topic at Airliners.net: MAS Hints At Madrid And Brussels

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

blackhawk

topic at Airliners.net: MAS Hints At Madrid And Brussels

Post by blackhawk »

Hot on the contrails of today's launch of its new Kuala Lumpur-Stockholm-Newark service and the introduction of the first 777 service into Arlanda Airport, Malaysia Airlines today announced as part of their press release that it was now studying returning to Brussels and Madrid.

I guess with Singapore Airlines withdrawing from both markets - it sees a niche which it may be able to fill operating its highly successful 777s.

I wonder why Brussels would make a good choice given its proximity to its minihub at Amsterdam, but with no direct links to Southeast Asia and Australasia - Madrid could work once again. Any thoughts of potential routings?
Source: http://www.airliners.net/discussions/ge ... 1804119/4/

This is the so called press-release
but I don't see BRU in it.

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

let's hope they come to Bru

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

Hi guys,

Let's wait and see...
There are a lot of rumours going around from carriers that
are planning flights to BRU!

That's what I think.

Greetings

Airbuske :)

Humberside

Post by Humberside »

Madrid would make sense as Singapore Airlines just pulled service to there

Flying-Belgian

Post by Flying-Belgian »

As far as I remember (and saw on the spot) MAS used to fly to and from MAD with an A330-300.

The routing was KUL-IST-MAD back in 1999 I think.

And we of course still remember MAS D10 here in BRU with the routing via DXB.

FB.

regi

Post by regi »

Malaysian to Brussels?
that would mean a stopover again to Singapore, Bangkok, Australia,...not so many reginal interest for Malaysia itself.
But this connection could break up a bit the leading trend of leaving BRU.
Welcome anyway.

Avro

Post by Avro »

It would be great, but there are so many rumours currently that nearly every carrier "would" consider flying to BRU :roll:

Let's just wait and see (and hope for the best of course :) )

Chris

firrech

MAS with SNBA

Post by firrech »

May be MAS 'll become the new partner of SNBA for flights to Asia.
I often fly with MAS to Asia via Vienna or Manchester. The pre-acheminement 's all the time with SNBA.
When you fly to Kuala Lumpur, it's ok but when you fly to Hanoi, Singapore, saigon, Denpasar, ...., you have 2 stops. it's a little bit longer.
I think if MAS comes back to brussels, it would be a good opportunity for the very big Asia market.

N.B. : when i use MAS, a lot of belgian people are on my flights.

waldova

Post by waldova »

Yes it is true. I'm shure their is a market for Asia. Especially because their is almost no carrier flying from Brussels to Asia. Only Bangladesh airlines.
I still remember seeing the 747 of Singapore Airlines, the A340 of China Eastern. It is a pitty they left. Is their maybe someone who knows why these airlines left Brussels? I think is because Brussels airport is way to expensive for Airliners to operate from. I have heard that a desk at the airport cost more than 900€ a day to rent from BIAC!! :dammit: Way to expensive in my eyes. No wonder that BIAC makes even profit when many airlines are leaving Brussels for better horizons and cheaper airports.