CGD-LCY BAe 146 trip report (with photos)

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Captain

CGD-LCY BAe 146 trip report (with photos)

Post by Captain »

I recently flew from CDG to LCY on a BAe 146.

I got to CDG and from past experience wasn't impressed with the facilites and terminals (especially the old and crowded 2B and 2D) but to my surprise I quickly changed my mind when I walked through terminals 2E as well as 2F which is where I took my flight.

Picture of the beautiful 2F with duty free shops, restaurants and lounges on a bottom level and waiting lounges on the top level (very good use of space and more relaxing for passengers)

I was also impressed at the free golf cart service between neighbouring terminals. I jumped on and with 2 other people was taken to 2F via the underground passage and whisking past people on the escalators. The driver told me this is a free service for the summer. 2F is mainly a long-haul and non schengen terminal. There were 747 and 777 from JAL as well as wide body AF Airbus' to Johannesburg and other long-haul destinations.

After day dreaming that I could be one of those lucky passengers to Tokyo I quickly made my way to the boarding gate for the 45 min flight to London's City airport. A bus took us to our plane which was painted with Air France's livery but was operated by City Jet (mention of this below the AF logo):

picture from Airliners.net http://www.airliners.net/open.file/732812/M/

Once aboard the crew only appeared to speak english with an Irish accent though they did have Air France uniforms. After a very brief message from the pilot our mostly empty plane left on time. I wasn't really enjoying this old and noisy BAe 146. The seats were old and worn out and the colours were bery much those used in the 90's.

After we finished climbing to cruising altitude two air hostesses walked down with trays in their hands and didn't bother with the food trolley as there were only about 15-20 passengers. I was quite surprised this much food was given as the previous week I had flown to London Heathrow with AF and we were only given a bag of Pretzels and non-alcoholic drink.

The food wasn't actually that good and I could see from the sticker it was made 2 days before the flight. A bit hungry so I ate it anyway.

Before I knew it we were flying over the beautiful English country side and the pilot announced we were beginning our descent into LCY.

It was time to land into LCY and I must admit it's quite an interesting approach and at the last moments similar to SFO (San Francisco) as your flying over water and onto a runway that's built from reclaimed land.

(sorry for the poor quality)

Within 2 minutes we had left the runway and we were parked facing away from the terminal building like all the other planes parked that day. next to our plane was a VLM Fokker 50. The majority of the passengers were businessmen eager to get to their offices or meetings quickly so I was surprised when the plane's front and back doors were opened. It took me less than 5 minutes to get from my seat on the the plane, walk through customs and walk outside of the terminal building.

Not a bad flight and interesting to fly one of AF smaller planes and landing into LCY. Not too impressed by the level of service of City Jet (i.e. I don't give a f*ck attitude). Anyone got any info on this franchise?

Captain.

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

Thanks for sharing this nice report and the interesting pictures with us.

LCY seems to be a great airport, such a steep approach and then the fact that you got from your seat outside the terminal in 5 minutes (eat that Heathrow :roll:).
I was quite surprised this much food was given as the previous week I had flown to London Heathrow with AF and we were only given a bag of Pretzels and non-alcoholic drink.
Maybe this is because of that the Heathrow flight was a "mainline" Air France flight, where this flight has been operated by a Franchise carrier (thus the different levels in service).
Anyone got any info on this franchise?

The article below says that CityJet is an Irish company (hence the Irish accent of the crew) and it is owned for 100% by Air France.

Sorry, in German only:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France

Hope this helps :wink:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for nice illustrated report.

What was the seating in CityJet's BAe146: 3-3 or 2-3? Your picture seems to show that it is 2-3, but it is not very clear.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

very nice report, a joy to read!

Comet

Post by Comet »

LCY is a superb airprot. Try that approach over the river on a Fokker 50! The approach from the other side is more turning to avoid buildings but you do get some very good views of London landmarks.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

I only know the LCY approach with msfs but indeed it's amazing! Such a short runway and if U screw up bam U fall in the water :)

Anyways very nice report Really enjoyed it!

Captain

Post by Captain »

sn26567 wrote:What was the seating in CityJet's BAe146: 3-3 or 2-3? Your picture seems to show that it is 2-3, but it is not very clear.
Hello.

The seating configuration was a very tight 3-3. Thank god the plane not full as it would have been a tight ride. I couldn't get a good enough picture to show you a better view of the cabin.

Next time...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Captain wrote:The seating configuration was a very tight 3-3.
Another airline to avoid...
André
ex Sabena #26567