Trip to Australia

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
sn53E

Trip to Australia

Post by sn53E »

Hi all,

I'll go to Australia in septembre. I'd like to know if Lufthansa, Thai Airways and/or Virgin Blue allow visits in the cockpit during the flight?

Here is my trip:

Brussels -> Frankfurt Main (Lufthansa)
Frankfurt Main -> Bangkok (Thai Airways)
Bangkok -> Brisbane (Thai Airways)
Brisbane -> Cairns (Virgin Blue)

Karl

hvv

Post by hvv »

I'm sorry, I can't tell you, but in the current climate I think it won't be easy!

I had some great cockpit visits in the past, but after September 11 and other terrorist acts, you would first have to convince airline staff that you're not a terrorist. I also expect that many countries have forbidden airlines to allow passengers in the cockpit, so that it might be illegal for staff to allow it, even if they would want to.

In any case, quite apart from the terrorist issue, when I tried it in the past, airlines and pilots usually didn't want to have hordes of people coming to the cockpit, so you have a better chance if you ask quietly (unless they now think you're suspicious because you ask so quietly!). On a long distance flight when everybody is asleep you also have a better chance.

My two most memorable cockpit visits:
- KLM F50 Turin-Amsterdam on a beautiful summer evening (I spent virtually the entire flight in the cockpit, the view of the Alps was splendid also)
- BA B747 Bangkok-London over India

Hans.

n5528p

Post by n5528p »

I flew with Virgin Blue in Sept. 2003 - although it was a great experience, I do not think that getting into the cockpit will be possible with an Australian Airline.

You better try with Lufthansa or Thai and ask at the beginning of the quiet period - with a little luck the F/A will ask and return to you.

If you have any ID related to aviation, you could show it - I have the impression that helps.

Regards, Bernhard

sn53E

Post by sn53E »

unfortunatly, I don't have a PPL licence or something like that :?