Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Airbus A330

Re: BRU infrastructure: future

Post by Airbus A330 »

Does someone have an idea where the 2 additional widebody gates will be ?

travellover

Post by travellover »

Hello Everybody,

Very good idea.
So,they'll replace the bus lounges that are located in the middle of the terminal.
Cheers

jake99

Post by jake99 »

At the end of the A pier,BAC made 3 A/C stands and painted some sort of walking lines (symbol looks like when you are near a school)to each stand.Each walk line is surrounded with concrete blocks,are these Low cost stands ?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Airbus A330 wrote:Does someone have an idea where the 2 additional widebody gates will be ?
This is my thought: at least one where the current bus lounge is and one at the end of pier B on the right hand side (unless it will be to close with the taxilane).

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

jake99 wrote:At the end of the A pier,BAC made 3 A/C stands and painted some sort of walking lines (symbol looks like when you are near a school)to each stand.Each walk line is surrounded with concrete blocks,are these Low cost stands ?
Saw this also and it will be indeed for LCC.
Best regards,

Airbuske

Established02

Post by Established02 »

Bekendmaking
Attachments
IMG_0038 (2).jpg
IMG_0035 (2).jpg

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Established02 wrote:Bekendmaking
To announce that TUI Airlines Belgium will re-build the hangar 40.

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

Tec4jets is doing great it seams.

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Look at the impressive plans for the connector building between the Terminal and Pier A:

http://www.unstudio.com/projects/brusse ... -connector

(Click on the picture for more pics)

Stunning architecture!!

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Looks really nice. Nice shape, the sides seem to be of glass and the roof also has quite some glass in it. So a lot of daylight, a big difference with the current tunnel to the A-pier. If that would really become the connector (the status mentions "competition entry", so this is far from a final design), the A-pier (including the future extension)/Connector will be a very nice part of the airport. And with the use of the right materials such a design is not necesserally expensive either (and I suppose it may not be too expensive as they have certain budget to achieve several projects, like connector, A-pier extension,...)

What do bothers me...you see Transavia and Air France all over the airport... :lol:

BrusselsAirlines

Post by BrusselsAirlines »

Yep, they got a clear view of the future - Lufthansa & KLM AF - all the rest = gone...

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

But what important is with UNStudio is that the architect office of M & J-M Jaspers - J Eyers & Partners is involved in this.
This office is also responsible of the building of Pier B, Pier A, the Gateway-project. They are only an advisor for UNStudio, but they are major important.

BTW do you also saw at the bottom of the picture, T2 with the airplane stands??

SN539

Post by SN539 »

Boavida wrote:Look at the impressive plans for the connector building between the Terminal and Pier A:

http://www.unstudio.com/projects/brusse ... -connector

(Click on the picture for more pics)

Stunning architecture!!

The project of UN STUDIO is indeed very impressive .. but unfortunately I don't think this project is the winner of the architecture competition ...

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

SN539 wrote: The project of UN STUDIO is indeed very impressive .. but unfortunately I don't think this project is the winner of the architecture competition ...
Just out of interest, is there already taken a decision?

Anyway, I'm not sure either this design can win the 'competition'. But why not? It depends on several things: can it this be achieved in the projected time phrame, will this design not exceed the projected budget, is it usable/efficient for this, ... If this questions can be awnsered positivily this design can easilly win. The A-pier (including the connector) and the future Terminal 2 are going to be the hub for SN/Star Alliance, the gateway to Belgium, the transfer hub to Africa, ... . This has to be impressive. And look at other new airport constructions all over the world, even from very small airports. They all seem impressive lately. Why shouldn't BRU do this? Maybe it is typicall Belgian to be negative about such impressive projects... (btw, SN539: with this I don't say you all say this, but your post was the ideal opportunity to say this :P )

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Am I really the only one who thinks this design is plain ugly? It doesn't fit in the surrounding infrastructure neither.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Conti764 wrote:Am I really the only one who thinks this design is plain ugly? It doesn't fit in the surrounding infrastructure neither.
No, you are not the only one, but I have to keep some neutrality here...
André
ex Sabena #26567

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Conti764 wrote:Am I really the only one who thinks this design is plain ugly? It doesn't fit in the surrounding infrastructure neither.
So you prefer boring architecture like 95% of all buildings in Belgium? Come on. If you go to Holland (or France, or Germany, or...), it's amazing how many great new architecture you see, while in Belgium it's the opposite.

I'm very happy about this (proposed) design. Have you seen the inside? It looks amazing. 8-)

Stij

Post by Stij »

I agree!

BRU needs an eyecatcher! I have an idea, let's call Calatrava and ask him to do for BRU what he did for Liège-Guillemins and is doing for Mons: putting the buildings and cities on the map!

Kind regards,

Stij

P.S. I like UN Studio's design if it's functional...

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Boavida wrote:
So you prefer boring architecture like 95% of all buildings in Belgium? Come on. If you go to Holland (or France, or Germany, or...), it's amazing how many great new architecture you see, while in Belgium it's the opposite.

I'm very happy about this (proposed) design. Have you seen the inside? It looks amazing. 8-)
Well, first of all I am not into this kind of futuristic Star Wars-design, but that's just subject to our own taste of course. More importantly though, I prefer a modern, light design that fits into the surrounding area. This proposal doesn't resemble any of the buildings it connects, not the terminal, nor the A-pier.

At the existing airport you already see some sort of clash between different generations of constructing, Although opening the A-pier was only about 7 years later then opening the terminal and the B-pier, the latter is more a to-the-point, straight building while the first is more curvacious and lighter. The proposed design squeezes another kind of infrastructure in between the two: a sharp futuristic design which would fit nicely on a completely new terminal, but not in between two other buildings who differ heavily from each other already.

I would prefer this proposal:

As modern, as functional as the other proposal, but albeit being something different as well, not as sharp a clash with the current infra as the one from UN studios.

But that's just my opinion.
Last edited by Conti764 on 27 Oct 2011, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Stij wrote:I agree!

BRU needs an eyecatcher! I have an idea, let's call Calatrava and ask him to do for BRU what he did for Liège-Guillemins and is doing for Mons: putting the buildings and cities on the map!

Kind regards,

Stij

P.S. I like UN Studio's design if it's functional...
Calatrava's design for Guillemins is beautiful, but it is a building on its own and the city of Liège has some major plans with the surrounding area making the building even fit more into the surrounding. A major (international) station like Guillemins has a central city function in the opinion of the NMBS and thus deserves an outstanding design. The Connector at BRU only has the function to funnel peopla between the terminal and the A-pier and thus does not need an outstanding design imho.

Besides, Calatrava is not a good option. Wasn't Guillemins highly over budget? ;)

Off topic: the most astonishing train station in this country is Antwerp Central Station in my opinion. Old and new perfectly blended together.