EXIT signs on aircraft

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Sai

EXIT signs on aircraft

Post by Sai »

Are there any kind of regulations on the type of EXIT signs that have to be used on (new) aircraft?

It is considered one of the most important items as passengers are briefed on this before every flight.
We used to see the classic red EXIT - lettered sign, sometimes accompanied by another language.
Since Boeing 787 (I think) they started to use the green ‘Running Man’ exit sign which is considered the standard emergency exit sign by the International Standard Organisation (ISO) in everyday life worldwide.

The ‘running man’ is argued, amongst other advantages, to be understood amongst different cultures, languages, etc.…which imo seems a ‘plus’ in aviation.

However it seems now a mix of both signs is used and it doesn’t seem to be an ‘old vs new aircraft’-issue. My observations:

Boeing 737 NG: classic EXIT sign
Boeing 737 MAX: :?:
Boeing 787: Green Running Man, however I saw a pic of a UA B787 with the classic EXIT sign
Airbus A 350: Green Running Man
Airbus A 320: classic EXIT sign
Bombardier CS 100: Green Running Man
Sukhoi SSJ: classic EXIT sign
Other: :?:

So it doesn’t seem to be a case of ‘old vs new’ or ‘Boeing vs Airbus’ or ‘US vs Europe following ISO’

Furthermore it seems on Airbus exit signs are lit during the entire flight
as on Boeing they are only lit during an emergency or power loss…

Can airlines or aircraft manufacturers choose and wouldn’t it be better to use the same sign or are there maybe regulations in place already?
Google isn’t of much help, so thought maybe some people on the forum have an idea… :mrgreen:

sn26567

Re: EXIT signs on aircraft

Post by sn26567 »

Interesting (and important) question. I never paid too much attention to those signs, but I should, as it relates to safety.

I think that both signs are clearly understood all over the world. The word EXIT itself is not only English, but also Latin and thus quite universal. The green running man also has a meaning that nobody can ignore.

To me, both signs can coexist: both are clear enough to the common people.
André
ex Sabena #26567

feniks

Post by feniks »

Hello

This is something which is defined in the Certification specifications of the aircraft.
For these ones, it's the CS-25 in EASA environment or the PART 25 in FAA environment.
Paragraph 25.811 clearly defines what you should use as an emergency exit marking.

In the EASA CS-25 it leaves the door open for either the word 'EXIT' or a universal symbolic exit sign.
In the FAR PART 25, it only states you can use the word "exit". Which means there is a difference between US and EU regulations and probably also Airbus and Boeing.

Now, I do remark there is a 'CRI' on the emergency exit marking (not on detail, just mentioned) in the EASA Type certificate of the 787... Might be kind of a deviation on the marking maybe?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for your explanations, feniks, and welcome to Luchtzak!
André
ex Sabena #26567

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

interesting topic: the Air Koryo IL-18 has a Red Exit sign.
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

convair

Post by convair »

Always a good idea to take a picture of the Exit sign! ;)

Sai

Post by Sai »

Thanks feniks,
You provided a good starting point to investigate.
According to the docs I found on EASA's website my understanding is that both (EXIT vs. symbolic sign) are accepted by EASA, as long as it is consistently used and fulfills all sorts of other requirements, etc.

So until now I would say it appears a choice of the Boeing designers/engineers of the B787 to start using the green running man.
Didn't have the time to check FAA's docs but can only assume it's the same as AA also uses the symbolic sign on B787 (opposed to UA B787 as an exception)

However the first B737MAX (Malindo Air) seems to use the classic EXIT sign again...Opposed to what I would expect on a 'new' aircraft.

So it remains a mystery after all :lol:

Curious what (European) Airbus will do with their neo's.

feniks

Post by feniks »

Hi

I assume the Boeing 737 has started of with a type design based on the FAR (US) regulations.

Which means they could only have the "EXIT" marking certified as this is what FAR 25.811 obliges to.
FAR 25 does not have the possibility to use the green man so far...

I see in the type certificate a EASA CRI mentioned again for the 737-8 "MAX" on the FAR 25.811 certification base.
Maybe they do leave the door open to have them installed on the "European" 737, just a guess. ;)

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

I am definitely in favour of the pictogram.

EXIT, even with possible translation in a second language doesn't stand the comparison when you want to communicate universally.

I took this pic during a calibration flight earlier this year and the addition of the Bahasa Indonesia wording does not make it any clearer that this is supposed to be an exit way. :lol:
Exit kind of.JPG
H.A.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Homo Aeroportus wrote: 05 Jul 2017, 21:46 I am definitely in favour of the pictogram.

