B.flex B.Light

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Those who have not realized it : yes,Champagne (or a good sparkling white wine as served by a number of airlines like TP or IB) is an important marketing tool in commercial aviation. It is not hilarious, it can mean you retain or loose customers.

Dear "Brussels Airlines", you seem to imply that the b.flex concept is not clear to some people, including myself. Please, read the seventh line of my introductory submission and you will realize I knew from the beginning what b.flex was: the equivalent of Tempo Challenge at Air France or Europe Select at KLM, in other words a full fare conomy class not worth the money the airlines are asking for it. And if to some passengers the b.flex concept was not clear, it is probably not the passengers' fault, it is probalby b.air that did not communicate clearly and properly (their communication with the outside world IS lousy).
If b.air is carrying 6 % more passengers this summer compared to the summer of 2006, with fares probably down more than 6 %, revenue should be lower than last summer. The profitability of a flight does not depend on the number of pax you carry, but on the fares they pay.
And no, we don't claim to be airline managers. We're just either airline freaks who like to talk about technical aspects of commercial aviation, or passengers who want to exchange experiences and take the liberty of saying what they like and what they don't like, and what they would like.

The problem of redeeming free flights with airline miles is a problem which exist with most airlines. There is not a single airline which is going to give you a free ticket is they suspect that the flights you are requesting will be full with fare paying passengers. In addition, many airlines will only relunctantly give you a free ticket on another airline in their frequent flyer program because it means they will have to transfer money to that other airline. Miles are worth money. If b.air gives you a free ticket on Finnair, b.air will have transfer an agreed amount of money to AY.
If your earn miles in b.air's frequent traveler program on a Finnair flight, the latter will have to transfer an agreed amount of money to the former. Please, corrrect me if I am wrong.
B.Air in this respect does what most other airlines do. Getting free tickets with your miles remains difficult with most airlines if your travel dates are not flexible. However, b.air's frequent flyer program remains a poor program, mainly because of the few partners in the program.
In favor of quality air travel.

brussels airlines

Post by brussels airlines »

To Air Key West:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read several topics about Brussels Airlines. And in each topic, you are not very positive about Brussels Airlines. Not when it goes about a fleet renewal, inflight product, Rwanda, etc.

I've read somewhere that you still fly occasionly with them, so there must be something positive ? Could you tell me wath because in my eyes it looks that you just don't like anything at Brussels Airlines ?

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

*Oh yes, I would put Business Class back and better than before:
-priority delivery for baggage even in BRU
-fast lane through security
-priority boarding in ALL airports
- block the middle seat/give more room
- better catering (not 15 gr of chicken) with foie gras and choice between fish/meat...and not 1,5 croissant per passenger as it was the case on my last business flight on Brussels Airlines when they still called it business class. I know some of you find this hilarious but trust me, as the article points out, some passengers pay attention to this !
- premium champagne and wine (at least 3 years old and not cheap Languedoc wines of last year, please).
-choice of newspaper including week end.
-outlet for computer
and most important SERVICE and ATTENTION TO DETAILS !

*Since we are talking about SNBA, they had a special pass like LARGO in C Class which make an average flight in Business cheaper than the current b.flex economy +

*Since we are talking about redemption, I asked Privilege to book two tickets business, any departing date and return date 15 days after the departing date on BA on LHR/LAX or AA on same route or even BRU-ORD-LAX. Guess what the answer was ! Could not find anything...Hard to believe. I told them several times that we should be able to use our miles for F ticket....but again, they don't listen ! I end up with tickets on Iberia, business, but could not reserve specific seat numbers - so we had to fly seperate....what a joke, again ! But the Frequent Flyer Program is another subject...

