Italy trip part II: SN Brussels Airlines FCO-BRU

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Sabena_690

Italy trip part II: SN Brussels Airlines FCO-BRU

Post by Sabena_690 »

Rome Fiumicino – Brussels, SN Brussels Airlines, Monday 11 July 2005

Hi all,

Welcome to Part 2 of my Alitalia and SN Brussels Airlines experience to Italy!

For those who have missed the first part: feel free to read it here.

Rome Fiumicino, Monday 11 July, 2005

After a rush to security, I was delighted when I saw that the one-and-only security counter for transfer passengers to the B-Gates was empty (last year, I was stuck in a huge queue over here). Going through security literally took only a few seconds, and I was on my way to my first SN Brussels Airlines flight of 2005. I checked the flight information screens, and gate B1 was assigned for Estail 3182. So I proceeded to gate B1, where everybody was just being moved to another gate, namely B6. At this point, I knew that our flight was going to be delayed, as a gate change 20 minutes before departure indicated that the aircraft had only arrived by now (we would have known it earlier otherwise).

I used the opportunity to explore the terminal a little. Among the interesting aircraft were a Qatar Airways AB6, Emirates B773, Aerolineas Argentinas B744, and I saw an Air China B744 arriving in the distance. Photography is not recommended as you will most certainly get troubles with the Police, and the windows are dirty anyway (which makes photography registration spotting a pain).

Although we should have left 20 minutes ago by now, no delay announcement had been made yet. The flight was still shown as being on time on the information screens as well.

SN Brussels Airlines
Flight number: SN3182/AZ7064
Aircraft: Avro RJ100 OO-DWH
Scheduled block time: 17:50-20:10
Actual block time: 18:46-20:56
Flight time: 02h 09m 41s

A boarding announcement was made at 18:20, which resulted in a rush to the two ladies checking the boarding passes and passports. No queue or any order whatsoever, our gate had changed into a mess consisting of wild animals trying their utmost to get on board as soon as possible, even by pushing other people away. Most passengers on this flight were tourists I think, judging from their clothes for example.

Two very friendly female flight attendants welcomed us on board, with a friendly “Good evening Sir”, and by offering us a choice of newspapers (please SN, also add De Standaard or De Tijd to your choice of newspapers instead of only a tabloid like Het Laatste Nieuws!) and the inflight magazine ‘Connect’. Also available for free is Newsweek.

The cabin filling up with passengers on this full flight:

A funny coincidence: the Alitalia A321 on which I had arrived about an hour before, was parked on our left side! X-Ray Golf pushed back shortly afterwards, and I took the following picture of her:

(my apologies for the dirt on all pictures, caused by a very dirty window)

One of the female flight attendants wished all SN Brussels Airlines and Alitalia passengers welcome on board during her welcome announcement. She announced the name of the Captain (Joeri Van Leeuw??), the flight time, and wished us a nice flight.

Two remarkable things about all the announcements during the flight:
1) all announcements were in four languages: Italian, French, Dutch and English. No tapes or whatsoever, everything was fluently announced by the flight attendants);
2) when an announcement is made, the flight attendant making the announcement will always look at the passengers. They stand near the first row, and make eye-contact with the passengers. So you really feel being spoken to. This is one of the several little things which sets SN apart from lot’s of other airlines in my opinion.

Also important was the next announcement: an explanation of the delay. Instead of the usual ATC-excuse, they explained what really happened: due to two missing passengers on the BRU-FCO flight, a lot of luggage had to be offloaded before they had found the luggage of those two people. This was the cause of the 30 minutes delay on arrival.

Pushback was only a few minutes away, and one of the flight attendants walked through the cabin with an Italian newspaper to check whether any of us wanted one. Again a nice touch!

We were off blocks at 18:46, and started taxiing to the runway shortly afterwards:

We lined up on Runway 25 after the take off of I-JETA, a B732 of Air One, and started our take off at 18:58.

Rolling at RWY 25:

Rotating, with interesting aircraft like a BV B763, MK A343, CA B744, AZ B772 etc. visible in the background:

And climbing out above the Tyrrhenian Sea, almost immediately after take off:

We were 20 minutes into the flight, when the cabin crew started the meal service in Economy Class. Instead of the Alitalia-style (i.e. throwing some dry cake or sandwiches at the passengers), the SN crew really delivered an exceptional service to the passengers. “Please Sir, enjoy your meal”; “Alstublieft, smakelijk eten”… Those little touches make a big difference in my opinion.

