Vueling expansion at BRU

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Boeing767copilot

Vueling expansion at BRU

Post by Boeing767copilot »

According TM Aviation Newsletter Vueling will announce next Wednesday big expansion plans at BRU.
Anybody with news about routes and frequencies?

woutertheboy

Re: Vueling expansion BRU

Post by woutertheboy »

Boeing767copilot wrote:According TM Aviation Newsletter Vueling will announce next wednesday big expansion plans at BRU.
Anybody with news about routes and frequensies?
My suggestions: Ibiza, Mallorca, Sevilla and maybe Galicia or La Corûna. Nothing confirmed yet, but these destinations have a good chance, although it is my opinion ;)
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

They already have bases across Europe from where they are operating key routes mainly to/from Spain and other capitals, but they are rather small.

A base in BRU makes sense, the question is how big are they going to play?
Are they going to do it the U2 way with 1 or 2 aircraft operating in stealth mode with low frequencies, or are they going to go all-in with more than 3 aircraft, in a bid to take-over significant market-share from SN and FR in CRL, to become a major player?

If the initiative comes from Vueling and the idea is to expand the BRU-Spain link and add a few extra routes here and there, we can't really call it big news or a big expansion. If the initiative comes from IAG, I could see this as an attempt by BA and IB to crush SN, with the interest of taking over BRU but also Africa.
The size of the base will give us a clear indication of which of both it will be.

As a passenger, I wouldn't mind paying a little more to depart from BRU with Vueling iso FR from CRL, as long as it's more or less a dozen euro's more compared to CRL and similar frequencies and choice of destinations is offered.

To be followed.

cnc

Post by cnc »

a little more... they are as expensive as SN

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

I was actually thinking about Rome as new destination with a W operation it would be possible. There is no direct concurence yet with low cost company so it would make sense. And my bet in spain would be Palma de Mallorca.

By the way who is speacking about a base, they can add some destination without having a base there?!

Established02

Post by Established02 »

crew1990 wrote:I was actually thinking about Rome as new destination with a W operation it would be possible. There is no direct concurence yet with low cost company so it would make sense.
Vueling is already flying FCO-ORY and FCO-NTE, therefore FCO-BRU could be an option indeed.

theeuropean

Post by theeuropean »

I just went on Vueling's website when you get selection from BRU it says direct flights to, while it mentions other destinations with a stopover in Barcelona:

Alicante
Asturias/Oviedo
Barcelona
Bilbao
Casablanca
Florence
Galicia
Grand Canary
Ibiza
Lisbon
Madrid
Majorca
Málaga
Porto
Rome
Santiago-de-Compostela
Sévilla
Valencia

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

I was actually thinking about Rome as new destination with a W operation it would be possible. There is no direct concurence yet with low cost company so it would make sense. And my bet in spain would be Palma de Mallorca.

By the way who is speacking about a base, they can add some destination without having a base there?!
FCO would be a good route, but you're saying that there is no direct LCC competition, which I don't think is correct as you have Ryanair in CRL.
Real life example: I have a flight booked for December for a business trip to Viterbo (North of Rome). I don't want to waste money and time on hotel nights, so I booked a same-day return.
1 checked luggage for my products, day-use car rental (unlimited kilometers) and same-day return with super convenient schedule for that: 80 euro's paid with credit card.
Oh I keep an open mind and I did check with SN and AZ: minimum 300 euro's, just as I expected :roll: . I didn't check the connecting market because it's a same-day return, there is no time for transfers and it's unlikely that I would find an equally good proposition.

If Vueling can offer the same out of BRU, which will help me avoid the car trip to CRL and the inconvenience of parking, I would pay up to 120 euro's. If not, I keep flying FR.
So yes, if Vueling comes, they have competition from FR in the LCC class.

But Vueling will probably be more interested in SN and other major airlines' clientèle to start with...

Base or no base? We don't know, but if it's a "BIG" expansion, it better be a base or at least 6-7 new routes with decent frequencies, otherwise it's a storm in a tea cup.

