Place For Roman Fans In Antwerp

This is the place to hang out when you have finished your aviation related discussions, please remain always friendly and respectful against each other! Offensive and/or racist remarks are not allowed.
Comet

Place For Roman Fans In Antwerp

Post by Comet »

For all those Luchtzak members who appreciate quality beer (especially from the Roman brewery) there is an excellent place in Antwerp.

It's Bacchant, Suikerrui 32, 2000 Antwerp, tel 03 289 85 13

We decided to eat there because we like Roman beers, the sign on the wall caught our attention. The waiter soon discovered he was dealing with people who know their beer. He was asking us if we preferred blond or dark, bottled or pulled, lager or whatever. He soon shut up when we asked if they still sold Roman beers, and if so, did they have any Ename Tripel?

I had my first ever Ename beer here, I find it very similar in theme to Ciney and Tongerlo. It is a superb beer and worth seeking out (it is not easy to find generally outside Oudenaarde).

For a meal I ordered "rumsteak" which came with proper, perfectly cooked chips and pepper sauce.

All the steak I've had in Belgium has been perfectly cooked, unlike that nearly raw stuff you get in France, and this was no exception. It was a tender piece of meat and perfectly complimented by the pepper sauce.

For those of you who are visiting (or live in) Antwerp, who like good meat and excellent Roman beer, then this is for you.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

I have to add that this place doesn't do a big thing on advertising their beer, there was no beer list. They seemed more keen on having a wine and cocktail list.

So if anyone goes in wanting a beer, you would do well to know exactly which beer you want beforehand. But for Roman brewery fans, it really is a must.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet,

Roman beer is not very common in Belgium (except perhaps close to the brewery). And, in my opinion of almost daily Belgian beer drinker, it has nothing exceptional (except perhaps for people around the brewery).

But you are right to say that a decent eatery should have a beer list for people who do not want to drink wine with their meal.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

I will go to any lengths to have a Sloeber (that's why I go to Oudenaarde) and I find Ename similar to Ciney and Tongerlo. They are all easy to drink beers without the harsh hoppiness of some other beers.

I am so fond of Sloeber that we brought some back with us (including the correct glass) to drink at Christmas and New Year.

That is how much of a Roman fan I am.
Louise

VC10

Post by VC10 »

I also love Roman beers, so in this particular field I have much in common with Comet.

I would love to know why these beers are so hard to find anywhere outside their native brewery area...
The Voice of Freedom will never be silenced.

Trisha

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

VC10 wrote:I would love to know why these beers are so hard to find anywhere outside their native brewery area...
Good question. This has to do with Belgian traditions. In the 1900s, every corner had a cafe (one cafe for less than 100 inhabitants), and many cafes were brewing their own beer.

With rationalisation, local breweries came along in almost every village to replace cafe breweries. Some of these local breweries still exist: the local people know them, but hardly anyone else.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

The Trappist monasteries don't do too bad - Chimay has a massive world wide export business, then in popularity come Westmalle, Orval (how anyone can drink that I will never know), Rochefort (beautiful beers, especially the 10), Westvleteren (which is NOT only available at the abbey, I once bought some in a beer shop in Brussels, and in September that same beer shop had a Westvleteren gift pack on sale) and then the newest one, Achel.

There was once a Dutch Trappist beer, called La Trappe, from the Schaapskooi monastery, but I don't kow if it's still available.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet wrote:There was once a Dutch Trappist beer, called La Trappe, from the Schaapskooi monastery, but I don't kow if it's still available.
It is still available, but it cannot carry the "Pure Trappist Product" label anymore, since it is not brewed by the monks any longer, but in a ordibary brewery.
André
ex Sabena #26567