British airways longhaul trip report

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
heathrow

British airways longhaul trip report

Post by heathrow »

This is the longhaul portion of my trip report.

British Airways BA0092 YYZ-LHR 18/07/2005
18:30- 06:25* Boeing 747-436 G-CIVI Seat 32K
http://photos.airliners.net/middle/8/1/3/724318.jpg

Check-in commenced at Toronto's terminal 3 at about 2:30 p.m. I was already in the que by then. Wonderful Scottish woman checked me in, reconfirming my seat selection and veggi meal. I had quite a bit of time once I said goodbye to my father and went through security. To tell the truth, it didn't seem like the metal detector was on at YYZ. I walked through, there was no one watching me go through, and the person suposed to be watching the contents of my bag was conversing with another worker.

Toronto airport has a very limited abount of shops, so I bought and overpriced bottle of water, and a bag of crisps. That was pretty much all the food available, however there was a wide slection of resturants beyond the second security point. However no one was watching this point, so I was able to go to the cafe.

Boarding commences: 17:45. Pre-boarding is offered to anyone who feels they need it, os about half the aircraft was pre-boarded. First, Club World, Premium Economy, And then I was in the second row of economy at about 18:10. I was sat beside a 98 year-old woman and her daughter. We were parked beside a Martinair MD-11, which was a lovely suprise. While taxing, they put on the safety video. 2 minutes in, that crapped out, and a manual safety demonstration was commenced.

Take off, Runway 25... Rotation at 18:27. Interior seemed like it had been well used. Cabin crew was average, nothing special. IThe meal was crap, but I was hungry, so ate it quickly. I think the non- veggi meal choice was salmon or chicken. Flight was fine. Rather bumpy landing at LHR, but such a delight to see concorde shining at us. We taxied for about 30 minutes beofore a gate opened up. We were all thanked for choosing British Airways. Heathrow airport is.....I don't think there is a word for it. After praising god I wasn't in the long line for flight connections, I saw the passport control line. I didn't get to the baggage hall untill about 7:30. bag was right there though, so picked it up and left as soon as I can. It also took us about 15 minutes to figure out how to leave the car park.

British Airways BA0097 LHR-YYZ 29/08/2005
17:30 - 20:10 Boeing 777-236/ER seat 27A
http://photos.airliners.net/small/8/5/8/851858.jpg

I arrived at terminal 4 4 and a half hours early, and so was waiting for quite a while. Hetahrow provides a lovely selection of seating for the disabled, elderly, and First class passengers. Other then that, there is NO seating whatsoever. I looked EVERYWHERE for some. Only at the gates. Checked in at I guess about 14:00. Nice woman, but it was a quick proccess. I guess that's a good thing.

Boarding was extrememly Unorganised. Gate 9, in a very skinny part of Heathrow. Que was huge, and boarding just commenced in no particular order. IB codesharing off us didn't exactly help. The 777 really makes you realise the age of the 747. It was nice, clean, and excelent legroom.

taxi lasted 10 minutes, and then straight to runway. Don't remember much on take off, i was crying a bit. It was extremely powerful tohugh. I wasnt expecting that. I thought it was going to be a lot less powerful ocmpared to the 747. Funny cabin crew, they were exclelent. Didn't see a lot of them though. I had a veggi meal which was nice that they had resolved the issues.

The flight was really tiring, as it was a night flight that never got dark. Went over greenland though, so I have some nice pictures, I'll try and post them later. Canada customs were a nightmare. Huge ques, as they don't have sperate ques for residents. bags took a while, but finally came.

Thats my trip report. Hope it was alright. Any questions will be answered

MSS658

Post by MSS658 »

nice report

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Thanks for the trip report!

Strange that the seat pitch on both of your flights was different, as the World Traveller Cabin on the B744/B772/B763 has exactly the same seat pitch: 31inch.

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

nice report, where you travelling alone?

av8or_guy

Post by av8or_guy »

I think its quite obvious he was travelling alone as he said goodbye to his dad at the beginning before his return to heathrow.
Personally i think economy on BA B744 is ok to me it looks too full especially when it really is full... but i say the business class is the best if you get the chance take it its nice :D also i enjoyed BA B772ER in economy its seats are quite nice and normally on the flight i take not so full... as i said for the B744 excellent in bussiness class but without the upper deck unfortunately... :(
personnaly i think BA food is great! not as good as the SNBA Bistro though :wink: ive never had vegitarian meal in my life and hope to never try the stuff :? ...
nice you flew over greenland :wink: ive never got that chance yet :cry:
I only fly to ATL or MCO across the pond and occaisonaly that passes over Iceland but never have i passed over greenland :cry:
i have to say IFE is great :lol: good up to date movies and the games in economy plus and up is quite fun. My flight across the pond to see the space shuttle liftoff was quite interesting as when we flew past cape canaveral on apraoch everyone tried to cross tot he right side of the plane 8O was damn crazy stunt for the pilot to say cape canaveral could be seen on the right side ! the plane was but in to a slight bank to the right! 8O after that happed the captain called for every to imediatly get back to their places 8O after that message the seatbell sign was turned on allthough there was still 30mins of flight to go...

heathrow

Post by heathrow »

sab319, yes, I was travelling alone

One huge suprise was not once was I asked why I was travelling alone at such a young age.

The 777 was a very pleasant experience as I am used to the 744.

av8or_guy

Post by av8or_guy »

i dont htink that is very importnat question as i know many other kids our age taht travel alone i travel quite alot ransatlantic really quite enjoyable unless you're in economy...

UAFlyer

Negative BA Experience

Post by UAFlyer »

The 31 inch leg room in BA 747 is awful. I had the chance to fly BA to Dubai and Johannesburg recently. Both times I was sitting at the back of the plane of a 747. Trip to Dubai was about 8 hrs and JNB was about 10 hrs. 31 inch leg room is physical torture for such long flights. The worst thing was that at both trips, BA refused to transfer my luggage to UA flights connecting to the US at LHR. I was forced to go through the passport control and reclaimed my luggage and rushed from Terminal 1 and 4 to Terminal 3. Most of you frequent flyers probably know the condition of LHR. It was a heart attack prone venture to move from one terminal to another in such a short time for connecting flights on your own.

The on-board meal seems decent, but not as rich as UA's. Cabin crew was polite and hard working.

However, due to the negative experience I swore that I will never fly BA again.

bigjulie

Post by bigjulie »

av8tor_guy wrote:I think its quite obvious he was travelling alone as he said goodbye to his dad at the beginning before his return to heathrow.
This may not be true, even if he said goodbye to his dad, he could be travelling with another relative/friend!! :shakehead:

bigjulie

Post by bigjulie »

Have you heard of spell-check av8or_guy? It would be good if you could use it, as reading your posts are quite a challenge, due to the spelling mistakes, my friend.

heathrow

Post by heathrow »

sorry, I kow its late, but i found pictures i took.

A very tired me

Return