17/06/2016 Swissport industrial action (baggage - cleaning)

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Freken

17/06/2016 Swissport industrial action (baggage - cleaning)

Post by Freken »

Bagage handling at BRU is limited due to an industrial action at Swissport. They are currently negotiating with the management.

As Arnaud Feist already said, trop is te veel. :roll:

Jetter

Re: Strikes affecting Belgian airports in 2016

Post by Jetter »

Of course... Aviapartner had their strike, so it's only fair Swissport staff gets their turn to keep things in balance. :roll:

The number of strikes at BRU is getting insane. Why don't people just want to do the job that they're payed for? They want to in most of the civilized world (well, except France).

b720

Post by b720 »

Yes, I have friends stuck at the airport, waiting in line to process their "lost in strike"luggage papers..
amid total disinterest and no help whatsoever.. They landed at 08:50 and it is almost noon.. Way to go BRU!
I told them to avoid BRU, they didn't listen, and now they are convinced.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Swissport normally handles Thomas Cook flights. All TCAB flights departed this morning after being handled by TCAB staff. The same is foreseen for the afternoon flights, but Thomas Cook asks its customers to travel light!.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Kris

Post by Kris »

b720 wrote:Yes, I have friends stuck at the airport, waiting in line to process their "lost in strike"luggage papers..
amid total disinterest and no help whatsoever.. They landed at 08:50 and it is almost noon.. Way to go BRU!
I told them to avoid BRU, they didn't listen, and now they are convinced.

I flew on 6 june first time from BRU after the 22/03 events. Had 6 flawless flights from DUS.
on 6 june, on SN2259 3 hours delay to CPH, they left us 1 hour in a very hot plane at the gate without offering any drinks whatsoever. Return flight also 1 hour delayed.
I have 1 remainig flight booked out of BRU on Oct 21 with IB to Johannesburg. This will be my last one. I will avaoid an airport where you're not sure if and when you can depart. Or can only fly with handluggage.
Belgium is for sure not a "failed state", bit I'm more and more afraid that we are evolving into a "failed airport"

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Kris wrote:Belgium is for sure not a "failed state", bit I'm more and more afraid that we are evolving into a "failed airport"
Failed state? Failed airport? I think we can reduce it further more, to "failed trade unions".

Kris

Post by Kris »

Passenger wrote:
Kris wrote:Belgium is for sure not a "failed state", bit I'm more and more afraid that we are evolving into a "failed airport"
Failed state? Failed airport? I think we can reduce it further more, to "failed trade unions".
That's for sure. But in the eyes of passengers, we're talking again about Brussels Airport, they don't care who's fault it is.
I hope we all can see that there is a some kind of problem at BRU right now: useless pre-terminal checks, power-failures, all these strikes, not able to pick up passengers without paying parking fees, walking around in a warzone-like environment, etc...
I really hope that these issues will be resolved in the coming months and that the general perception can improve again.

sean1982

Re: 17/06/2016 Swissport industrial action (baggage - cleaning)

Post by sean1982 »

FR crew was unloading the luggage themselves. :roll:
Ridiculous unions

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

André
ex Sabena #26567

evyncke

Post by evyncke »

After many flights from DUS (easy parking, easy control, ... but not too many destinations and about 10-15 minutes more driving -- at 160 km/h or more :-)), I just returned for the first time to BRU last week. Lost 10 + 5 minutes for stupid/useless security checks and on the return my LH flight was delayed inbound due to this strike (LH preferred to remove the luggages from the cargo and ship them by truck :-O)...

I was able to get the German & English comments in the plane, not good!

JAF737

Post by JAF737 »

evyncke wrote:After many flights from DUS (easy parking, easy control, ... but not too many destinations and about 10-15 minutes more driving -- at 160 km/h or more :-)), I just returned for the first time to BRU last week. Lost 10 + 5 minutes for stupid/useless security checks and on the return my LH flight was delayed inbound due to this strike (LH preferred to remove the luggages from the cargo and ship them by truck :-O)...

I was able to get the German & English comments in the plane, not good!
Yeah... and the Germans never strike, huh?
Lufthansa never does either... huh?

