Combat planes over Brussels for 75th anniversary of Battle of Britain

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips from the Belgian airports

Moderator: Plane spotting team

jan_olieslagers

Combat planes over Brussels for 75th anniversary of Battle of Britain

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Today Monday 21 sept., 16:15 locql: two combat jets flying over Brussels centre, not too low, not too fast, east to west.

What brought them here? A late departure from Sanicole / Kleine Brogel, perhaps?

Homo Aeroportus

Re: Combat planes over Brussels?

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

You're fast Jan !
;)

My attention was attracted by the noise (music) but I had only a split second viewing so not sure but they looked like F-16s.
Heading about 300° above central Brussels indeed.
Low, say 1000-2000 ft but not fast. A bit like the 21st July parade.
??

H.A.

Homo Aeroportus

Got it !

Rehearsal for the 75th commemoration of the Battle of Britain that will take place in Brussels this Wednesday 23rd.

See : http://www.mil.be/fr/communiques-presse ... angleterre

and http://www.mil.be/nl/persberichten/75st ... le-britain

Aircraft of the Air Component will participate.
Any closure of airspace around Brussels then?

H.A.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

I checked the NOTAMs, nothing found as yet. Closest I came was both EBBE and EBFS announcing extended operational hours, which might be related. But NOTAMs tend to come late and that is not necessarily a bad thing, it adds to their reliability, "kort op de bal spelen" as the Dutch say.

PS to me they didn't look like F16's either, but I had only a brief glimpse, and I am not an authority on combat planes anyway.

Hue

Post by Hue »

Good job H.A.

Civil traffic at Brussels Zaventem will very briefly be halted for military fighters fly by Wednesday. Heads up near Atomium and Jubelpark/Parc du Cinquantenaire.

b-west

Post by b-west »

I saw them going over the Grote Markt. They did look like F-16 to me. What a delicious sound they made :) Stopped all conversations for a while.

sergioboeing

Post by sergioboeing »

Hue wrote:Good job H.A.

Civil traffic at Brussels Zaventem will very briefly be halted for military fighters fly by Wednesday. Heads up near Atomium and Jubelpark/Parc du Cinquantenaire.

Do you know when exactly? I work near the Cinquantenaire so it could be a good opportunity to catch these birds ;)
Best regards,
Sergioboeing

EBBU

Post by EBBU »

Offenberg square near the Atomium has a BoB memorial...
It's rumoured that the overflight there will be a couple of F16's and a spitfire.
In the evening the belgian branch of the RAF association is hosting a 'night at the museum' diner at the air museum. Overflight there is rumoured to be 4 F16's and the 4 Red Devil Marchetti's.

Mind, this info has not been confirmed.

Homo Aeroportus

EBBU wrote:Offenberg square near the Atomium has a BoB memorial...
It's rumoured that the overflight there will be a couple of F16's and a spitfire.
In the evening the belgian branch of the RAF association is hosting a 'night at the museum' diner at the air museum. Overflight there is rumoured to be 4 F16's and the 4 Red Devil Marchetti's.

Mind, this info has not been confirmed.

Thanks EBBU.

There will be indeed a ceremony at the Heyzel as from 16:30lt and the flypast would be F-16s, no Spit mentioned on this web site though :(
http://www.belgianaviationnews.be/2015/ ... saire.html

In the evening the "Night at the Museum" starts at 19:00lt and a flypast is also mentioned so I guess about 19:00 and 19:30.
http://www.rafabelgianbranch.com/

Look up and open your ears for the music of a Merlin :D

H.A.

Hue

Post by Hue »

sergioboeing wrote: Do you know when exactly? I work near the Cinquantenaire so it could be a good opportunity to catch these birds ;)
The Cinquantenaire will only be in the evening. After 1930 LT.
4 F16 & 4 Marchetti's probably, very low altitude.