I go spotting Tomorrow ! Who joins me?

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips

Moderator: Plane spotting team

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thank you Bart!!! :D
Mechelen does sound a nice place!!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

meerkat wrote:@Comet

( Student fares are as low as €18 return).
Where did u find that price?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

luchtzak wrote:One thing you definetely must visit is the 97 meters high St.-Rombouts-toren !!
And the 700 m at the signal of Botrange, not far away from Spa. The highest point in Belgium :wink:
André
ex Sabena #26567

meerkat

Post by meerkat »

@comet

I have nothing against Mechelen, or anywhere else in Belgium for that matter. In my opinion Belgium is a hidden gem - a place where many people just blast along the motorways on their way to holidays further afield, yet having lived here for over 6 years I can say that there loads of great places to visit - only the coast is disappointing in its lack of variety compared with the UK for example.

@killerwhale 65

My nephew was here 4 weeks ago and went to Amsterdam for the day from Berchem on the Thalys for €18 - just called them and that is fare given!!! Could have been a special offer and we were lucky.

Meerkat

Comet

Post by Comet »

Meerkat - the food on the Belgian coast is far superior to any I've had on the English coast. In both Blankenberge and Oostende, when I ordered plaice, I got the whole fish, cooked on the bone. It was divine. If you ask for plaice anywhere on the English coast (and indeed anywhere in England), all you get are those pathetic little scrags ("fillets") in breadcrumbs. I just like Oostende, much better than Scarborough. What would I give to live in Belgium (seriously!!)?? And you can't get proper beer here. If you say you like Belgian beer, folk think of Stella (the licence brewed rubbish, not the proper version). If you're very lucky you might find someone who's heard of Leffe (though they can't tell you which kind of Leffe they like out of the five varieties available). If you're even luckier, someone might say they've been to Belgium and had Trappist beer. Ask them what kind: "oh, I don't know, I just asked for a Trappist beer and drunk the one I was served!!" And the Leffe here is served in a Guinness glass (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) One pub recently advertised Leffe Blond as a "guest lager", just shows what they know about Belgian beer. Yes, give me the Belgian coast (and indeed Belgian anywhere) over Scarborough anytime. And in 19 days I will be there (wonderful!!!)
And the Belgians are the friendliest, most helpful people I've ever come across anywhere!!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

BBKing

Post by BBKing »

To Comet:

As I stated before: visit Antwerp (especially Antwerp-south, being the most trendy part of town) and afterwards visit "De Kempen", the region east of Antwerp: very quiet and green and great ....

To all:

If you have ever the possibility to go spotting at Schiphol you really have to take that opportunity. Five runways (of which two or three are active at every moment) and a lot of traffic, with visitors that never can be seen at EBBR.

Best place to go is at the end of runway 27: a great spotterscorner at a big parking, with a Mc Donalds, and less than 100 metres from the treshold of the runway !!!!!!

Moreover being a spotter is an accepted way of living in Holland. Nobody is surprised to see you walking around with a Kodak, a scanner (permitted in Holland !!), making some weird sounds when an exotic plane is turning on final ....

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Hi all,
Here dates I go back to BRU :

- 21/08

- 26/08

- 30 and/or 31 /08

Hope to see you all!

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Guys,

I am gonna close this topic!

We have allready messages on dinners, tourist-visits, etc... ;-)

Rutger BIVA,

if you want you can post a new topic with your spottingdates to keep it nice overview-able!

ciao,

Bart
:rock: