Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

lumumba

Re: Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by lumumba »

I don't fly from BRU anymore my travel agent now that all the office is avoiding Brussels.
But everybody is ok to arrive in Brussels.
So my next flight I fly from Rotterdam to Munich where I take my Long haul flight with Lufhansa but I fly back true Brussels because that's easy.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

thalenoi

Post by thalenoi »

Well I will arrive Saturday around 14.00, will have 2 big almost empty bags, btw I am not that young anymore to shuffle with bags...

Considered taking bus 830, but read yesterday that as of today 25th April I would need to take any bus at pier B to KORENVELD (wherever that is) and switch to 830 there ( in the cold and rain coming from 40C here), my bags have wheels, but still...

OK taxi, 40 euro estimate, why not?
Just note I bought an air ticket Udon Thani-Bangkok return for 33,33 euros....2x600 kms.

Last option, ask friend for pickup, parking P2 10 minutes free, where, how, what floor, is there a pickup area? I just could pay the parking ticket, read at Sheraton ticketing machine, arrivals level?

Leaving 29 May, if departing hall not reopened might consider leaving from CDG.

any advise welcome,

eurojet

Post by eurojet »

Here at our shop all business travel from and to BRU is stopped as well, and I can ensure we are heavy users. I fully understand BRU supporters, but let's be honest, even prior to 22/3 BRU was not a popular airport amongst the travel community and the travel experience "end to end" from BRU is just bad. I just cannot get it BRU doesn't take the opportunity to start somewhere from a blank sheet .. But hey, "small country small minds". And stop blaming politics and trade unions, since it is us all who give power to those people.

b720

Post by b720 »

we've been avoiding BRU as well, shifted to AMS and M&More to flying blue. Works for us, and from ANR when possible (GVA area). I think that we'll stick to AMS even after the re-opening of BRU departure if the triple security checks require one to be 2 -3 hours ahead of departure time at the airport. Very sad for SN, they are the real victims here.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

eurojet wrote:Here at our shop all business travel from and to BRU is stopped as well, and I can ensure we are heavy users. I fully understand BRU supporters, but let's be honest, even prior to 22/3 BRU was not a popular airport amongst the travel community and the travel experience "end to end" from BRU is just bad. I just cannot get it BRU doesn't take the opportunity to start somewhere from a blank sheet .. But hey, "small country small minds". And stop blaming politics and trade unions, since it is us all who give power to those people.
I'm not agree with that before 22 of March,BRU was a very easy and convenient airport ...
Ok Schiphol is easier today but not in the past.

Schiphol is very crowdy and noisy compare to Brussels etc...

Let's hope they stop there stupid security check.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Metro station "Brussels Maalbeek" also re-opened this morning.

Another step into full recovery.

Pocahontas

Post by Pocahontas »

Can everybody who claims never to fly out of BRU anymore, be so honnest and admit when they'll take a flight again from BRU. I am just curious if everything goes smoother again to see if you'll all continue to take AMS etc... Hoping for some honnesty here :-)

Stij

Post by Stij »

Pocahontas wrote:Can everybody who claims never to fly out of BRU anymore, be so honnest and admit when they'll take a flight again from BRU. I am just curious if everything goes smoother again to see if you'll all continue to take AMS etc... Hoping for some honnesty here :-)
100% correct!

Once it stabilizes, and yet another Thalys is delayed or yet another major traffic jam around Antwerp, Breda or Rotterdam and we'll all be back.

But it should be business as usual again first...

Cheers,

Stij

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I would even go one step further. Why are you exporting our jobs to Holland, France or Germany? Our economy has been severely hit by the attacks and we need to restore it ASAP. If Belgians don't help themselves, who will?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

At work we fly from BRU again, too.
Not because it's such a convenience, but going to AMS or CDG makes you lose at least 2 hours as well.
What we are doing less so than before are day returns: we now try to avoid those, either through Telco or grouping business together, so we definitely fly less.
BRU better puts pressure on politics to get rid of the inefficient pre-terminal security checks.
In all respect for the people working at the airport and being scared of a repeat attack: bombs have exploded at both the airport terminal as well as a subway station in BXL; why on earth at the first there is now a very strict pre-entry security screening, while there isn't any security screening done at the second, goes beyond me. Is it because for some unknown reason a similar event really can not happen ever again in the subway system rhen.... or because there are is no demands from worried and strong police unions for it?

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

I do t understand neither why people 'escape' to AMS and CDG. What is the common sense of going to these busy airports using as much (or more) time than queuing in BRU (for the time being).
What we need right now is people supporting our airport and not fleeding it due to this (temporary) check in problem.

