BRU-MXP-PRG-MXP-BRU with AZ..with CSA as a surprise (w/pics)

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
nldogbert

BRU-MXP-PRG-MXP-BRU with AZ..with CSA as a surprise (w/pics)

Post by nldogbert »

PS: Added photos. They are not that great, but I guess it sends the message across. Enjoy ;) Photos taken from the aircraft were done rather discreetly due to the fact that I was afraid of being seen by the FA's. As you know on AZ, they are rather particular about the use of electronic equipements

Hi!

Just thought I will give a small update on my latest experience with AZ. Thought of starting it as a subtopic to Sabena_690, but thought maybe i had better start a new one as not to confuse readers. So maybe you can see the comparison. Anyway, just came back from a weekend of partying(more of drinking) in Prague :oops:

This will not be a long trip report.. do have some photos.. which I still have to upload. Maybe later after the weekend :oops:

Sept 2: BRU-MXP-PRG on AZ
changed to BRU-PRG on OK (B737-500)

I was suppose to fly AZ on 2 Sept from BRU-PRG via MXP, but due to the late incoming and delayed departure of the flight to MXP, my connection to PRG would have been gone..I was directed to the ticketing counter so they could sort out a solution for me. So it was nice of AZ to put me directly onto CSA for a direct flight. It was also nice of them that they let me use their phone to call my friend in Prague to let him know about my change of flight and also my partner here to inform about the change (never know what might happen if anything does happen) It was really nice of AZ. They even offered me coffee or tea while waiting for the flight to open, but I declined, preferring to get something cold. Actually while
waiting for my ticket to be solved, noticed 2 interesting incidents

a) some italian official (from the airport badge he was wearing) with his friend/colleague came up to the counter and approached one of the staff there. They spoke in Italian (and if I am correct from what I saw ONLY), I think he was like demanding that his friend be also be sitted in Biz with him. As he was showing his boarding pass and his friends one which I noticed one was rather forward seating and the other one further back. I thought this was what was going to be Italian "culture" at its best and they the other guy will get his Biz class.. but my guess turned out to be wrong. Cause even both of them were like on the Ullisse level, i think the guy behind the counter said it was not possible. Am not sure if it was because I was just next to them and was rather seeing the whole incident they just left rather unhappy. For me, this was the right way to handle things, if you want to fly business, pay for it or ask your employer to pay for it.

b) A Belgian family, his wife lost her passport because they let their daughter play with it at the airport (unbelievable), was suppose to take a flight to JFK (rather weird) with AZ, and because of this, they could not leave and while the wife was with the police submitting a report, he was at the AZ counter trying to pursuade the staff there to delay the flight so they could get an emergency passport in time for the flight (which I suppose was either that to Rome or to Milan). He kept insisting that they need to leave that day and will not expect anything less. It was rather irritating that he was so persistance cause the guy at the counter already explained to him that it would be really difficult for them to enter the US with such a document and furthermore, the communes are already closed for the day and weekend.. and the best would be for them to rebook the flight without any extra or what sort.. but he was just so persistance to fight on.. gosh.. how can people be so stuborn, I don't understand. :( Anyway, I think the AZ people also got fedup of going in circles and not getting anywhere, told him to go back to the police and see what they say about the whole thing and than come back with a copy of the report so they can make the necessary changes.. which he did after about 10 mins (yes I was at the counter for nearly 20-30 mins, due to all these incident). And even with that report he tried arguing on the same basis..
Hmm.. some people can just complain on and on even though they know that it is baseless..

Well, I finally got my tickets sorted out and made my necessary calls, I proceeded to walk a bit around the airport and got myself something cold.

When the counters opened for the OK flight, proceeded to check-in (handled by groundservice company, which sucks imho) and got into the B-terminal.
But gosh waiting for nearly 4 hours at the airport for the flight was rather tiring.. despite being able to spend half of it in the lounge.. Service on CSA was great (my first time with them). Very professional and seats were nice and comfy. Though still can't beat the service on SN. :D where hot meals or something nice would be served. On this flight it was only a small sandwich, which was rather dry and blend. However, this flight was rather empty with maybe 60% in Y and 10% in Biz. Overal it was a nice short flight. Managed to get a few winks here and there..

Lithunian Airlines taxing
Lithuanian Airlines_BRU
My baby CSA Boeing 737-500 to Praag
CSA and Malev

Landed and parked in T-B. Immigration was fast as there was no lines.. got out and met my friend.

PRG-MXP-BRU
4th Sept. Both legs on MD-80

Air Europa back to sunny Spain
KLM arriving from AMS
View of Terminal B bay at PRG
My Super MD-80 to Milan
PRG Airport

Anyway, for my flight back from PRG-BRU via MXP, I flew with AZ. When we boarded.. the flight was packed both Biz and Econ.. and the worst of all was that the plane was stuffy as the air conditioner was not at its fullest. Left on time despite seeing someone still repairing/checking the engines during the boarding process (will see this later). After door was closed, the normal safety briefing was done and then it was the long taxi to the runway.. After take-off, we had some great view of Prague due to the great weather, but in certain parts, a bit foggy(?) due to the humidity.. saw the Telecomunication Tower (the one with the babies climbing) which is the area where I stayed during my stay in Prague by a friends place. (Hope he will be able to spot his building when I send him the shot :P ).