Established02

Post by Established02 »

Boeing767copilot wrote:According TM Aviation Newsletter
Forte expansion de Vueling à Brussels Airport

La compagnie low cost espagnole Vueling prévoit une forte expansion de son réseau à Bruxelles dès l'été prochain. La compagnie propose actuellement déjà des vols depuis Bruxelles à destination de Barcelone, Malaga, Valence et Alicante. Selon nos informations, elle ajouterait plusieurs nouvelles destinations dans la péninsule ibérique et ses îles tout en augmentant ses fréquences sur certaines lignes actuelles. Les détails ne seront divulgués que mercredi lors d'une conférence de presse organisée à Brussels Airport en présence du ceo et président de Vueling Alex Cruz. (4-11-2013)

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

But Vueling will probably be more interested in SN and other major airlines' clientèle to start with...
you said it all.
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

7 new routes ex BRU : Rome, Lisbon, Porto, Ibiza, Santiago, Palma, Venice :!:
This will hurt SN, AZ, TP , HQ and JAF !
Best regards,

Airbuske

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Auch !!!
I tought Norwegian would be the one to hurt SN, but this is a massive bomb on SN !
Guess we won't expect Norwegian soon,maybe OSL but thats all..
Altough... Airone left the market soon after starting Venice...
OPO with Ryanair in CRL,double daily and with Portugalia...
Even more FCO connections... very hard competition and with no connections,guess Vueling has to fight FR Ciampamino more then SN/AZ FCO..
But it will hurt, for sure...

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

airbuske wrote:This will hurt SN, AZ, TP , HQ and JAF !
It remains to be seen at what prices and with which frequencies they will propose the new routes. I'm not sure that the cost structure of Vueling is much lower than that of SN or TP (forget AZ), let alone HQ or JAF. And if the frequency is low, SN, TP and AZ will come out of the battle unharmed!
André
ex Sabena #26567

SabenaForever

Post by SabenaForever »

airbuske wrote:7 new routes ex BRU : Rome, Lissabon, Porto, Ibiza, Santiago, Palma, Venetië :!:
Good job Brussels Airport!! This will hurt SN, TP and AZ for sure, but i think that the main reason is to attract more passengers from CRL and EIN! BRU want's a piece of that back...

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

I shall say: welcome Vueling!

According to the below article in Dutch, 1 aircraft will be based in BRU starting from May.

Cathay, I think that for the Rome route it will hurt SN more than FR, with or without connections. I don't think that the corporates or the premium customers will be the problem, I think that the problem will be on the customers who compare before booking. AZ will be hurt too, but given that AZ can count on unlimited financial resources and has a much wider network, the effect won't be as big.
And finally, it will also hurt FR, as customers will continuously compare the fares between them and Vueling, forcing FR to stay rock-bottom.

However, how much it hurts and which category of yields they can secure most depends on what frequencies they can offer. Low frequency, ie 1x or 2x daily, will only attract low yield pax, whilst 3 daily can force SN to downgrade to RJ100 (another vulnerability of the high volume strategy).

But VCE is also quite significant for SN, as is LIS and OPO.
Worse even, Vueling is going to increase frequencies on its existing routes between BRU and Spain.

This will also keep pressure on FR's fares and continuous expansion, which is good for the passengers.
It won't hurt FR that much as FR will just mitigate the problem by beating Vueling on fares (and taxes), so that the bookings for 2 or more people will have a significant enough difference.

The low-yield passenger wins, hurray!

http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20131106_00826361
De Spaanse luchtvaartmaatschappij Vueling trekt volgende zomer haar verbindingen vanuit Brussels Airport op van vier naar elf. Er komen extra verbindingen met Spaanse steden, maar ook met Portugal en Italië. Dat heeft Vueling-CEO Alex Cruz woensdag aangekondigd op een persconferentie in de luchthaven.
Vueling vliegt al bijna tien jaar vanop Brussels Airport naar Barcelona en Valencia, en vorig jaar kwamen daar Malaga en Alicante bij. Nu gaat de maatschappij, behorend tot dezelfde groep als British Airways en Iberia, nog een stap verder met zeven extra verbindingen en vanaf mei een vliegtuig gestationeerd op Zaventem.