Just my two cents!

Tompompier

Post by Tompompier »

Flying Scout wrote:I won't stop using BRU. Coming month 5 flights originating or arriving in BRU.
That's the spirit! Welcome @ Brussels Airport!

Tompompier

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

OO-ITR wrote:I do t understand neither why people 'escape' to AMS and CDG. What is the common sense of going to these busy airports using as much (or more) time than queuing in BRU (for the time being).
What we need right now is people supporting our airport and not fleeding it due to this (temporary) check in problem.

Just my two cents!
I will explain at least for us.

We don't have direct long haul flights from Brussels .
Maybe Luanda but the day's SN fly out is not covinient.
So normally we fly from Brussels to Frankfurt,Munich or Zurich etc..
And from there to or final destination .
Today it's easyer to go with the train to Schiphol or CDG and from there to the final destination if you live in Brussels.
I have colleagues that live in Genk they fly from Düsseldorf for the moment etc...

b720

Post by b720 »

no one wants to fly in and out of an air force base.
And most importantly, one never knows how much in advance one needs to be at the airport.
Plus the tent and the ridiculous police and security checks ..
It is not the terrorists that crippled BRU or the economy, as most people from here and abroad showed solidarity .. it is the reaction to those attacks that has driven people and business away, and shall continue to do so.
Why, are we supposed to feel safe in large train stations, shopping malls, cinemas, shopping streets?
We shall continue avoiding BRU (and our incoming clients) until things return back to normal, if they don't we shall have to get used to KLM and AMS.
On a personal level, older family members have cancelled or postponed their holidays.. They are scared of the mile they'll need to walk with their luggage to reach the tent, and the tower they need to climb to reach the connector.

Tompompier

Post by Tompompier »

That 'tower' they need to climb to reach the connector is 2, yes TWO levels! Please, don't exaggerate! Yes, it's a longer walk, yes, it's uncomfortable, no it's not a normal situation.

If you all can do better: please, come and offer your services.

And yes: my opinion about the pre check in, the security controls before entering the airport by the federal police is the same: it's ridiculous.

convair

Post by convair »

Tompompier wrote: And yes: my opinion about the pre check in, the security controls before entering the airport by the federal police is the same: it's ridiculous.
The police unions (who apparently decide i.s.o. their "bosses") seem to be the only ones who don't know that!

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Tompompier wrote:That 'tower' they need to climb to reach the connector is 2, yes TWO levels! Please, don't exaggerate! Yes, it's a longer walk, yes, it's uncomfortable, no it's not a normal situation.

If you all can do better: please, come and offer your services.

And yes: my opinion about the pre check in, the security controls before entering the airport by the federal police is the same: it's ridiculous.
Hi Tompompier
I'm totally agree with you.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Just wondering: do those people, apparently now avoiding BRU because of the problems at the check-in, only fly one-way? Or do they also need to return to Belgium?

And if they have to return to Belgium: how are the train connections from CDG to Belgium nowadays? Isn't the last Thalys from CDG to Brussels (Midi/Zuid) leaving Paris around 21h? How much margin do they take between arrival of te flight and departure of the Thalys? And how long will it take before they are really at home?

And if they land in AMS: the last Thalys from Schiphol to Belgium leaves at 20h30. The last direct IC train leaves at 21h00. But then, those people going through AMS will probably all arrive before 19h and their flight will never ever be too late. So they don't have to worry about being stranded at AMS.

Magiktrix

Post by Magiktrix »

The most ridiculous is the police car sitting before the bridge 24/7 with 2 guys on board.
That police car is equipped to scan car plate, very nice idea.
But if the car is not stolen, flagged as the car of a known djihadist or if you take a taxi like on 22/03, its useless.
And if you are a little smart, its possible to go to the terminal, with any kind of vehicle, without passing in front of that police car, its totally useless.
2 men x 3 shifts for nothing. :roll:

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Magiktrix wrote:The most ridiculous is the police car sitting before the bridge 24/7 with 2 guys on board.
That police car is equipped to scan car plate, very nice idea.
But if the car is not stolen, flagged as the car of a known djihadist or if you take a taxi like on 22/03, its useless.
And if you are a little smart, its possible to go to the terminal, with any kind of vehicle, without passing in front of that police car, its totally useless.
2 men x 3 shifts for nothing. :roll:
Belgium at its best :roll:
I access the terminal every day, yet my car has never even been checked cause I drive around the controls :mrgreen: