shamrock service

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
heathrow

shamrock service

Post by heathrow »

I am wondering what the service of Aer Lingus is like. I have been looking into Shamrock, and in general, Onewrold alliance is good. Anyone ever flown IE? Thanks

chunk

Post by chunk »

Are they not leaving Oneworld? I am on them for the first time from GLA to Dublin next Friday so I will let you know. Though with a 35 minute flight time and a ticket for 50 pounds return I ain;t expecting too much!

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

EI offer a buy-on-board concept on all of their flights (except longhaul flights).

I've read already several good reviews about their breakfast service (price is not too high, and you get good value for money).

Their new A320 aircraft have leather seats (their 'older' A32S aircraft are being refurbished as far as I know) and have 32inch legspace in an all-economy lay-out.

I've flown already twice on EI, though those flights aren't representative for their network. Those were 2 flights on their A330's (a 30-minutes hop from DUB to SNN and back).

EI are a nice airline in general I think...

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

chunk

Post by chunk »

I think at least one of my flights is on a soon to be phased out 735.....

Comet

Post by Comet »

I flew EI back in 2003, before this pay for what you have came in fully, and on a BAe 146. It was comfortable, with leather seats. The cabin crews were average, not bad but not fantastic either. I was more disappinted that I was not able to take any video on the flight, this was the only carrier I have flown with that did not seem to permit the use of video camera, even at cruise (I know you shouldn't use tham at take off and landing). I wouldn't fly with them again because their type of service is not the kind of thing I want when I go on a flight.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

heathrow

Post by heathrow »

I am looking at across the pond with EI. It's sad that the only way I can reach DUB in Novemeber is through connections!
chunk wrote:Are they not leaving Oneworld?
To my knowledge, they are still in and will continue with Oneworld until Ryanair becomes international and merges with them. Atleast that's what I think'll happen

heathrow

Post by heathrow »

Okay, for ORD-DUB. Is an EI330, or an AA763 a btter option? Thanks.

chunk

Post by chunk »

OK fresh from my weekend in Dublin at a friend's wedding......

Aer Lingus - GLA - DUB 2210 Friday 27th May B735

Got to Glasgow Airport after 2.5 hour drive from Aberdeen at about 8pm to find the flight delayed until 2310. Great. So we go have a burger and settle into the bar for a couple of hours - sinking a few beers. Then the delay changes to 2325....then 2335.....turns out two EI planes went 'technical' earlier in the day and everything went to hell after that. Through security and down to the 'old' gate area....it looks like Heathrow T1 down there...not great. Had another beer and watched TV for a while....2335 passes.....and then finally we board at Midnight. Two hours late on a 40 minute flight is not great. The plane was pretty worn looking but comfortable enough I suppose. There is no service really ' just pay for drinks and snack so we can skip that. The flight was over quickly enough but what a donkey ride from hell it was - windy in Glasgow so rocky coming out and the worst descent my girlfriend has ever experienced....it was pretty shaky I have to say...land in Dublin around 1am. The place was bedlam - total chaos....we were lucky to get near the front of the taxi queue and went to the hotel. Every flight into Dublin was late that night I think......

DUB - GLA 29th May 1310 A320
So after spending Saturday at a great wedding and rough as a dog with a hangover we get the taxi to Dublin Airport at 1045. We were told to be there early as security was tight. Apparently, as a test, someone carried a gun through a few days before and got through so everything was ramped up. Check in fine and then saw the line for security....what a joke - it snaked half way round the terminal! It moved reasonably fast at least but we then saw the cause of the problems....welcome to our US style security!!! Laptops out, belts, shoes all off - EVERYONE!!! What a joke.

Next task was to try and get something to soak up the guinness, lager and whisky i had the night before and there was the next problem. One cafe, a shop selling sandwiches or a pub. Thats it. oh...and a lot of overpriced crappy shops. Sandwich it is then. Down to the gate.....the place is like bric a brac - no part of it was like another..really bad design...it was like it was designed by a blind man with an etch a sketch after 10 pints of guiness. Gate area too small for the number of passengers. At least this time we boarded on time - it looked like a very new A320 and was VERY uncomfortable. They seemed to have crammed as many seats in as they could. Took off on time and flight time was about 40 minutes again.....landed in GLA ahead of schedule but they didn;t tell GLA aiport they were sending a larger aircraft so not enough busses to take us to the terminal. We were left on the tarmac for ten minutes. And I mean outside the plane - on the tarmac!!! Saw the EK flight take off for DXB before the bus came back and got us.

Overall I wouldn't like to try EI on anything longer than 1.5 hrs as they are just Ryanair in green and the new plane was so tight spae wise. For 50 pound to DUB though I can't complain i suppose....

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for n ice report, chunk. EI seems to have gone all the way down the road.
André
ex Sabena #26567

HorsePower

Post by HorsePower »

I took the CDG-DUB and CDG-ORK routes with EI quite several times (about 5 trips) and I have to say that the service has dropped during the last 2 years. No more food during flight. You have to pay, even for a coffee.

I remember the time when there was still a fly-shop...

Also, I experienced one time the A330 on DUB-CDG due to the B735 failure, it was so spacious! I've got 3 seats for myself! Unfortunately, I arrived late at Paris airport and most of the bus lines were already closed :( .

Next trip to Ireland this summer thru DUB with Cityjet (WX) (at least, I will have something to eat)...

Regards

Seb.

PS: don't worry, EI will stay with oneworld.

heathrow

Post by heathrow »

so should I be leaning towards the AA763?

chunk

Post by chunk »

What are your other choices then? I hear AA is not actually much good either - I'm sure EI are ok across the pond.....

heathrow

Post by heathrow »

sadly, it is either AA, or EI. I can do AF, BA, but I'd rather make the shorter flight first. It's nice that way, because then you have gotten it over with. Thanks,
Heath

HorsePower

Post by HorsePower »

I used EI again recently on CDG-DUB DUB-CDG segments (the AF flights were full already).

The first flight was dalayed by 01h00, the A320 wasn't at the gate on time.

The return flight was dalayed by 03h30, due to a technical problem. Finally, we took an other airplane. Also, it has impacted other flights because the airplane we took was previously forecasted for an other flight. EI gave us a €8.00 food vouncher for the inconvenience.

Regards

Seb.