Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

RoMax

Re: BRU infrastructure: future

Post by RoMax »

skumfiduse wrote: Which is what I referred to in my post, albeit formulated in a softer way: [... Eurowings could be happy with this too ...] and [... Lufthansa Group-developments... ] without going into detail about the SN-LH-EW-story, since being discussed elsewhere.
You made the suggestion of 'what could be', the comment on which I replied above implies 'sort of' something else... ;)

Let's stay with the official story as it is quite the truth: nothing has been decided yet, several options are being considered. But given the location, very far away from the new 'point of gravity' of the terminal complex (being the Connector, as the common point of entry towards all airside facilities for all pax) makes that is (at least on the short term) not the most obvious option to go for 'regular terminal ops'. Yet all options remain open as of today.

It might sound a bit weird to start investing in something, while nothing has been decided yet on the short term future use of the building. However it is only logical to retain this iconic element of BRU and not let the state of the building deteriorate further (besides the esthetic value of the building itself and the overall airside view of the airport with modern buildings like Gateway and Passport next to it). Options enough on what to do with it afterwards and still time to decide before the structural renovations are finished (facade and roof being the most important).

Airbus A330

Post by Airbus A330 »

Hello everybody! :)

It seems the US preclearance will already arrive at BRU next Summer! 8-)

http://www.lalibre.be/actu/belgique/des ... 896a69ab6f

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Airbus A330 wrote:Hello everybody! :)

It seems the US preclearance will already arrive at BRU next Summer! 8-)

http://www.lalibre.be/actu/belgique/des ... 896a69ab6f
BAC confirms that the airport is working on US preclearance, but does not want to confirm summer 2017.

In short also in Dutch: http://www.demorgen.be/binnenland/veren ... -bffa1139/

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Microsoft to move into the PassPort building of the airport (the one with KPMG as first tenant)

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/brussel ... s-airport/
PassPort building in the front
PassPort building in the front
Brussels_Airport-Passport_Building.jpg (46.62 KiB) Viewed 6143 times
André
ex Sabena #26567

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

At this moment Brussels Airport (BAC) is preparing its strategic plan for 2040, a major expansion of Brussels Airport can be expected, newspaper ‘Het Nieuwsblad’ reports this morning.

Brussels Airport is preparing its strategic plan for 2040

BRUpilot

Post by BRUpilot »

Following the Tweets of Brussels Airport, the press conference talks about an adapted runway and BRUcargo infrastructure, and 2 additional PIERS! Excited to see more...

Shengenzone

Post by Shengenzone »

first 2040 models appear online.
Attachments
15025427_1227231977320431_4483807294424100922_o.jpg
15025427_1227231977320431_4483807294424100922_o.jpg (402.02 KiB) Viewed 5491 times

Stij

Post by Stij »

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

BRUpilot wrote:Following the Tweets of Brussels Airport, the press conference talks about an adapted runway and BRUcargo infrastructure, and 2 additional PIERS! Excited to see more...
Runway 25L will either get a taxiway going until the threshold (option A) or be extended to the East by 900 m (and the taxiway as well).

Pier A West by 2023 and Pier C (where the former satellite is) by 2030.
André
ex Sabena #26567

BRUpilot

Post by BRUpilot »

In both of those cases, Humelgem will be surrounded by aircraft. Even houses would have to disappear. This will be the main source of complaints imo... but I can't see any other way to be able to let aircraft take off on 25L then to extend the taxiway already exesting, parallel to the runway.

brabel

Post by brabel »

Looks and sounds very nice... Wonder if it will ever be constructed like this, or if the bureaucracy will postpone or ruin it.
Uplace, Neo, Eurostadion, Brussels south train station (by Jean Nouvel) are all postponed or (partly) ruined :)

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

With the press conference behind us, I can now also release some other issues.

