DXB vs. KUL vs. BKK

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
n5528p

DXB vs. KUL vs. BKK

Post by n5528p »

Dear Colleagues,

I plan to fly from VIE to SYD in October / November and would like to have a stopover somewhere where I could relax one day and than go on to VIE.

I would prefer to fly via DXB, because I have already been there and know I can go to the beach or whatever and be back at the airport in time.

But my sweetheart is not really happy with the idea to stop in DXB, so I would need some information if a stopover for 8 to 15 hours makes sense in KUL and BKK. Is it advisable to leave the airport for some hours to hit a beach / go downtown / etc.etc.?

I would also appreciate any recommendations on nice hotels in the vicinity of the airports.

Regards, Bernhard

bigjulie

Post by bigjulie »

I have been in transit at HKG for about 10 hours so I went into Hong Kong itself on the Airport Express, which takes about 30 mins. I had a look around & then went & found a cafe & had a Chinese meal , then headed back to the airport; I recommend this transit point from Sydney to Vienna.

chunk

Post by chunk »

I reckon an 8 to 15hr stopover in KUL is worthwhile. Get the KLIA train into KL Sentral and and then head toward the City Centre. Takes about 45 minutes.....

Depending what time you get there there are plenty things to see / do. You may be able to get to the beach from KLIA even quicker though I am nt sure....

Havent a clue about BKK though I'm afraid.

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

I'm with chunk on this one. KL is a very cool place, the airport is some way from the city. But use the express train to the centre. There's lots to do, there although I'd recommend a night stop there to get a good rest and experience etc!
Getting to a beach maybe hard though, but the hotels in KL are of a good standard and all the ones I've stayed in have pools. The Crowne Plaza/Mutiara I can recommend to you.

Emirates

chunk

Post by chunk »

Indeed - I stayed in the Crowne Plaza Mutiara last month for a week on a business trip. Very nice and very reasonably priced (I think it was about 75Euro per night for a room on the Exec floor and Breakfast, free braodband and some free laundry every day).

If you have a bit more cash the Mandarin Oriental is good - fantastic swimming Pool and great location. I think it was about 90Euros.

I also stayed in the Melia when I was on vacation there about 3 years ago - not as good as the other two but stupidly cheap and still good. I thin kit was bout 50 Euro and not too far from all the action. Definately try and get an overnight stay there!

JDarby

Post by JDarby »

I would suggest exotic Bangkok. You can take a PRIVATE Bangkok day tour that will cost 3000 Baht for the 2 of you (around 30 Euros each). I took this tour before and it was excellent. Also, friends of mine took this tour and told me that they were picked up and dropped off again at the airport. I will send you a link for this tour in a private message because I'm not sure if luchtzak admins will consider it as advertising. You can contact them for details, or you can just type Bangkok sightseeing in Google for more options. Happy holidays.
NOTE: I have no relationship whatsoever with that company.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

JDarby wrote:I will send you a link for this tour in a private message because I'm not sure if luchtzak admins will consider it as advertising.
A piece of information like that is not advertising!
André
ex Sabena #26567

JDarby

Post by JDarby »

sn26567 wrote:
JDarby wrote:I will send you a link for this tour in a private message because I'm not sure if luchtzak admins will consider it as advertising.
A piece of information like that is not advertising!
Thanks Chief.

regi

Post by regi »

BKK is easy and nice. Avoid the hotels immediately at the airport, too expensive. Last week I staid 1 night at the Sofitel Grand Plaza, next to the central Plaza department store .(10 minutes away from the airport) I booked it on asiarooms.com 3 days in advance. I got a junior suite for 2600 baht (+- 52 euro), which is peanuts in this palace of luxury. The breakfast buffet is the largest (and best) I have seen ever.
If you arrive on a weekend day, you can visit the Chatuchak market in the park just accros the hotel .
Good idea for a "One night in Bangkok"
Remember: when you will get back through immigration, you have to pay again 500 baht (10 euro). But that is peanuts compared to the experience of exploring Bangkok.
Shopping at Central? Cheap are clothes. But brands such as Adidas and Nike and Swatch are not cheaper.
Just go for Bangkok.
by the way: too much smogg now in Kulala Lumpur.
Wy not Dubai? Too artificial if you ask me.

sixtyseven

Post by sixtyseven »

KUL - easy transportation from KLIA to city ctr. blve me. n we do not have smog, for heaven's sake.. it is haze. but the situation is much better now...