EXIT, even with possible translation in a second language doesn't stand the comparison when you want to communicate universally.

I took this pic during a calibration flight earlier this year and the addition of the Bahasa Indonesia wording does not make it any clearer that this is supposed to be an exit way. :lol:

Exit kind of.JPG

H.A.
Doesn't seem like an exit, looking at the pile of luggage in front of it :roll:

Mente1953

Post by Mente1953 »

quixoticguide wrote: 19 Jun 2017, 14:35 Image

interesting topic: the Air Koryo IL-18 has a Red Exit sign.
Hey mate what do u showing us, exit or that beauty ? )) too bad i'm injured now.. really miss the planes... instead i must stay at home ... good things there are these forums where i can forget a bit about problems.
Last edited by sn26567 on 16 May 2018, 18:18, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: removed advertisement

Homo Aeroportus

luchtzak wrote: 05 Jul 2017, 22:24
Homo Aeroportus wrote: 05 Jul 2017, 21:46 I am definitely in favour of the pictogram.

Exit kind of.JPG

H.A.
Doesn't seem like an exit, looking at the pile of luggage in front of it :roll:
I had the same reaction, hence the photo, but we were only four on board (Beech King Air 200) and I had no real safety concern. Just a bit out of ordinary.
As was the hundred times repeated aural warning "Too Low, Gear ; Too Low, Gear ; ..." but OK no worries. Real good pilots from DGCA with all the fun of an afternoon flight at low level and near the equator :lol:

H.A.

sbrody

Post by sbrody »

Hello all.

Scott from US clarifying regulations in this country.

Historically the US has been behind in international standards such as symbolic exit signs and more notably the SI system of measurement. In around 2014, Boeing did petition the US FAA to allow the running man in place of "exit" word signs. The FAA approved and it is now allowed on both passenger and transport category aircraft. Link to one of their study below:

https://www.faa.gov/data_research/resea ... 201403.pdf

The running man is also starting to be used in US tunnels and in some low level exit signs in hi-rise buildings. NYC even has a law requiring this symbol many times. That said, running man is still not permitted as the main exit sign in US buildings and when it comes to airplanes your comments appear to suggest some airlines are opting to use it and some are not.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for your clarifications, sbrody, and welcome to Luchtzak.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

It looks like this Thomas Cook Airlines Belgium A320 OO-TCX has been used by a German airline in a previous life:
Exit sign TCAB A320 OO-TCX
Exit sign TCAB A320 OO-TCX
André
ex Sabena #26567

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

sn26567 wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 18:13 It looks like this Thomas Cook Airlines Belgium A320 OO-TCX has been used by a German airline in a previous life:

P1010381.JPG
OO-TCX was delivered to Condor in 2001 as D-AICI
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

Sai

Post by Sai »

Sai wrote: 18 Jun 2017, 17:29 Boeing 737 NG: classic EXIT sign
Boeing 737 MAX: :?:
Boeing 787: Green Running Man, however I saw a pic of a UA B787 with the classic EXIT sign
Airbus A 350: Green Running Man
Airbus A 320: classic EXIT sign
Bombardier CS 100: Green Running Man
Sukhoi SSJ: classic EXIT sign
Other: :?:
To add some of my observations to the list ;)
Bombardier CS 300: Green Running man
Boeing 737 MAX: classic EXIT sign

Vic Diesel

Post by Vic Diesel »

Overwing exit on Air Koryo's Il-18 (last one worldwide to conduct scheduled pax flights, btw):

Notice the small compartment, obviously storing EMERGENCY ROPE, so that you would not have to JUMP from the wing. And "EMERGENCY EXIT" - maybe just to remind that this small hatch is not really for routinely leaving the aircraft... ;)

And if your eyes are good enough, there is some other detail to spot in the picture as well... ;)
Best regards,
Viktor

(Budapest-born, Vienna-raised, Brussels-based)

Homo Aeroportus

BCS1, HB-JBB, BRU-ZRH last year.
IMG_0779.JPG

Behind this curtain you have access to door 1L on your left, and ...

So I asked the "Maitre de Cabine" if the cockpit was an intended escape route.
She answered "Ja, I have also noticed zis and made a report. I don't sink zis is normal".

;)

H.A.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Homo Aeroportus wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 11:29 So I asked the "Maitre de Cabine" if the cockpit was an intended escape route.
She answered "Ja, I have also noticed zis and made a report. I don't sink zis is normal".

;)

H.A.
hahaha :lol: Quite ambigious indeed