* in a very early stage was even an idea to construct a fourth runway, a second 01/19. But very fast this plan
disappeared in the trash. Reason was obvious

* The freedom of the artist in the video is visible. The "gliding train" will not come to the airport. Tramlines from NATO, Heizel, Vilvoorde will connect the airport. Also busses has to drive 24/7 as people work in shifts and has to be able to use public transport.

* How Pier C will look like or being constructed is still vage for the moment. For sure is that the current satellite, now the office building for BAC, will be transformed again for passengers. Probably the satellite will be the center of the new Pier C.

* The tender about Pier A West will be closed somewhere the end of this year. But then the planning application has to be requested. This will take 3 years!! Bureaucracy in Belgium you know. 3 years!!
After this, the construction of Pier A West will take 2 years.

* There is a high demand at this moment for office buildings like Deloitte, KPMG and Microsoft. A third building is taking in option now.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Can anyone explain to poor little me how increasing runway length is going to increase capacity?
:?:

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

jan_olieslagers wrote:Can anyone explain to poor little me how increasing runway length is going to increase capacity?
More suited for A380 operations maybe? And maybe it also helps when a/c takes off from the beginning of the runway in closer succession after a landing a/c that touches down half way and exit's at the end. Or, and that is more logical with turbulence in mind, the landing plane touching down at the beginning of the runway and the departing one entering half way after the landing plane has past. This will make sure the vortex will have less effect on the departing plane as it passes through it when speeding up before take off.

Anyone that can elaborate about the preferred operational option?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

jan_olieslagers wrote:Can anyone explain to poor little me how increasing runway length is going to increase capacity?
It's not the runway length that will increase capacity, it's the fact that the taxiway will go until the threshold of the runway (as it is now, or inn its longer version).

But also there will be less problems at the intersection of 07R and 01 with a longer runway, if and when they are used simultaneously.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

What about a second terminal (T2)? Not much info about that...

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Hi all,

The extension of runway 07R/25L in combination with the extension of the taxiway will allow to use 07R/25L more for outgoing traffic (also the taxiway without runway extension, but less). Now 07R/25L is used only for planes leaving when there are East-winds.

However, in Belgium we have mostly western winds. So having the extra taxiway will allow planes to use this taxiway instead of going on the runway itself (which I have seen occasionally) in order to use 07R/25L. So planes can still land while a plane that will leave is taxiing in the meantime to the end of the runway.

I have always considered this being the only option to really extend the airport capacity. The existing tunel should be extended and as they state in the press some houses would need to disappear. [I could estimate this relatively easily :D ]

When there is good weather I sometimes bike from Leuven to the airport. The last section where there are houses (Municipality of Kortenberg) show some very recent constructions which I found very weird since recent urban development has been so that they were building closer and closer to the airport (I guess because the price of the ground was lower). But of course when the extension would come true, they would be even closer to the airport.

Cheers,
Danny

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

I can see the point of the extension of the taxiway to start making use of that landing runway also for departures, but why does it need to be lengthened??? It seems more than long enough to me???
(it's hardly shorter than the current departing runway if I compare it on Google maps)

If you look at what's in the extension from that runway, it really is the very center of BXL and NATO HQ!
Knowing how strict the noise rules are over BXL, it seems highly improbable that this runway can ever be extensively used for departures, unless they apply the same trick as they do on the runway currently used for departures: i.e have all planes turn away from the BXL region asap.

Maybe that's the real reason they want to extend the landing runway?
By extending it, planes departing from the new beginning have a little bit more time to climb out before they will have to make a sharp left (?) turn to avoid 'no go' BXL, but then they will overfly Flemish towns which have never been affected by airplane noise before!
I doubt that's going to go down very well over there, or indeed in Flanders as a whole, especially knowing that region already takes the full burden from all of the departures from the other runway, and I could understand that: IMHO, it's time BXL finally accepts a fair share of all the noise of its airport by simply allowing planes departing from its airport to overfly its city centre.

shockcooling

Post by shockcooling »

Last edited by sn26567 on 18 Nov 2016, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: youtube formatting