Lufthansa buys the remaining 55% of Brussels Airlines

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Airbus A330

Re: Lufthansa buys the remaining 55% of Brussels Airlines

Post by Airbus A330 »

OO-ITR wrote:still ongoing :)
Thanks, OO-ITR :!: ;)
Let's hope SN will be able to maintain its BRU hub & longhaul network... :angel:

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

Airbus A330 wrote:
OO-ITR wrote:still ongoing :)
Thanks, OO-ITR :!: ;)
Let's hope SN will be able to maintain its BRU hub & longhaul network... :angel:
I don't see why they would not be able to maintain that...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The discussions between the four Belgian negotiators and the representatives of Lufthansa seem to have come to an end. The purchase compromise has been presented to the Belgian shareholders, which have until 13 December to approve it. None of them has refused until now.

Then, on 15 December, the Board of SN Airholding will meet to also approve the negotiated final conditions in order to conclude the purchase of the remaining 55% of Brussels Airlines by Lufthansa. End of the game!
André
ex Sabena #26567

koja78

Post by koja78 »

But what about the contents......

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

koja78 wrote:But what about the contents......
If I may make a guess:

Probably not much of a change in the foreseeable future. Maybe some low yielding routes switched to EW but I guess most will stay the same (for now).

And for the (far) future, there's a time to come and there's a time to go so I wouldn't surprised if Carsten Spohr will be out of LH in the next couple of years and then everything is on the table again. But even in the far future I think SN is here to stay. (even with the EW fetish that seems to go around)

Now the big question is how they are going to renew the (long haul) fleet. Going for brand new planes (which I honestly doubt due to the lack of slot availability) or obtaining younger second hand planes (maybe even as an interim solution towards new planes).

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

There are slots available for A330neo's from mid 2018, and plenty in 2019. ;-)

brabel

Post by brabel »

According to L'Echo and translated by HLN in Dutch, SN keeps the brussels airlines name (for at least 2 years). Also the management will stay the same it says.
Next week, the final decision should be there.

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/942/Economie/a ... ansa.dhtml

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

just like BBL stayed for a few years before becoming ING ;)
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

brabel wrote:According to L'Echo and translated by HLN in Dutch, SN keeps the brussels airlines name (for at least 2 years). Also the management will stay the same it says.
Next week, the final decision should be there.

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/942/Economie/a ... ansa.dhtml
In french with La Libre : http://www.lalibre.be/economie/libre-en ... 48787c4901

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

"For at least 2 years"... This doesn't sound good. :evil:

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

It could be Brussels wings or Brussels swings...

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Or it could be Brussels Airlines by Lufthansa.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Or Eurowings becomes Brussels Airlines that's maybe a good solution....
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Magiktrix

Post by Magiktrix »

You should launch a vote and the winnner get a free sticker :lol:

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

Time enough to get Carsten Spohr out and search a president for LH who sees the potential of SN :D ;)

Flyuli

Post by Flyuli »

it seems that we have two years to say "goodbye Brussels Airlines" ..

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Flyuli wrote:it seems that we have two years to say "goodbye Brussels Airlines" ..
That's indeed one of the first bits of information that leaked from the results of the final discussions between Lufthansa and the SN shareholders. Brussels Airlines will keep its name for at least two years.

Other than that:
- Davignon will remain Chairman and Gustin will remain CEO
- The sales price of the 55% will not increase: it is and remains contractually 2.6 million euros, a bargain!
- As mentioned previously in this thread, the agreement of the shareholders is expected on 15 December.
André
ex Sabena #26567

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Read it like this : Eurowings has two years to establish their brand, if it's a success ... byebye SN , if not byebye Carsten ;)
But SN's future and name isn't in their own hands anymore...
But... for what outcome must we belgians hope, exit SN or bad news for mother SN :roll:

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

sn26567 wrote: - The sales price of the 55% will not increase: it is and remains contractually 2.6 million euros, a bargain!
just a small note:
what the shareholders get paid (in cash) may be something different from what they get out of it in full, which may be something completely different again from what Lufthansa has to pay up to gain full control: we should remember there's a big outstanding loan between the different shareholders involved here too, as well as other debts with third parties which may or may not have been involved.
Unless one knows the detailed accounting behind all of that, it's fairly difficult to judge the fairness of the remaining cash part of the bigger deal.
To illustrate: LH could very well be forgoing on (part of) those €100M in short term loans and/or taking on (part of) the outstanding long term debts of the current holding company with third parties (too) in order to improve their balance sheet and/or allow brussels to get much cheaper financing terms for it based on the better ratings of the new owner and/or the lower debt ratio of the company itself, all of which combined would have value for Brussels Airlines itself and raise the financing cost of the transaction by several tens or even hundreds of millions for the new owner, albeit not paid out in cash on the accounts of the shareholders.
I doubt we will get full transparency on this in the formal announcement: we may have to wait till the annual accounts of all entities are made available to see exactly what was the real deal in full, financially: the cash payment is only the final balancing of it all.
I remember the very same happened at Austrian too, btw: they got bought for far less in cash even.
Last edited by Inquirer on 11 Dec 2016, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Inquirer wrote:just a small note:
what the shareholders get paid (in cash) may be something different from what they get out of it in full, which may be something completely different again from what Lufthansa has to pay up to gain full control: we should remember there's a big outstanding loan between the different shareholders involved here too, as well as other debts with third parties which may or may not have been involved.
Unless you know the detailed accounting behind all of that, it's fairly difficult to judge the fairness of the remaining cash part of the bigger deal.
To illustrate: LH could very well be forgoing on (part of) those €100M in short term loans and/or taking on (part of) the outstanding long term debts of the current holding company with third parties (too) in order to improve their balance sheet and/or allow them to get much cheaper financing for it based on the better ratings of the new owner and/or the lower debt ratio of the company itself, all of which combined would have value for Brussels Airlines itself and raise the financing cost of the transaction by several tens or even hundreds of millions for the new owner, albeit not paid out in cash on the accounts of the shareholders.
I doubt we will get full transparency on this in the formal announcement: we may have to wait till the annual accounts of all entities are made available to see exactly what was the real deal in full, financially: the cash payment is only the final balancing of it all.
I remember the very same happened at Austrian too, btw: they got bought for far less in cash even.
Indeed. Let's not forget that Lufthansa, as the new shareholder, also takes over the financial responsability for the consolidated losses from the past (overgedragen verlies/ perte à reporter): 63,2m for SN Airholding (a bit less for Brussels Airlines: 58,6m).

And by signing for the shares, Lufthansa also takes over the risk that Brussels Airlines has to refund the state support in the pending court case on the Belgian KB/AR from 2014. If the Belgian Raad van State/Conseil d'Etat rules in favour of Ryanair and British Airways, the consolidated loss for Brussels Airlines increases with another 50,4m (16,8m for 2013, 2014 and 2015).