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Dear "brussels airlines", you are right, I sometimes fly b.air either because there is hardly any choice or if they have a flight schedule which is convenient AND a fairly cheap air fare. B.Air presents itself as a cheap airline and offers cheap service, so I am not prepared to pay b.heavy fares when flying b.air.
If you read the beginning of my introductory submission, you will see that I liked SN Brussels Airlines. I was very loyal to them (Gold card member). I don't like the new concepts and strategy implemented by b.air and I'm saying it (and I'm not the only one).
If it is of some relief to you, b.air is not the only airline which has lost me as a loyal passenger. The same goes for AF (also used to be a Gold card member), but stopped flying them when they really made you feel you were only a passenger and not a shareholder, and when they started to serve Champagne in plastic cups (sorry Airazur...).

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

Air Key West wrote:and when they started to serve Champagne in plastic cups (sorry Airazur...).
Beurk :(

brussels airlines

To Ducatibiker: Well there is not much difference between your Business Class and b.flex:
When I was flying from Brussels to Faro and back in b.flex, on both flights our Bagage had priority. There is a Fast Lane and when I was at the airport, there was nobody in front of me at the Fast lane. About the priority boarding, I have made 4 flights with them. I didn't saw anything for priority boarding, so this should be corrected. But when I was back from Faro, at every gate in pier A there was a sign for b.flex passengers that they could board there at a separete line. I liked the meals, but that is ofcourse personal. For the newspapers I asked what they had in Dutch: De Standaard, De Tijd and Het Laatste Nieuws.
How many passengers actually need quality champagne, wine and a wide chose of catering. On long haul it's another story. But on short haul routes ? The businessmen don't care (the most of them), most of the time there chef even doesn't book them in business class anymore. So their stay's a group of people who want to tavel luxury. OK, they'll probably don't fly Brussels Airlines anymore on short haul. But this are just afew paxs.

To Air Key West: OK, you made your point clear and I can't say anything to that because it's pure personal how you want to fly. Brussels Airlines cnanged it's strategy because Europe wasn't making profit. They wanted to have higher loadfactors, so they brought a concept for the biggest two groups of travellers: people going on vacation (most of them want to fly cheap and don't need the champagne or a meal, they just eat at the airport or at home) and the businessmen where the importants service you can offer them is: flexibility and time-saving.

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Dear "brussels airlines", now you and I are getting somewhere. We agree to disagree. You have flown b.flex and you liked it. I have flown b.flex, I hated it. To a large extend a question of personal taste, or luck ? For instance, you write that you could choose between three Flemish newspapers, Standaard, De tijd en Het laatste Nieuws. On all four b.flex flights I have taken I asked for La Libre Belgique, they only had Le Soir. Then I asked for De Morgen, they did not have it; then I asked for de Standaard, they did not have it ; then I asked for the Herald Tribune, they did not have it. I gave up. And on a recent flight to and from Madrid, they did not have a single Spanish newspaper for the Spanish passengers (I was sitting on the second row in b.light so I can watch what was going on in b.flex). When you fly Iberia you get a large choice of Spanish and Belgian papers and you will even get one for free in economy class. These kind of details make the difference for frequent traveller (not the tourist or the backpacker who travels maybe once or twice a year).
However, I am tempted to say that Ducatibiker's wishes for a new Business class in Europe are maybe closer to First Class than to what one can expect today in Business class in Europe. As I already mentioned, I would compromise for a good sparkling wine (as on TP and IB) instead of Champagne to keep costs down and a reasonable wine selection served from whole bottles (not the cheap small Languedoc bottles b.air gives you in b.flex, but not necessarily top quality wines ; it is well known that even the best wines don't "travel" very well).
I am tempted to say that if b.air increased their b.flex fares by 50 euros per flight with 15 euros going to automatic lounge access and 35 euros to better presentation, quantity and quality of catering, they would have an good product. And I am also tempted to say that travellers who pay for b.flex today would also buy b.flex at an extra 50 euros for a much better in-flight service (I assume that for 35 euros the airline could considerably improve catering). Please, don't say I am trying to be an airline manager. I am a passenger trying to make a constructive proposal.

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Giving it second thoughts, an extra 35 euros for catering is probably exagerated. Does anyone have an idea of the cost of catering for an airline ?

