Request: BA nightflight to Johannesburg

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
5Y-KQV

Post by 5Y-KQV »

Yes, Regi. You can request a routing through NBO and that will automatically place u on board KQ. If through AMS, one of the daily flights will be operated with a KL flight number though with KQ equipment. I don't think there'll be any fare differences since the flight will be within the same partners (KL/KQ).

Depending on where you intend to commence your journey, check out the schedule at http://www.kenya-airways.com and i recommend you book your the first leg journey on the T7.

If you're a Flying Blue Member, you can still redeem your miles.

Check this out, someone did it from AMS.
http://africaspotter.6.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=52

Cheers,

Walter.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Here we are, back in Belgium and as promised I give you guys and girls my story.

First flight Brussels - Heathrow: check-in very smootly, it opened a few hours before flight, so no queue at all. But ask not for a good seat at the window or exit or what ever, no chance. In Londen they blocked everything, the window, exit and queue seats!!
So the first flight was with a A319 for 1 hour flight. A snack on board with two drinks. The period for the snack and drinks are realy short. When the people in the back are going to be served the landing is going to begin. The flight was done after 40 min.

Then flight connections follow to terminal 4. We had to take the flight Londen - Johannesburg. First control of the luggage a very, very long queue but it was going that fast that it was done in about 10 min!! Was I glad. Then taking the bus for a short ride to terminal 4. When arrived we were going to a waiting room with a view on some terminals and the take-off. Every min we saw a Jumbo landing, or A340 or a B777 8O . Realy great was that. :P PS after landing and arrived at your gate it takes 75 minutes.
After some time we saw what our departure gate was and we sent to that place, there we saw our B747-400 shinning in the sun.
The plane was not full, in front of us and in our back were some empty places. We were seating in the middle, is not so confortable.
Dinner was served: starter, main corse and dessert and a bar of chocolate. For dinner you had the chose between lasagne and something else, sorry forgotten what it was. But I must say it was very good, with a glass of wine. After some time the lights went out and the night was fallen, we saw some very recent movies or we swiched to the radio channels. During the night they served some cold drinks, very nice and even the crew take the time to speak with the passengers. PS: you don't have to pay for extra drinks.

Landing was as scheduled and very soft for such a big airplane.

At Johannesburg we had to take, yes, an other airplane to start the flight Johannesburg - Port Elisabeth. It was operated by Britisch airways (Comair) with an old B 737-200.

This flight had a duration of 1H. The flight was beginning very hard, a few turns and "luchtzakken". but after all, it was oke.

Then we start our journey in South-africa with our rent car from Port Elisabeth to Cape Town. We had done the Garden Route, we saw some beautiful towns, wild animals, the bushes, the Table Mountain.

The fourth flight was from Cape Town to Londen. Also with a B747-400. This flight was full. Also not realy good places after we asked for it.
They flight was the similar as the from Londen to Johannesburg.
But for dinner we had the chose between Chicken with rise or mashed potatoes with beef. The last was very good.

Arrived in Londen at terminal 4 we had not to switched from terminal we departed at terminal 4 to Brussels. Again control and going to our gate.

Starting Londen - Brussels: duration 1h05m. But after 40 min we were standing in Brussels. They flight was oke.

So, this was my report. I must say I had never fly before with BA but it's a realy good company, friendly, etc. The food was oke, a lot of drinks.
BA did a good job :wink:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for nice feedback.
André
ex Sabena #26567

heathrow

Post by heathrow »

nice report! I'm leaving for my flight on BA in 20 days!

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Thanks for the report, Atlantis! I'm glad you enjoyed " the world's favourite" ;)

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

chunk

Post by chunk »

regi wrote: I will not take KLM/ Air France/SA Air/ Lufthansa/ Emirates because they al have the narrow seats. I don't care for the lost miles. I do even think about using the alternative of Air Namibia which is on the brink to use a A340 (34 inch seat pitch) instead of its old MD11, departing from Frankfurt.
Well - to be honest Economy on BA I found to be one of the most cramped out there - there was something about the design of the seats that seemed to squash you in there. I go KL / AF all the time and I can safely say their seats are not any narrower than any other ecomony seat I have had. As for EK - I hear this bleatin all the time that they are squeezing 10 across a 777 etc etc. Well I have to say I didn't notice much difference - teh difference is that the aisle is narrower. Also - EK airbuses have the same layout as standard - their A330 is very comfortable - not been on their 340's yet.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Thanks for the nice report Atlantis! This reminds me of my 12-day holiday in South Africa 6 years ago, travelling with Sabena on the MD11 to Johannesburg then onwards to Cape Town and renting a car overthere. And we also did the beautiful garden route ;-)

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Thanks for the nice comments. :wink:

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

Good report Atlantis, thanks for sharing it with us.
It seems that British Airways is a quite nice airline, whenever I have the possibility to fly them, they surely will be one of my preferred options. :wink:

regi

Post by regi »

It seems that South-Africa is a subject which calms down the people. Not 1 really negative comment in this subject.
So, let's fly to Cape Town!