Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

CTBke

Re: Replacement of Brussels Airlines' Boeing & Avro RJ fleet

Post by CTBke »

they're gonna lease some 100 seaters from the LH group .. unless the CR9 or E-jet can't land at BMA they'll stay .. don't worry ;)
Citybird
The flying dream

convair

Post by convair »

On an other thread of this forum, someone mentioned the arrival at BRU yesterday of OO-SNG the latest addition to SN's fleet of A320s. Does somebody know when it will enter in operation?

With the arrival of an ERJ145 for the summer season (leased from bmi as mentioned by André), things are starting to move at last for SN's s-m/h fleet.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

if we do a little summary...

Summer 2013, SN had:

5 A330-300
3 A330-200
5 A320
14 A319
12 RJ100
5 Dash Q400

Summer 2014, SN will have:

5 A330-300
3 A330-200
6 A320
16 A319
10 RJ100
1 RJ85
5 Dash Q400
1 ERJ145

Quite a big expansion for the fleet this year...

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

I believe not all 5 Q400's will stay, but I have no recent information about that.

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

This is how it will be :

ARJ85: 1
ARJ100: 12

A332: 3
A333: 5
A320: 6
A319: 16

VO/DH4:1
BE/DH4:2
BD/ERJ:1
Best regards,

Airbuske

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

But where is the logic to remove a Q400 to take an ERJ145 from another company? It woulb be better to keep one of the Q400 wich is supose to leave SN and to base it in Bristol to do the 3 daily rotation instead of leasing anothe type of aircraft from another airlines wich make the thing more complicated and costly.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Wait as second SN finally decide the remove 2 Q400 instead of 2 avro? In this case this is to me a good news as we see that SN will be more independent. But why do they take an ERJ145!

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

The E145 is probably a better fit for the Bristol route and as it's a wet lease it doesn't really matter if it's another type. SN probably got a good deal from BMI (which is finding some ways to keep some of their Embraers flying as they have some overcapacity) while an extension of a part of the FlyBe deal (the first two aircraft) may not have been in SN's favour (too expensive, too much capacity for a route like Bristol,...?).

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

crew1990 wrote:Wait as second SN finally decide the remove 2 Q400 instead of 2 avro? In this case this is to me a good news as we see that SN will be more independent. But why do they take an ERJ145!
I think that the 2 Avro's will be kicked out of the fleet at the end of the summer. So I don't think that it's 2 Q400's instead of Avro's.

I suspect that the extension of the Q400 leases was too expensive and the ERJ145 lease was too good to let go.
BMI stopped several ERJ routes, among them the ANR-MAN routes, hence need to (wet)lease the aircraft quick and cheap.

(and I see romax already posted that just now)

SN1203

Post by SN1203 »

crew1990 wrote:Wait as second SN finally decide the remove 2 Q400 instead of 2 avro? In this case this is to me a good news as we see that SN will be more independent. But why do they take an ERJ145!
I think the reduction of 2 Avro's always was a misperception in the press...

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

To swap some Avro for some 319/320 ok, bus SN removing all of them without any other alternative for regional aircraft, I dont believe it. Some airport can t be operated with an airbus like Stockolhm Broma. And some other destination canot be operated with such big birds, Bristol is the the proof, even a Q400 cant do it.

So SN will have some how to think about a new type of aircraft with less than 100 seat. Or even create another company like Brussels Airlines Regional like Sabena did with DAT, TAP with Portugalia, Iberia with Air Nostrum and so on.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

crew1990 wrote:To swap some Avro for some 319/320 ok, bus SN removing all of them without any other alternative for regional aircraft, I dont believe it. Some airport can t be operated with an airbus like Stockolhm Broma. And some other destination canot be operated with such big birds, Bristol is the the proof, even a Q400 cant do it.

So SN will have some how to think about a new type of aircraft with less than 100 seat.
It hasn't been said by SN itself, but some members on this forum said SN will lease 4(?) regional jets with about 100 seats from within the LH Group and it was also said they'll continue to wetlease a small amount of even smaller aircraft (Q400/E145?).
If there is no need for let's say 7-10 aircraft with less than 100 seats, there is no sense in keeping a seperate subfleet of them within the fleet, except for wet lease aircraft.
crew1990 wrote:Or even create another company like Brussels Airlines Regional like Sabena did with DAT, TAP with Portugalia, Iberia with Air Nostrum and so on.
In the case of SN that's no solution/alternative. SN was build on the remainings of DAT and in the latest 2 years they have been saving a lot on staff and overhead costs. I don't think they can save any more with a seperate operator which could do it for even less. It could even result in higher total 'group' costs to seperate a part of the already small SN operations.

FlightMate

Post by FlightMate »

Maybe the LH group could setup a new low cost company, to operate ad hoc wet leases within the group, when required. And why not operate a wide body as replacement aircraft, when one is broken somewhere.
They could create synergies, adding value for daughter companies operating within the group, instead of taking the good bits and leaving the bad to SN.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Flanker2 wrote:BMI stopped several ERJ routes, among them the ANR-MAN routes, hence need to (wet)lease the aircraft quick and cheap.
What would a wetleased ERJ cost on a monthly basis?

Anybody an idea if they will also paint it in B.air colours? I think it would be nice to see one! :)

convair

Post by convair »

SN might need to wetlease it for longer than the summer season to have it painted in its colours.

SN's plan for the summer is no good news for FlyBe; they just returned 2 DH4 to their lessor (skyliner)!

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

OO-SNG arrived in BRU and after being painted, it will join the fleet in March.

source: https://www.facebook.com/brusselsairlin ... =1&theater

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

About the pending paint jobs:

1- so the bmi Embraer is just for the summer then? Or is it staying after that too?
If it stays for a longer while, it may be worth painting it over, although I know it's probably difficult to always guarantee the same plane. I've seen Q400s in flyBe colours operating from BRU several times too, for the same reason.

2- are they going to paint their latest A320 in regular company colours, or maybe STAR Alliance colours?

theeuropean

Post by theeuropean »

I asked on Brussels Airlines on their fb page under the photo of their new airbus if there will be any longhaul planes coming in. No decision has been taken yet was the response.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

I had a question regarding the fleet of SN, does SN fully own some of the aircraft or are them all in lease?

If I understood well, the OO-LTM and the OO-DWC belong to SN, does there is any other aircraft?

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

crew1990 wrote:I had a question regarding the fleet of SN, does SN fully own some of the aircraft or are them all in lease?

If I understood well, the OO-LTM and the OO-DWC belong to SN, does there is any other aircraft?
All planes are leased, while LTM may be considered "owned" by SN it's actually also leased, though not from a well known leasing company like ILFC for example but from a Belgian bank. Don't know about DWC, think that one is leased also as are all other planes. The only planes they truly owned were the BAE146's but think those are all gone (the last ones were sold to Neptune Aviation).