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

Untill further notice, a company is the safest source for information about it’s products. This also applies to Brussels Airlines, and it would be nice if those who blame “management” for whatever first of all would read what the differences between b.flex and b.light are: http://www.brusselsairlines.be/en_be/of ... es/europe/

b.flex is made for the business traveller (which is not the same as Business Class passenger). And contrary to most posts here, he/she is very interested in the advantages b.flex offers, compared to b.light:

- routing may be amended after booking. Means: if I have booked a b.flex on Monday to Milan, and if my business contact later tells me he prefers I come on Tuesday, I can amend my routing at no cost. If I have booked for 2 days, and my business is done after one day, I may return the same day (“subject to availability within same fare category”).

- fully refundable if the flight has to be cancelled. If my Milan contact cancels on the morning I was supposed to leave, I don’t loose money on my ticket.

- combination of: preseating, 30 kg luggage (excellent news for business men on a sales trip), access to Lounge (15 euro’s, or free for Gold or Platinum), meals and drinks on board without having to ask for it.

Air Key West wrote:Dear "Brussels Airlines", you seem to imply that the b.flex concept is not clear to some people, including myself. Please, read the seventh line of my introductory submission and you will realize I knew from the beginning what b.flex was: the equivalent of Tempo Challenge at Air France or Europe Select at KLM, in other words a full fare conomy class not worth the money the airlines are asking for it.
If you think that b-flex is Tempo Challenge or Europe Select, then indeed the rates are supposed to be full fare economy. However, as b.flex is not what you think it is, you’re also wrong about the rates. The rates for b-flex are by far not full fare economy: the airline says “up to 50% cheaper then Business Class”. Up to, indeed. If you check it in the booking module, you will notice that you may get different b.flex rates to one destination on one day. I’ve tried it for GVA: a b.light at 100 euro, one b.flex at 160 euro and another b.flex at 239 euro. So also for b.flex, yield management has been implemented.
Air Key West wrote: And if to some passengers the b.flex concept was not clear, it is probably not the passengers' fault, it is probably b.air that did not communicate clearly and properly
b.flex and b.light were supposed to be launched during an expensive media campaign, on 24th or 25th March 2007. However, that campaign was sabotaged from inside the airline, as some people thought it was the best moment to announce a strike treat. Others were able to realize that the press was not talking about b.flex / b.light, but about the refusal to wear the new uniforms. So actually, you are right: it was not communicated properly. But don’t blame management for it.
Air Key West wrote:Their communication with the outside world IS lousy.
If you mean it’s because they do not react officially on luchtzak.be, you are right. But seriously: your remark is absolutely untrue. Seems you don’t read newspapers and/or you don’t listen to Belgian radio and/or you don’t watch Belgian television news. Because then you would know that the press desk is very efficient. Check the Belga press releases! Even more: Geert Sciot’s cell phone is on the website (and it's not even hidden).
Air Key West wrote:The problem of redeeming free flights with airline miles is a problem which exist with most airlines. There is not a single airline which is going to give you a free ticket is they suspect that the flights you are requesting will be full with fare paying passengers. In addition, many airlines will only relunctantly give you a free ticket on another airline in their frequent flyer program because it means they will have to transfer money to that other airline. Miles are worth money. If b.air gives you a free ticket on Finnair, b.air will have transfer an agreed amount of money to AY. If your earn miles in b.air's frequent traveler program on a Finnair flight, the latter will have to transfer an agreed amount of money to the former. Please, corrrect me if I am wrong. B.Air in this respect does what most other airlines do. Getting free tickets with your miles remains difficult with most airlines if your travel dates are not flexible. However, b.air's frequent flyer program remains a poor program, mainly because of the few partners in the program.
And once again, Brussels Airlines is presented as being unfair. This time because they are supposed to be not flexible with free tickets for Frequent Flyers.

flyavro

Post by flyavro »

if you think their outside communication is crap then you should try their internal one ;-)

I can only tell you what I hear from our cabin crews but I must say that they are getting fed up by always having to explain to the pax how it works and having to apologize for the level of service. They have never had as many complaints from our customers as they are receiving now. Plus most of them hate the new service also: they didn't sign up to become a stewardess to do this kind of (non)service.

