VLM Airlines news 2016

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Xavi

Re: VLM Airlines news 2016

Post by Xavi »

Probably the costs for the WAT route was too expensive, because the LF wasn't that bad.
Now two bases (ANR, FDH) are left,in April they had two more with WAT and RTM. So Costs are probably much lower than couple of months ago. Nevertheless I think they have to improve especially the routes from ANR, particulary ANR - SOU. On the other side I can imagine that they scrap this route as well, but then they would have just one route from ANR left. :-/

There is an interview with the CEO of Airport Friedrichshafen:
http://www.airliners.de/airport-chef-we ... view/38700
The Bodensee-Airport has a crucial role in the future concept of VLM. That is why the Bodensee Airport is in constant communication with VLM to check, what additional flights/ destinations could be offered from Friedrichshafen.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Xavi wrote:Probably the costs for the WAT route was too expensive, because the LF wasn't that bad.
Now two bases (ANR, FDH) are left,in April they had two more with WAT and RTM. So Costs are probably much lower than couple of months ago. Nevertheless I think they have to improve especially the routes from ANR, particulary ANR - SOU. On the other side I can imagine that they scrap this route as well, but then they would have just one route from ANR left.
Agree, but let's not forget they also use Antwerp as operating carrier for CityJet and VizionAir. So it's not too bad news that a routing to/from Antwerp is cancelled.

Antwerp-Southampton : maybe CityJet could take over that route? When VLM Airlines then is "only" the operating aircraft, that would be already good news for their recovery plan. Guarantueed turnover and a profit.

Avnu

Post by Avnu »

Xavi wrote:Probably the costs for the WAT route was too expensive, because the LF wasn't that bad.
Why yes, they did find the costs at WAT and LTN too high. Which is why they stopped paying their bills, pissed people off on both sides of the Irish Sea and made themselves rather unwelcome in some places.

So while I'm sure the closure of the WAT base is part of their recovery plan and can only help them cut down on costs, it's not like they had any other choice left.

Xavi

Post by Xavi »

A forth Fokker will be based at FDH. In the last weeks there were couple of cancellation of flights due to technical problems. With the forth Fokker this problem should be solved.

As well the winter schedule for FDH is available for booking.

http://www.airliners.de/vlm-flughafen-f ... afen/38782

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

VLM Airlines issues a Request for Proposal for sale/leaseback financing, covering th F50s which have not yet been sold and leased back.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

VLM Airlines will file for bankruptcy later today: http://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/luchtvaar ... 0-3085.art

tangolima

Post by tangolima »

Yes, VLM is over :(
All my posted timings are local !

sdbelgium

Post by sdbelgium »

A meeting with the unions was called on Wednesday afternoon, where the bankruptcy is expected to be announced.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Sad news,
although it could pave the way for a debt free relaunch in a much slimmed down version of course.
I must say I am surprised by the speed at which they file, hence my hope the above could be a factor to it.
Otherwise, Belgium just lost its sole regional airlines, and Antwerp its home company.
Provided the link between Antwerp and the City is lucrative, I wonder who might take it over?
Any City based airlines who might feel tempted? Or Brussels airlines' Dash operations?
(let's not consider a Brexit for a minute here!)

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

VLM was only operating ANR-LCY on behalf of Cityjet, so what about Cityjet itself?

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

most probably they'll send their RJ85 to Antwerp to operate it themselves ... the contract between VLM and Cityjet was about to come to an end anyway...
Citybird
The flying dream

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Cityjet has announced that all flights to Antwerp are cancelled. Passengers will be bussed to Rotterdam or Paris Orly.

On the Antwerp Airport website, this is translated to the mysterious "Diverted passengers for CityJet rotate to Aviapartner".
André
ex Sabena #26567

SLM

Post by SLM »

Where Cityjet flights ( between ANR-LCY ) operated by VLM cabin crew and pilots?

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

the ANR-LCY-ANR route was operated by the VLM F50 (like Flybe operates for SN)
Citybird
The flying dream

b720

Post by b720 »

According to CityJet's website, they shall operate the flights between LCY and ANR themselves, as of tomorrow. More details will follow..

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

they'll maybe use their RJ85 or dornier on this route .. we'll see ..
Citybird
The flying dream

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I don't know if it has any relation with today's bankruptcy announcement, but yesterday People's Viennaline cancelled a VLM Fokker 50 wet-lease...
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

It is rumoured that there are two candidates to take over VLM: the well-known Freddy Van Gaever, who founded the airline in 1992, and Luchtzak member Carl Legein, who is one of its main users for his company The Aviation Factory. Both candidates say that the airline can be re-started within 72 hours.

A minimal scenario would be to have a slimmed down airline to carry out charter flights for The Aviation Factory. A more ambitious scenario promoted by Van Gaever would be to link Antwerp with other European harbours: Southampton, Genoa, Hamburg, Rotterdam. Wasn't that a plan that failed recently?
André
ex Sabena #26567

SLM

Post by SLM »

What about Vizion Air fokkers 50? (oo-vlp and oo-vlf)?

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

I doubt that a quick relaunch is possible at all.
If FVG's plan is to link the main European seaports, it's going to be very tough.
Aviation Factory, I wish you guys good luck, but you guys would be better off making an offer on
a couple of the F50's, parts and tooling. Any more than that and you'd need some serious capital or a wetlease agreement with an airline like SN before you throw yourself into operating a whole fleet.

It's baffling that SN haven't even taken a look at VG.

Ow and whoever criticised me for warning against mr. White's reckless 'management' decisions, I told you so.