Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

convair

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by convair »

Homo Aeroportus wrote: 09 Sep 2023, 17:25
convair wrote: 09 Sep 2023, 12:06 ....
SN flew to Mumbai (then called Bombay) in the seventies with B727s and B707s on the southern route to Manilla, Tokyo and some other Far East destinations; maybe also with DC-10s.
Affirm.
I once flew back from Bangkok, then out of Don Mueang as it was around 87-88 in another century.
The flight came from Tokyo and it was a milkman's run : DMK - BOM - DXB - BRU.
On a DC-10 indeed with a small 21-seat C cabin just behind the partition with the cargo area in front. You had that small door through it to reach the flight deck.
Other times.

H.A.
Yeah, the good ole times! I dont remember DBX being on the route. Wasn't it ATH instead?

If I remember correctly, there were 2 routes to the Far East at that time: one was BRU-ATH-BOM-DMK-TYO; the other was BRU-ATH-BOM-DMK-SIN-Jakarta (CGK?).
It was called the "omnibus" in French, similar to the "milkman's run" nickname indeed. With the cargo section in front,like in some of the B707s and B727s.

Maybe André remembers those.

Stij

Post by Stij »

And right before the end, Sabena flew to Chennai.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

crew1990 wrote: 11 Sep 2023, 01:12 According to: https://sites.google.com/view/europeanairlinefleets/bel an 11th A330 could come even earlier than foreseen...

Rumour say that OO-SFL; OO-SFK; OO-SFP could rejoin the SN fleet. Could be actually logical since they were already register in the past in Belgium so it could be administratively easier. But also logitically easier since we already fly OO-SFJ wich have the exact same cabin, configuration and equipment than D-AIKA and D-AIKC (ex OO-SFK and OO-SFL)
Fine rumours and happy to read it, but why the sudden 'rush' to expand SN's fleet? (Much) better then expected financials? Opportunities? Looming competition?

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Opportunities I guess, as there are A330's wich will be availaable within the group. But still, I'll believe it when I'll see it because 2 A330 in one year seems to be a lot and will put pressure on many aspect such as recruitment of new colleagues.

In another hand we already see internally that they are moving toward an expansion. ALL the temporary contract have been made permanent. All the peak purser (purser in summer/ccm in winter) on previous year plus half of the new one of this year have been made permanent too. Hiring of pilot and ccm is going at full speed at the moment.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Conti764 wrote: 11 Sep 2023, 09:36
crew1990 wrote: 11 Sep 2023, 01:12 According to: https://sites.google.com/view/europeanairlinefleets/bel an 11th A330 could come even earlier than foreseen...

Rumour say that OO-SFL; OO-SFK; OO-SFP could rejoin the SN fleet. Could be actually logical since they were already register in the past in Belgium so it could be administratively easier. But also logitically easier since we already fly OO-SFJ wich have the exact same cabin, configuration and equipment than D-AIKA and D-AIKC (ex OO-SFK and OO-SFL)
Fine rumours and happy to read it, but why the sudden 'rush' to expand SN's fleet? (Much) better then expected financials? Opportunities? Looming competition?
It's what I wrote already a few years ago, to make profit, you need to invest. It's a very good sign that we see this. Profit will not come from Leisure destinations but from long haul, business destinations and a calm social work environment

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

As aviation geek, we prefer to see SN flying other stuff than Tenerife, Hurghada or Heraklion... But trust me those flight generate a lot of revenue as well. It allow SN to have a beter use of the fleet since those flights are mainly on Saturday and Sunday, when demand for business routes is lower. Also the risk for those flight are much lower since the seat are partially or fully paid by tour operator. A good balance between business routes and leisure route during week-end and holiday is the best way to generate profit. And by the way even on Tenerife, Malaga etc we also have some connecting passenger.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Of course, I absolutely agree. Regarding the Leisure flights is an existing agreement. This is money, revenue, which is easy to receive and to fill the planes. Especially during the weekend.

I hope only that with a growing fleet also the number of business destinations will grow.
Europe is very well covered except some Scandinavian destinations and some Beltic ones where is really a growing demand. Especially to those countries without own national carrier

brabel

Post by brabel »

I hope some destinations become year round too, such as Athens, Napoli, Bordeaux...

ezis_bis

Post by ezis_bis »

Atlantis wrote: 11 Sep 2023, 20:40 I hope only that with a growing fleet also the number of business destinations will grow.
Europe is very well covered except some Scandinavian destinations and some Beltic ones where is really a growing demand. Especially to those countries without own national carrier
Like Tallinn?

I would personally love that, but even a few weekly A220s on airBaltic seem to be sufficient
You need to have enough people x enough money

Helsinki is the only that makes me wonder a bit

Skyman

Post by Skyman »

Announcement to be made tomorrow morning .

Check the news !

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Skyman wrote: 11 Sep 2023, 22:13 Announcement to be made tomorrow morning .

Check the news !

I just saw this on LinkedIn
IMG_0281.jpeg

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Indeed OO-SFP comes back. This is at the moment the D-AIKG at Lufthansa.