Management has already largely succeeded in bringing our job down to the level of busdriver (in some peoples eyes that is), now they are doing the same for their job.

Sad
runway in sight, going for the visual

brussels airlines

Well maybe it's better to bring your job down, than to lose your job. The traditional Business/Economy concept wasn't profitable on the European network, so they had to change that. Ok, maybe they should have comminucated better, but if I read that there was a sabotage for a media campaign from inside, than it was maybe better that Brussels Airlines never was started up. When Sabena went bankrupt, there were people who wanted to start a new company for one reason: to keep as many jobs as possible. They tried to make SNBA succesfull and they did a very well job, and now the management has chosen to grow. It became Brussels Airlines. Normally in a merger, there are always people who lose their jobs. But in this merger, only on management level. Those managers did a lot for the employees, maybe you aren't payed well as those from Ryanair, and maybe you have to work much harder, but you still have your job. And when all of you don't like it there and want to work at another company, you maybe had to said that when people were trying to start up SNBA and later Brussels Airlines. Because, it will never be the same as in the time of Sabena.

eurojet

Post by eurojet »

As such, the B Light and B Flex concept is ok, but they better opted for the Iberia model: their, economy is also "no frills", nothing and att, but rather cheap. Their C-class, however, is still a real C-class. Their is a big market for both models, and they can exist on the same plane, and make it profitable, see Iberia. What I foresee to happen: they wil continue with B-light, and revamp B-flex to put it again "on par" with other C-classes.

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

brussels airlines wrote:Well maybe it's better to bring your job down, than to lose your job.
No way Jose ! Passion is essential in this world and I am very glad to witness that pilots and flights attendants still share that passion. Never bring anyone down, especially someone who has a passion for flying, for service or for passengers or if you prefer, paying customers !

brussels airlines

No way Jose ! Passion is essential in this world and I am very glad to witness that pilots and flights attendants still share that passion. Never bring anyone down, especially someone who has a passion for flying, for service or for passengers or if you prefer, paying customers !
I mean that they changed their concepts not to bring their jobs down but to make the EU network profitable. I have flown 4 times this year with Brussels Airlines and two times b.light and tow time b.flex . I had never the feeling that the pilots were busdrivers and I didn't had the feeling that the crew was offering non-service. It is just a new type of service wich we have seen at Virgin Express all ready. If the cabin crew of ex-SNBA doesn't like it to offer this type of service, do the cabin attendants from ex-VEX like it to offer extra service in b.flex ? I think it is a good concept, maybe it has to be worked out at several points, but Rome wasn't build at one day. Let us wait, see howemany pax they transported this year, what the figures are for 2007.
And about that passion, the pilots from Ryanair, Easyjet, etc. have they lower jobs than those from Lufthansa, KLM, British Airways ? I don't think so.

FlightMate

Post by FlightMate »

They could implement a 3-class product...

A b.light -> eco without meal/drinks
A b.flex -> eco flexible with meal/drinks
A business class -> business with the whole tralala...

Oh, wait... they had it before ... eco, Y-care, and business...
Except that eco pax received free meals. (I agree, it costed money)

Honestly, I find it really stupid to withdraw the choice to pax who really want to fly (and pay) business...

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

eurojet wrote:As such, the B Light and B Flex concept is ok, but they better opted for the Iberia model: their, economy is also "no frills", nothing and att, but rather cheap. Their C-class, however, is still a real C-class. Their is a big market for both models, and they can exist on the same plane, and make it profitable, see Iberia. What I foresee to happen: they wil continue with B-light, and revamp B-flex to put it again "on par" with other C-classes.
Well it depends who is still allowed to fly business on european flights... Would be interesting to do a survey on that, though I'm sure Bair has done one!

