Gulf Air - what to expect?

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Erna

Gulf Air - what to expect?

Post by Erna »

Hello,

I will be flying Gulf Air from CDG to BKK on august 15th (and back on september 3th).

This is the route: first leg CDG - AUH (Cabin class: Economy, Meal: Lunch, Distance: 5256 km, Stops: non-stop, Flight Time: 6:55, Airbus A332), second leg AUH - BKK (Cabin class: Economy, Meal: Breakfast, Distance: 4947 km, Stops: non-stop, Flight Time: 6:35, Airbus A340-300).

Any idea on what to expect regarding meals (meals seem to be restricted to a minimum - do I need to pack a picnic :lol: ?) and in-flight entertainment (built-in screen in the back of the seats with free choice of films and games or big screen)?

One last question: the Gulf Air flight leaves at 11h30 at CDG; if I was to take the SN Brussels flight SN3631 that arrives at 10h40 at CDG, do you think I will have enough time to check in for my connecting flight with Gulf Air?

Thanks,

Erna

Jense

Re: Gulf Air - what to expect?

Post by Jense »

Erna wrote:Any idea on what to expect regarding meals (meals seem to be restricted to a minimum - do I need to pack a picnic :lol: ?)
Gulf Air is well known for their very tasty meals, don't worry!
Erna wrote:One last question: the Gulf Air flight leaves at 11h30 at CDG; if I was to take the SN Brussels flight SN3631 that arrives at 10h40 at CDG, do you think I will have enough time to check in for my connecting flight with Gulf Air?
I shouldn't risk it. 50 minutes is really not much, especially if you know CDG's reputation :wink:

heathrow

Post by heathrow »

I've heared that they are one of the best to asia from Skytraxx

Stoney

Post by Stoney »

Hi Erna,

have a look at this : https://www.aviation24.be/posts5031-highlightgulf.html
This is very exagerated in my opinion...

If money wasn't an issue I'd never fly them again...

chunk

Post by chunk »

Hey,

Its been a while since I flew them long haul....infact i think they were still flying TriStars the last time I was on 'em. They are ok though on short haul - always provide a snack and a drink though some of the planes are getting a bit tatty inside. I think you really want to be on one the A330's or ex Sing 340's! I have been on on of their on 340's short haul and it was quiet but again a bit weary inside.

They will be fine I should think......not as good as Qatar or Emirates but better than Kuwait Airways.

heathrow

Post by heathrow »

I think that if you want to fly for that long, PTV's is a very good choice. That is why I wouyld recmnd CX for this route. However I have heared good things about TG.

A380-800

Post by A380-800 »

I did not flew Economy with GFA so far, but First and Business is just excellent (independent if A330 or A340). I am not sure about PTV's on the A340, but I think (hope) they will have them in Economy. The meals are the best I have ever joined so far, at least for first and Busness Class.

Way to go, Gulfair ! :thumbsup2:

marklhr

Post by marklhr »

I've just returned from a business trip from LHR to Karachi via Muscat. LHR-Muscat leg was in business class on A330 with the new sky beds fitted (business class). This was my first experience on Gulf Air and I was extrememly impressed- the international mix of FAs, excellent food and generous portions, comfortable seats and own tv screen (2 channels showing views from the onboard camara so you get cockpit view of take off and landing!). Service on board was very attentive- the best I've experienced from any airline I think that I've flown on.

Muscat-Karachi was on A320 aircraft- again plenty of space and good food. Uneventful flight.

All round, would have no hesitations about recommending Gulf Air (at least for business class).

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

Stoney wrote:Hi Erna,

have a look at this : https://www.aviation24.be/posts5031-highlightgulf.html
This is very exagerated in my opinion...

Same here. I flew Gulf Air from Paris CDG to Bahrain (and back) a few years ago, and it was the worst flying experience I ever had. So bad even, that when I told about these flights on this forum, my post was ommitted for being "racist". :roll:

They'd have to be hundreds of euros cheaper than the competition before I ever fly Gulf Air again, that's for sure.

A380-800

Post by A380-800 »

marklhr wrote: ...All round, would have no hesitations about recommending Gulf Air (at least for business class).
And you did not use the spacious Lavatory L33 on the left door 2 side ?
You would have enjoyed the view through the window !!! :D

rgds,

A380-800

marklhr

Post by marklhr »

ahhh...forgot to mention the loo with the best view! also very spacious and fitted out with pseudo- wooden floor. double the size of any other toilet in the air. nice touch from Gulf Air 8)

Stoney

Post by Stoney »

Ozzie1969 wrote: Same here. I flew Gulf Air from Paris CDG to Bahrain (and back) a few years ago, and it was the worst flying experience I ever had. So bad even, that when I told about these flights on this forum, my post was ommitted for being "racist". :roll:

They'd have to be hundreds of euros cheaper than the competition before I ever fly Gulf Air again, that's for sure.
Well, that was because your remark was pretty racist indeed, I still remember it... Service was indeed very bad but that's no reason to offend other cultures... If you don't want to be together on the same plane with arabs or other cultures I suggest you take a non arab airline...
I didn't have any problems with the presence of different cultures on this airline, I did have a problem with the very bad service...
No offence to you but next time think before you write...

B737229

Post by B737229 »

Comments can be found here about GF service:

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/gulf.htm

regi

Post by regi »

yes, read the last reports, mine is in it accepted some days ago as well.

sixtyseven

Post by sixtyseven »

Stoney wrote:This is very exagerated in my opinion...

agreed.. wholeheartedly.

my recent flight with them was from BAH-BKK.. upon reaching few rows in front of me, they ran out of buns (yes i cannot live without having buns in one of my meals.. :wink: .. can u imagine). the plane was in a mess, stwrds could care less abt the lav, messy enuf that i had to wait till i reached BKK. but BKK-KUL was pleasant, perhaps because i cudn't wait to get out of the plane and even more so because i was reaching home.

KUL-BAH: the passengers were practically 'out of this world.' they simply threw things on the floor and to make things worse, the cabin crew simply ignore the mess.

stms u r lucky to fly with the new plane that they have, other than that, it is the old fleet that they are still deploying.. :(