The service concept in Economy Class on SNBA flights is called ‘Brussels Bistro’. You get a hot meal on flights lasting longer than 2 hours, and a cold option on shorter flights.

My hot meal consisted of pasta with chicken in a vegetable sausage, Balkan salat, crackers and a Milky Way. The taste was excellent!

Drinks were served shortly after I received my meal, and I went for the red wine, a Côtes Du Roussillon. Have a look at the plastic cup, “Drinks are on the crew” is written on it – nice touch!

Throughout the meal service, I heard quite some positive feedback from passengers who had enjoyed the meal! I always like to check the reactions of the other passengers on SN flights, as positive/negative feedback is the only way to improve your product and to make necessary changes.

About 20 minutes later, the crew had collected all rubbish, and they came around for a second drink service. I know that SN serves several alcoholic beverages in C-class, but not in Y. An example is Baileys, so I asked the male flight attendant for a Baileys. “Sorry Sir, but we do not have Baileys on board, only red and white wine”. Wrong! ;) He was very friendly, and correct as well: if you give a Baileys to one person, you have to offer it to the other passengers as well. Sorry to the flight attendant, it was only a little test to see your reaction ;)

A third drink service (mainly for people wanting coffee or tea) followed about 15 minutes later, and I ordered a coffee, which was a great way to finish the nice meal. After I had finished my coffee, I relaxed a little bit to further enjoy the last 45 minutes of the flight, and 15 minutes later, the Captain announced that we were about to descend. He also gave us some information about the weather in Brussels, and finished with ‘bye bye’.

The weather was quite bad, when the Captain announced our descend:

Starting our descend, together with a left turn:

At this point, the flight attendants approached the passengers with connections (again a nice touch!). Not the passengers had to take the initiative to get more information about their connection, but the cabin crew did: good service! There were a few people on board with a very tight connection to Bristol for example.

So we had started our descend already, when the cabin crew came around with Neuhaus chocolates. A nice way to end your flight!

We were in our final approach right now for Runway 02:

You can see the new “Bocht van Nossegem” on this picture, allowing a fast train connection between Leuven and Brussels Airport from December 2005 onwards:

And… touch down!

The crew thanked us (in 4 languages) for flying SN, and wished us a very nice evening.

While disembarking, I heard several people thanking the crew for the nice flight. I did the same, and told them that I was going to write a report about the flight. I referred them to luchtzak.be and airliners.net, so I hope that they will see this report! I will also contact SN Brussels Airlines Customer Service, as a good crew deserves good points!

I hope that you enjoyed this trip report as much as I enjoyed this flight! All feedback is welcome as usual…

Kind regards
Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

Glider

Post by Glider »

Nice report, Frederic! It was great to read, also because some good SN-memories came back to me... (my 8 SN-flights to and from Lyon ;-))

Indeed, SN-service is very good (IMO). Keep up the good work!

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Amazing report!

I liked the personal comments, the fact I nearly fell like I was in that particular journey, and the humor! So much attention to detail also!

Wow by the looks of it a longer haul flights sn is deliverying an excellent service! U know what cause of this report next time I go somewhere by plane even if a flight costs 20 or 30 euros more I will definately take Sn! Just to try it!!!!!!

Thank you again it was really brilliant!

Comet

Post by Comet »

Great report of an obviously great flight. The inflight meal looks good too. I hope we get such good service next week, the flights we had in March were spoiled by very poor flight attendants. I agree that the good ones should be publicly praised as much as I would say that bad ones should be shown up publicly.

And we went on that same aircraft as you have just written about on 31st March 2004 flight SN2047 BRU-BHX.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

Thanks for sharing these very nice report, with the excellent pictures with us.

It seems that SN Brussels takes good care of their customers, the amount of little service-details was really impressive and I guess that in these times of low-cost and no-frills these kind of service really appreciated, and not only by you abviously. SN is a small airline, with a small home-market, but is certainly doing it's best to stand out above the rest. And reading this experience I guess they seem to do exactly that! :thumbsup:

Established02

Post by Established02 »

by offering us a choice of newspapers (please SN, also add De Standaard or De Tijd to your choice of newspapers instead of only a tabloid like Het Laatste Nieuws!) and the inflight magazine ‘Connect’. Also available for free is Newsweek.
Nicely written report, Sabena 690.