De nieuwe bestemmingen zijn Santiago de Compostela, Ibiza en Mallorca in Spanje, Rome en Venetië in Italië en Porto en Lissabon in Portugal. Ook de capaciteit op de bestaande lijnen wordt opgedreven.

Volgens Arnaud Feist, CEO van Brussels Airport, zal de uitbreiding van Vueling “honderden” extra jobs opleveren. Nu al is de aanwezigheid van Vueling in Brussel goed voor 400 jobs.
Last edited by Flanker2 on 06 Nov 2013, 14:34, edited 2 times in total.

woutertheboy

Post by woutertheboy »

Well, I'm a bit proud of it I started a little "fight" between VY and SN :D. I think they are a bit pissed of right now :lol:

When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

Stij

Post by Stij »

I think the frequency will be an important factor before one can say SN is in trouble: only when a daily evening rotation is offered, they will start feeling it on LIS, VCE and FCO...

Is there already some info about the frequencies?

Cheers,

Stij

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

airbuske wrote:7 new routes ex BRU : Rome, Lisbon, Porto, Ibiza, Santiago, Palma, Venice :!:
André
ex Sabena #26567

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Timetable
Barcelona
Brussels – Barcelona 9:35 (daily) 15:40 (daily), 18:10 (Monday, Thursday and Friday) and 21:20 (daily except Saturdays)
Barcelona – Brussels 6:55 (daily) 12:50 (daily), 15:30 (Monday, Thursday and Friday) and 18:35 (daily except Saturdays)

Valencia
Brussels – Valencia 15:40 (Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday)
Valencia – Brussels 12:35 (Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday)

Malaga
Brussels – Málaga 10:20 (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday)
Málaga – Brussels 7:00 (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday)

Alicante
Brussels – Alicante 15:20 (Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday) and 12:15 (Thursday)
Alicante – Brussels 12:15 (Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday) and 15:20 (Thursday)

Rome-Fiumicino
Brussels – Roma 21:20 (daily)
Roma – Brussels 18:10 (daily)
*Fares starting at 39,99 euro one way, including taxes and service charges

Lisbon
Brussels – Lisboa 17:45 (daily)
Lisboa – Brussels 20:10 (daily)

Porto
Brussels – Barcelona 11:45 (Monday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday)
Barcelona – Brussels 13:50 (Monday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday)
In July and August (Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday)

Venice
Brussels – Venecia 6:55 (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday)
Venecia – Brussels 9:25 (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday)
As from July: daily service, same schedule

Santiago de Compostela
(May to September)
Brussels – Santiago 11:45 (Tuesday and Saturday) and 12:05 (Thursday)
Santiago – Brussels 14:40 (Tuesday and Saturday) and 9:10 (Thursday)
(Peak)
Brussels – Santiago 11:45 (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday)
Santiago – Brussels 14:40 (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday)
*Fares starting at 44,99 euro one way, including taxes and service charges

Ibiza
(May to September)
Brussels – Ibiza 11:45 (Wednesday) and 15:45 (Saturday)
Ibiza – Brussels 14:45 (Wednesday) and 12:50 (Saturday)

(July and August)
Brussels – Ibiza 21:25 (Wednesday, Friday, Sunday) and 15:30 (Saturday)
Ibiza – Brussels 18:30 (Wednesday, Friday, Sunday) and 12:35 (Saturday)

Palma de Mallorca
(May to September)
Brussels – Palma de Mallorca 6:10 (Wednesday and Saturday)
Palma de Mallorca – Brussels 8:50 (Wednesday and Saturday)

(July and August)
Brussels – Palma de Mallorca 14:40 (Wednesday, Friday) and 9:50 (Saturday)
Palma de Mallorca – Brussels 11:50 (Wednesday, Friday) and 7:00 (Saturday)
*Fares starting at 44,99 euro one way, including taxes and service charges

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

So all destinations range from 2 per week (lower season) to daily, except BCN which will go from 21 per week to 24 per week (3-4 daily). Most ranging from 4 to 7 per week.