know how to call it in English, my english friend once called it walking frames, he had a problem calling it as well). And that makes a big difference, f.e. between wheelchair pax and me.
I know better than they do what might cause a problem for me and that seating by the window certainly cannot be a problem for me, nor can it be a problem for all the other passengers. In case of any emergency or other problems, it would only take a second for me to change a seat.

I hope there aren`t many grammar mistakes in my long message, I`m from Poland ;-), not from England ;-).

yagoceron

Post by yagoceron »

I've never worked for Ryanair so I can't assure you anything but as long as you walk and go up stairs, personnally I can't see any problem caused to the flight timewise.

The problems with these airlines are usually short turn-arounds but I often handle flights with passengers who can't walk down the stairs and I've never had a delay apart from that day.

About the problem not being able to see where you want, it is for safety reasons. I understand you're point but I understand also why the rules are like that.

CLW_aviator

Post by CLW_aviator »

Yes, I also understand why the rules are like that... And I know why I can`t sit in an emergency exit row. However, by the window, why not, if I assure them that it`s not a problem. Of course, I often can sit where I want, but from time to time I have to argue with a handling agent ;-). But, luckily, on most of my flights I sit where I want (but before, I have to tell the flight attendant that this is really important for me)

About Ryanair and other low-costs, I don`t think that short turn-arounds are good. F.e. Centralwings... I like this airline VERY much, but their flights are often delayed (as they don`t have many planes, but have many flights in the timetable). They should - I think - lenghten this turn-around times to about an hour and then their punctuality statistics would be better...

So, thank you for your advice, I think I won`t call Ryanair this time, we`ll see what happens ;-).

yagoceron

Post by yagoceron »

I believe their turnarounds are as short as possible to make good use of the a/c.

I hope you don't any kind of trouble :wink:

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

First of all, you have to warn Ryanair.
And..... ask a confirmation for the received information.
Personally, I did the reservation for a friend with weelchair and his family.
Many many problems from the start yo the end. Special reservations, problem forme the MANUAL weelchair ... etc...
The friend was able to board alone and has help from family BUT... it was not enough for RYANAIR.
(Info for a flight from CRL to TREVISO in 2002!)

Be careful

CLW_aviator

Post by CLW_aviator »

Thanks for your advice. I don`t have a wheelchair, I will only use my (so called by my English friend) "walking frames" (this is sth similar to crutches, but much wider and much more stable to walk with)...

I think we (disabled) should be treated equally to other passengers ... Our comfort is important, but I think Ryanair makes a problem where there are no problems ;-).

bigjulie

Post by bigjulie »

:offtopic: slightly : There have been cases of airlines denying passenges boarding because they had insufficient/no footwear; from a safety aspect, I can understand why!