From what I hear most major companies do not allow business class travel on European flights anymore. I do believe that Bair has the done a similar survey and came to the same conclusion! My guess is that the biggest customer for Brussels Airlines is the EU, and I know for a fact that they do not allow business class in European flights! They only upper class when rail is used!

Therefore Bair had the choice between 2 different options: Either cater for a small minority who wants all the frills of a business class, or adapt its business class so that it becomes cheaper to operate, and so that cheaper tickets can be offered!

In that sense I believe their strategy goes as follows: Buy B-flex, and we will give you flexibility with a few thrills and faster service, or B-light, but be treated as low cost low value customer! Even the most stingiest business or organisations might find the advantages of B-flex worthwhile.

Cost issues will be lower than they used to, meaning that more businesses will buy B-flex tickets than they used to buy business class tickets. Imagine that it used to be the case that for a certain sector Sn brussels airlines used to make €100 profit with but with a business class only occupied by 8 people. Imagine in one year when the concept is fully understood that for the same sector 15 people allow brussels airlines to earn €70 per person! That is €1050 profit instead of €800 before!

I sincerely don't see what is wrong with this strategy! I find it very suitable for changing travel patterns! As transport studies show cost and travel time is what influences people the most, not comfort and amenities which are an added extra! My survey for my dissertation shows that business passengers only value increases in comfort at £10 per level of changes in Comfort levels! Fair enough this is for travel attributes for a short distances (Manchester to London) but it proves my point!

What scares me most for the future of Brussels are the following 3 items:

- Increasing unreliability due to 1) pilot shortages 2) fleet of aircraft getting older.
- Lack of advertisement.
- Trade unions.

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

Vinnie Vinnie.

Ok with your opinion, but another problem is the codeshare agreement with asian airlines. They want a better service for passenger in C class transported by Bru Air.
For US airlines not a problem.

eurofighter

Post by eurofighter »

Here is another regular traveller. I already commented in other threads about b light b flex, it's pros and cons. I kind of like it even though flights on b light is only true value for money on routes with competition from f.e. Easyjet or SkyEurope. On other routes it is often quite pricey for a non frills service, particularly on the routes previously served by SNBA rather than VEX.

b flex is by others compared to the Europe select of KLM and Tempo Challenge of AF. I think with a bit of fine tuning the product can be quite nice and up to levels with the competition. After all, it's mostly for flights for up to two hours. What counts there is speed and flexibility for the people who do not want to Q for 40 minutes at check in and want to be able to change their flight at all times with minimum hassle. In flight service should be consistent though for frequent travellers and not be different at each flight. Slightly nicer drinks and food would already make a difference, including bubbly wine, and possibly lounge access.

Look forward to see Brussels Airlines management fine tune their product in the coming months!

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

A somewhat belated response (in several parts) to yesterday's LX-LGX reactions :
You say "b.lex is not full fare economy ; the airline says its 50 % cheaper than business class". Are you not mixing up full far economy and business class. If you pay full fare economy, you don't get Business class. However, you are right, I should not have used the words "full fare economy" which is an IATA concept (fare code Y) which hardly anybody uses anymore. I should have said "fully flexible economy". That is what b.flex is (and AF Tempo Challenge and KL Europe Select) : no penalties for refunds or changes, and econmy type of comfort and service on board.

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

In your second reaction, LX-LGX, you write that the launching campaign of b.flex b.light was sabotaged by a strike threat by flight attendants refusing to wear new uniforms, which got all the attention of the press according to you.
Completely wrong. Please, before correcting others, make sure what you clqim is right.
The flight attendants did indeed threaten to strike, but not over new uniforms, but because they refused the reduction in the turnaround times for aircraft from 40 to 30 minutes. Instead of striking, they refused to wear the new uniforms during the first days of b.air in order to protest against a unilateral decision which would increase their work load without compensation; In the end, they got additional "meal cheques" (chèques reaps/maatlijdcheques).