KLM opens new route to Entebbe, Uganda

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Flying_Dutchman

KLM opens new route to Entebbe, Uganda

Post by Flying_Dutchman »

KLM TO LAUNCH SCHEDULED SERVICES TO ENTEBBE, UGANDA

AMSTELVEEN, July 5, 2005 – KLM Royal Dutch Airlines will begin operating direct scheduled services between Amsterdam and Entebbe in Uganda at the start of the 2005/06 winter schedule...

Read more
source: www.airliners.net
source news story: ?

Because I can't find any official pressrelease on a newssite nor klm.com , I post this story overhere.

Sounds nice. After Khartoum and Addi Abeba, this is KLM second newest destination in a short time. It seems KLM's role in the AF-KL merger is to focus on Africa, while AF is stronger in S-America.

I believe SNBA also fly to Entebbe. Could it be that this route will suffer after the opening of the one of KLM. I believe SNBA is (was) the European monopolist on that route??

;)

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

I think the prices are lower on SN (don't know for 100% sure), but this could effect SN BA I think :!:
Tot hier en verder

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

News was already around for a week or 2, Allafrica.com reports: http://allafrica.com/stories/200506240184.html

KLM.com corporate website is a little slow on publishing their latest press-releases (the fuel surcharge is not online yet and latest dates 2 weeks ago), have e-mailed KLM press to get their press-release directly in my mailbox so we can publish this news much faster on www.luchtzak.be

Thanks for the news RoyalDutchman!

chunk

Post by chunk »

I would think it will definately affect SNBA as KLM have more through traffic coming from NAmerica etc. to push through the system.

I have a question though....where are all these aircraft comng from. It doesn;t look to me that they will have enough 330's to replace the 767's once they are all gone? The 777's replaced the 743's but I don;t see where the extras are coming from......thjink they better get leasing!

teach

Post by teach »

KLM has 11 767, with deals for 8 A330s as well as 4 more 777s. That's already enough to replace the 767s and add one plane to the fleet. Rumors are they're going to order 4 more A330s.

chunk

Post by chunk »

Yep - I know that covers teh 767's but the T7's were to replace the 743's no? In which case there is a shortfall or am i missing something?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

The B767 will be replaced by the B777. It's not the B747 that will be replaced. You have to create an equivalent, if you replace the 747 by the 777 then you have a big problem.

V-Bird

Post by V-Bird »

the B772 was bought to replace the 742 and 743 ( and that is true!) and md-11. However the md-11 stay`s in the fleet till 2012. The a330 was bought to replace the B767...

KLM operates almost only the combi 747... this as almost the same number of seats as the B772

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Not only SNBA, also BA is flying that route. SNBA had during a period 4 flights a week always in combination with Nairobi. On the other hand I think that SNBA is in a good position: good prices, good service, good connection out from US even if through AMS there are more

Danny

LJ

Post by LJ »

I have a question though....where are all these aircraft comng from.
The AMS-JRO-DAR-AMS flight will become a MD-11 thus one 767 was "unemployed" for 5 days of the week.
On the other hand I think that SNBA is in a good position: good prices, good service, good connection out from US even if through AMS there are more
I don't see how SN can offer better connections ex US. The AMS-EBB flight will leave AMS during the 10:00 - 11:00 peak thus ideal for connecting ex US (arrivals between 07:00 and 08:00). Moreover, unlike SN, KL is able to offer a very quick transfer ex EBB as the first US flight leaves at 08:20 from AMS (the EBB will probably arrive somewhere around 05:30). Needlaess to say BA still offers the best connections.

BTW it's still unclear with which (or if) city this flight will be combined. I guess that ADD is the most likely candidate as it's close to EBB (NBO is probably not a possibility as they have enough traffic on AMS-NBO-AMS)

BTW with the exception of the Sunday flight bot other EBB flights will be on days that both BA and SNBA don't fly to EBB (BA and SNBA fly the same days of the week to EBB). KLM will fly on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday (at least that's what they intend) and BA and SNBA will fly on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday during the winter schedule 2005/6
seems KLM's role in the AF-KL merger is to focus on Africa, while AF is stronger in S-America.
KLM's role is to fly to the non-French colonial countries in Africa whilst AF flies to the French speaking African countries. NBO, ADD and EBB are clear examples of this and no doubt they intend to make liffe for SNBA a little bit harder by adding EBB.

Flying_Dutchman

Is it possible that KLM flies AMS-EBB-AMS nonstop? Although, I don't think so because there isn't a big market.

If they have to choose a stop between AMS-EBB and/or EBB-AMS, could Nairobi not be a solution. Maybe a second frequency up to those daily flights? If they would fly via Addis Ababa, what will happen then to Khartoum? I believe, Khartoum isn't that worth to get a nonstop connection, or am I wrong?

;)

Rayman

Post by Rayman »

Flying_Dutchman wrote:Is it possible that KLM flies AMS-EBB-AMS nonstop? Although, I don't think so because there isn't a big market.
Surely not ex NL (some 1000-1200 pax yr mainly catched by BA and SN).

Still KL's bread and butter is 6th freedom and we should only see it as Feed-AMS-EBB-AMS-De-feed v.v.

Looking at EU and beyond (West bound) coverage, as already mentioned in this topic, competition is there, but not that heavy to limit room for opportunities.

It is true that an intermediate stop is at this stage the most plausible speculation.
Actually BA operates a direct 3/7 and even though UK is not NL I cannot imagine they focus on local on-line pax;
SN cannot offer a range of beyond dests as BA (or KL) and the intermediate BRU-NBO is understandable.
I cannot evaluate it with concrete evidence, but I also would like to speculate that beyond traffic can be enough for a KL direct flight.

LJ

Post by LJ »

Surely not ex NL (some 1000-1200 pax yr mainly catched by BA and SN).
Whilst I agree that a AMS-EBB-AMS flight is very unlikely KLM does seem to cath a lot of traffic out of EBB. KLM cited increased traffic on the connecting flights (NBO-EBB by KQ) due to the expanding Ugandan market as the reason for starting their own flights.

BTW The Netherlands is the largest export partner of Uganda.
If they would fly via Addis Ababa, what will happen then to Khartoum?
Khartoum is twice weekly thus this would mean an increase in flights between AMS and ADD.

Flying_Dutchman

The schedules has been released and it seems KLM will operate AMS-EBB-AMS nonstop.
AMS-EBB - KL 561
_2__56_

dep: 11:00
arr: 21:05

Non-stop Boeing 767
---------------------

EBB-AMS - KL 562
_2__56_

dep: 22:55
arr: 05:40*

Non-stop Boeing 767

*next day