:roll:

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

JAF737 wrote:Yeah... and the Germans never strike, huh?
At least those were announced. And then not all strike are equal. There were also strikes in AMS last month, for a whole 10 and 30 minutes! And announced in advance. The strikes at BRU stand out because of the number of different staff involved, their frequency and gross disregard to the interests of travelers. :(

evyncke

Post by evyncke »

JAF737 wrote:[

I never wrote that LH (pilots especially) never strike, but, in BRU this is the norm nowadays :-(

JAF737

Post by JAF737 »

evyncke wrote:
JAF737 wrote:[

I never wrote that LH (pilots especially) never strike, but, in BRU this is the norm nowadays :-(
Well I just can't wait for the day you'll decide to drive to Madrid to avoid loosing 15 minutes out of BRU.
Drama queen is a kind word, actually.

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

JAF737 wrote:Well I just can't wait for the day you'll decide to drive to Madrid to avoid loosing 15 minutes out of BRU.
Drama queen is a kind word, actually.
You can try to be funny, but all these strikes aren't funny at all. They are very annoying for passengers and they don't do the already tarnished reputation of BRU any good.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Terrorists have shown that aiming at an airport can inflict heavy damage to the economy of a country with a minimal expense. And now e lot of people have understood the message, from baggage handlers to cabin cleaning people to air traffic controllers and even police unions. They have realised that striking at an airport is the best way to cause a permanent damage to the reputation of the airport and a heavy loss to the economy, and they know that their management will do the utmost to avert such strikes.

This is a poor mentality, because it pushes some people to look elsewhere for more security at airports in neighbouring countries, as we have seen in this thread and in the thread on the reopening of BRU after the attacks. And then the same striking workers will complain that they have lost their jobs in a deserted airport...

As BRU CEO Arnaud Feist has repeatedly said these last weeks, trop is te veel. All the airport community should try to use their neurones and look a little further than their immediate profits.
André
ex Sabena #26567

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

sn26567 wrote:Terrorists have shown that aiming at an airport can inflict have damage to the economy of a country with a minimal expense. And now e lot of people have understood the message, from baggage handlers to cabin cleaning people to air traffic controllers and even police unions. They have realised that striking at an airport is the best way to cause a permanent damage to the reputation of the airport and a heavy loss to the economy, and they know that their management will do the utmost to avert such strikes.

This is a poor mentality, because it pushes some people to look elsewhere for more security at airports in neighbouring countries, as we have seen in this thread and in the thread on the reopening of BRU after the attacks. And then the same striking workers will complain that they have lost their jobs in a deserted airport...

As BRU CEO Arnaud Feist has repeatedly said these last weeks, trop is te veel. All the airport community should try to use their neurones and look a little further than their immediate profits.
Believe us, we do. But despite a lot of promises about better materials and more well trained staff, little has changed the last years. If anything, the handling companies are trying to make a profit on the workers backs.

Is now a good time to strike? No, not at all. Is it ever? But it is now that the pressure is on its highest. We also want to give the right service to our customers. Because, even though we are just paid to do the work, a lot of airport staff will see you just like that, THEIR customer.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

flightlover wrote:If anything, the handling companies are trying to make a profit on the workers backs.
Here is what's wrong with the unions lover's twisted reality. Since when has that not been the case?? Does a company not NEED to make money in order to pay your wage? You can ALWAYS argue that they make money on the back of the workers as it is the workers labour that gives the company money which in turn allows it to pay your wage. No company in the world exists purely out of love for humanity :roll:

HQ_BRU_Lover

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

Any news on when the bags who were left behind at BRU will be sent to their owners? I have friends waiting for their bags at Gran Canaria since Friday (HQ-flight: no they didn't got their bags as stated here wrongly).

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

sean1982 wrote:
flightlover wrote:If anything, the handling companies are trying to make a profit on the workers backs.
Here is what's wrong with the unions lover's twisted reality. Since when has that not been the case?? Does a company not NEED to make money in order to pay your wage? You can ALWAYS argue that they make money on the back of the workers as it is the workers labour that gives the company money which in turn allows it to pay your wage. No company in the world exists purely out of love for humanity :roll:
Sorry, but there is a difference between making a profit and making a profit on workers backs. It is all about how the workers are treated. There is nothing wrong with making a profit while providing decent materials and workable conditions.