Taking off from PRG
View of the city centre of Prague
The Bridges around Prague
Kbely or Vodochody Airport (not sure.. )
The famous baby TV tower in the centre of Prague.. which is the area I also stayed

Thank god at this stage the air-co was kicking in and the cabin cooled down. Cabin annoucement was made on the service and time. When I heard that they will be serving a small snack I thought I will get the usual AliSnack .. but to my surprise it was just Cornetto Ice-Cream, either vanilla or Chocolate flavour. Then came the drinks trolley.. this was rather funny, I noticed sine they started, they were just serving the normal juices/softdrink-water combination. Than when they approaced my row, the guy on the opposite side ordered Red Wine.. and suddenly everyone wanted wines.. even the guy infront who was already served turned and asked for a red wine.. :) Those behind me also ordered wines.. hehe what a difference it makes after one starts the ball rolling..
Well, after that, it was just about 1/2 hour before landing and things were cleared. I thought that this Ice-cream stuff was due to the timing of the flight.. but hmm... turns out to be a standard. Landed at MXP at Terminal B for the non-Schengen flights origin.

Arrving in Milan parking next to the 777 for the flight to EWR
Thai MD-11 in new colour scheme.. getting ready for the flight back to BKK

Boarding for my MXP-BRU flight was a bit delayed due to the lack of the "Aeroporti di Milano" busses. So the last few passengers had to wait for a bit thus delaying the departure time by nearly 20 mins. Anyway, on the way to the aircraft, we passed again the MD-80 I came on from PRG and I was right, the left engine had something wrong with it as the had dismantled the whole cover to repair it. But I guess it was not serious as they did it at the bridge and not tow it to the maintenance facility centre. I believe the registration was I-DATL.
Loads were ok, 0 % Biz (except a captain going to BRU, maybe to bring the flight back?) and about 90-100% in Econ (lots of connecting passengers). On this flight, the FA's were not really that friendly.. very little smile, except for the chief purser. She was ok. I thought on this I would be getting the famous AliSnack boxes.. but no, it was "gelato" again. I guess this is the way Alitalia is cutting on its costs and trying to survive. Anyway, despite the delay, we had a in-fact 5 min earlier landing than scheduled. On the approach it was so funny, as if the BIAC people wanted us to have a aerial view of Brussels or what, but we flew over the airport (great view btw) and over Brussels (saw the atomium.. all shining and glimmerisch after the restoration) and made a 180° turn than back to the airport and landed. Too bad here my camera was up in the overhead compartment. Maybe it was also due to the wind directions (?) for this approach. Anyway, made it in time to catch my train and was back home as predicted.

Well, as a wrap, I do wonder how do the passengers with tickets under SN feel about the big difference in service? For me, I know I have bought the ticket under AZ so I would expect how it is inflight.. but for people with SN, I would feel a bit let-down by the service. Actually this also applies to OK. They have a much superior product to AZ, yet if they are unlucky to get this codeshare flights, the level is than not as what would be on their own metal.

Anway, what I though would be a short comparison, got a bit carried away :oops: Well, hope all readers enjoyed the report despite the lack of effort on it. As I mentioned earlier, I will try and put some photos up, but it will not be until after the weekend. :wink:
Last edited by nldogbert on 15 Sep 2005, 16:35, edited 3 times in total.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Great, interesting report. Nice experience, showing that Alitalia too can sometimes handle crises...

Fed up with icecream for a while, I guess?
André
ex Sabena #26567

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

nice report, although flying to PRG via MXP is a bit of a weird itinerary no?

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

sab319 wrote:nice report, although flying to PRG via MXP is a bit of a weird itinerary no?
Was exactly thinking the same thing! But isn't it the case that we got no easyjet in Brussels? Therefore leaving us with only one choice: rather exensive SN? :oops:

nldogbert

Post by nldogbert »

Vinnie-Winnie wrote:
sab319 wrote:nice report, although flying to PRG via MXP is a bit of a weird itinerary no?
Yes it was a rather "diverted" itineary, but I got the ticket rather last minute and this was the best fare I could find. Anyway, it gave me the opportunity to rack up more miles :lol: Also, why give up the chance to experience more take-offs and landing :P
Vinnie-Winnie wrote:Was exactly thinking the same thing! But isn't it the case that we got no easyjet in Brussels? Therefore leaving us with only one choice: rather exensive SN? :oops:
Yes, what I do not understand is, as I noticed, the load on the OK evening flight was not that heavy, why was the fare for that flight still expensive. Ok, most probably the lowest class of fares have all been sold out, but fare differences between classes cannot be that great, right?

Actually, with all my experiences with AZ here in Brussels, the agents here are rather nice. They do try and do their best and keep their cool faced with situations.