There will be 6 extra flight.

Monday: BRU-NBO-BRU
Tuesday: spare aircraft
Wednesday: BRU-KGL-NBO-BRU
Thursday: BRU-NBO-BRU
Friday: BRU-NBO-BRU
Saturday: BRU-NBO-BRU
Sunday: BRU-KGL-NBO-BRU

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Boeing767copilot wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 03:14
Skyman wrote: 11 Sep 2023, 22:13 Announcement to be made tomorrow morning .

Check the news !

I just saw this on LinkedIn

IMG_0281.jpeg
Nice catch! Article written: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... -aircraft/

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

crew1990 wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 07:48 Indeed OO-SFP comes back. This is at the moment the D-AIKG at Lufthansa.

Small correction; tuesday isn't really "spare day", they will rather have more flexibility to allow the A-checks of the A330 fleet and rotate the checks more easily. And thus impact and improve dispatch reliability.

I assume SN has received some strong guarantees and contracts on the cargo side through Lufthansa Group. NBO remains an important cargo gateway for East-African market and the A330-300 in 230t version is the right workhouse for this purpose.

It's a positive news, though I hope the OO-SFP cabin will be updated before it joins again the fleet. Hard product consistency is of utmost importance nowadays.

Who knows, one day, one of these A333s will be "P2Fed" to stay in a proper SN cargo division. ;)

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Darjeeling wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 10:30
crew1990 wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 07:48 Indeed OO-SFP comes back. This is at the moment the D-AIKG at Lufthansa.

Small correction; tuesday isn't really "spare day", they will rather have more flexibility to allow the A-checks of the A330 fleet and rotate the checks more easily. And thus impact and improve dispatch reliability.

I assume SN has received some strong guarantees and contracts on the cargo side through Lufthansa Group. NBO remains an important cargo gateway for East-African market and the A330-300 in 230t version is the right workhouse for this purpose.

It's a positive news, though I hope the OO-SFP cabin will be updated before it joins again the fleet. Hard product consistency is of utmost importance nowadays.

Who knows, one day, one of these A333s will be "P2Fed" to stay in a proper SN cargo division. ;)
But changing the cabin seems obvious to me, premium and Business class doesn't have the same layout than Brussels Airlines?
It's not the youngest machine either!
Hasta la victoria siempre.

convair

Post by convair »

lumumba wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 10:55

But changing the cabin seems obvious to me, premium and Business class doesn't have the same layout than Brussels Airlines?
It's not the youngest machine either!
True, but let's not be too picky for the moment. This is great news!

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

Or just they "replace" Swiss which didn't resume flights to Nairobi after Covid. There is a gap from LH Group at Nairobi. IAG has British Airways (1 flight a day using A350-100 since mid 2023 replacing the B777-200ER) and well helped by its oneworld partner Qatar Airways (2 flights a day using mainly the B777-300ER) Air France KLM operates daly service from Amsterdam and CDG.

LX seems now focused leisure destinations in Africa with Edelweiss who serves Mombasa and Zanzibar while before covid LX served Dar Es Salaam and Nairobi. While before Covid they had ambitions in Africa with the A321Neo

CEO: SWISS considering Airbus A321neoLR for Africa routes
https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/ ... ica-routes

LX has now code share on some SN routes in Africa and the fact that Ethiopian serves Zurich means that LX won't probably do a big expansion into Africa and although the Swiss government has identified 6 lions. 6 countries with which it wishes to increase its presence (Nigeria, Ethiopia, Senegal, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Rwanda) https://www-jeuneafrique-com.translate. ... r_pto=wapp

The doors are open for SN.
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Darjeeling wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 10:30 It's a positive news, though I hope the OO-SFP cabin will be updated before it joins again the fleet. Hard product consistency is of utmost importance nowadays.
Unfortunately no, there will be some light appearance modifications as change of carpet, seat cover etc to fit the SN colour. But a full retrofit (same for OO-SFJ) is planned for later (but will come).

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

crew1990 wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 12:16
Darjeeling wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 10:30 It's a positive news, though I hope the OO-SFP cabin will be updated before it joins again the fleet. Hard product consistency is of utmost importance nowadays.
Unfortunately no, there will be some light appearance modifications as change of carpet, seat cover etc to fit the SN colour. But a full retrofit (same for OO-SFJ) is planned for later (but will come).
Once again that's really a shame and small savings the premium economy (Is a separate cabin) and Business is much better than Lufthansa,I find it shameful for a large group like Luftansa which can quietly modernize all the interiors of its own planes but Brussels has to keep it cheap!
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Matt

Post by Matt »

lumumba wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 12:41
crew1990 wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 12:16
Once again that's really a shame and small savings the premium economy (Is a separate cabin) and Business is much better than Lufthansa,I find it shameful for a large group like Luftansa which can quietly modernize all the interiors of its own planes but Brussels has to keep it cheap!
And what if they'd relaunch a daily direct flight to Luanda with it...? :D