What was/were the French newspaper(s) on offer? La Libre Belgique?

I can imagine that there could be a cost issue in offering a limited choice of only one Dutch (HLN) and only one French newspaper.

If SN would need (let's say) 3000 Dutch newspapers per day, then I assume SN can probably get a better deal by ordering all 3000 copies from one publisher, instead of ordering a smaller amount from 2 or more publishers. Isn't HLN the Dutch newspaper with the largest daily edition? Perhaps that is the reason why SN chose for them and not for the smaller newspapers DS/FET. Perhaps those that want to read DS/FET get a copy anyway at work or at home.

> the inflight magazine ‘Connect’

Connect doesn't seem very glossy compared to the inflight magazines of other carriers.

I could be wrong, but I thought that the inflight magazines are not a cost center for the airline companies. Their production may be outsourced to external companies who get paid through the advertisements inside the inflight magazine.

> available for free is Newsweek.

Huh? 8O That makes a nice compensation for not offering DS or FET, isn't it!

Regards.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Nice report, Frederic.

The Belgian French newspaper is usually Le Soir, except on Sundays (La Dernière Heure). I also regret the much larger choice offered by Sabena.

I was once able to get a Baileys in Economy. Guess from whom!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Jumbolino

Post by Jumbolino »

Hi Frederic,

I enjoyed reading and too bad that SNBA doesn't server FAO anymore ;-) had last month 4 flights with TAP and believe me I don't count TAP into my prefered airline list (the food on TP for a 2.5 h flight was a joke ! on the return flight a nearly one hour delay without any excuse ...)

back to your report :-) keep on and I will try to get an SNBA flight next future (last dated back oct 03 :-( ....)

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

nice report, although it's sounds like you are making an advertisement for them...

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Thanks for the positive feedback!
Established02 wrote:If SN would need (let's say) 3000 Dutch newspapers per day, then I assume SN can probably get a better deal by ordering all 3000 copies from one publisher, instead of ordering a smaller amount from 2 or more publishers.
They could for example buy two different newspapers from the VUM-group: De Standaard for those wanting information, and Het Nieuwsblad for those wanting entertainment.
Established02 wrote:Isn't HLN the Dutch newspaper with the largest daily edition?
Indeed, but 'biggest' is not the same as 'best' in my opinion ;)
Established02 wrote:Newsweek: That makes a nice compensation for not offering DS or FET, isn't it!
Newsweek is good indeed, but it still doesn't replace a quality newspaper in my opinion.
Sn26567 wrote:I was once able to get a Baileys in Economy. Guess from whom!
Hehe ;)
Jumbolino wrote:the food on TP for a 2.5 h flight was a joke ! on the return flight a nearly one hour delay without any excuse
A pity to hear about your bad TP experience, Jutta! A delay can always happen, but a 1h delay without any announcement/explanation cannot be accepted in my opinion. It should be a company policy to make an announcement in case of a delay.
sab319 wrote:nice report, although it's sounds like you are making an advertisement for them...
I will positively report about a good flight, and criticize a bad flight. This SN flight was one of the best flights I've ever been on, resulting in a positive report.

I'm taking SN to Copenhagen next week, and if I have a bad experience, you will hear it as well.

Regards
Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

bigjulie

Post by bigjulie »

A very good report, indeed, it felt as if I was with you on that flight(Loved the bit about the Baileys).
Can we expect more trip reports from you in the future,Sabena_690? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Jumbolino wrote:too bad that SNBA doesn't server FAO anymore
But VEX does!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Sebas

Post by Sebas »

Hi Sabena_690,

Very nice reports, I love the pics :) .

I agree with you on the newspaper front. A quality airline should serve a quality newspaper (DS (preffered, not only because of it's handy format) or DM or Tijd). This is my only point of criticism on SN for the last years.

Anyway, your report made me really looking forward to my trip with SN to Sevilla within 2 weeks. Yes, you can all expect a trip report. :)

Greets,
Sebas