Brussels Airlines' second US destination

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

OO-ITR

Re: Brussels Airlines' second US destination

Post by OO-ITR »

Looks like the people in IAD were very happy with the arrival of SN...

ExSabena

Post by ExSabena »

No ! I really mean UA 951 operated by UNITED !!! ;-) ... and he was in First Class !!!!!!

b720

Post by b720 »

Maybe he wanted to be there upon arrival of the first SN flight.

ExSabena

Post by ExSabena »

No ...really sorry ... because he departed 1 hour before the arrival of the inaugural flight from IAD ;-)

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

ExSabena wrote:No ! I really mean UA 951 operated by UNITED !!! ;-) ... and he was in First Class !!!!!!
I know it was a United plane and flight but with Atlantic++ you have to see it different. Traffic operated by Atlantic++ partners between BRU (or elsewhere since A++ is actually a TATL agreement and thus covers other airports also) and numerous airports in North America must been seen as an Atlantic++ operated flight, not a flight by United, Air Canada, Lufthansa, Brussels Airlines, etc... but a plane operated by Atlantic++

Within A++ all costs and profits are equally shared between it's partners, so yes, it "may" be a United flight but it doesn't matter since costs and benefits are shared between the joint-venture partners which includes Brussels Airlines.

Ok, as the CEO of SN he could have travelled with SN515 but he probably would have had a good reason to take another flight, most likely due scheduling problems or so. But as for profits sake (however, I'm pretty sure he was a non-rev passenger) you may rest assure that SN will get it's part of the cake (if he would have paid for the ticket, since he's probably non-rev'ed it doesn't matter at all).

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

As what I have heard he had to be at a corporate event organised by SN on tuesday evening, togheter with the Belgian travel trade in Brussels Airport. But it is still... :?

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Some more pictures from the IAD site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/racingwind ... 218342339/

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

now that the second US destination is started maybe it's the right time to open a new topic with the Brussels Airlines's next LH destination? :-)
Citybird
The flying dream

SFM

Post by SFM »

CTBke wrote:now that the second US destination is started maybe it's the right time to open a new topic with the Brussels Airlines's next LH destination? :-)
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50487
the poll: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=50534

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

oeps my fault sorry
Citybird
The flying dream

Wim fan

Post by Wim fan »

My experience on SN516 IAD->BRU 20/06 A330-300

LF almost 100% in Y, could not judge C.
Food is superior to US based airliner.
Superb IFE. Maybe the announcements could also be transmitted through the headphones in addition to the overall loudspeakers?

Boarding process was rather chaotic, somehow everybody coming from other flight needed new boarding pass for the SN flight?

I connected in IAD, so don't know a bout check-in process there.

Happy to have flown SN.

Boeing767copilot

On 20/8 C completely full as well, and a A330-300 in stead of -200, so more seats.
And for the next days the same LF with much more pax on IAD-BRU than on the BRU-IAD.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

I just saw this video:
http://vimeo.com/69165649
Is this the making of of an upcomming (kind of) commercial, or just for pictures or was it already launched and did I miss something?

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

RoMax wrote:I just saw this video:
http://vimeo.com/69165649
Is this the making of of an upcomming (kind of) commercial, or just for pictures or was it already launched and did I miss something?
It's a video about the making of a brand awareness campaign for Brussels Airlines and its expanding transatlantic operations to Washington DC, mainly aimed at the US based A++ frequent travellers...

You can see the final campaign here, btw: http://vimeo.com/68683656

enjoy!

crlhub

Post by crlhub »

About YUL,let's not forget that RAM is quiet strong on the route YUL/AFI (via casa):

http://www.royalairmaroc.be/Marchand/Ca ... &villes=12

Air Algérie has also some good stuff available on yul/afi.

http://www.airalgerie.dz/routemap.jsp?lang=

And Tunisair should follow in 2014.

RJ,QR also players.

http://qatar.innosked.com/%28S%28twoi0i ... lang_id=FR

Mainly East Afi for QR.

http://www.rj.com/en/home/routeMap

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Interesting article about the cargo between BRU and IAD. Excellent job!!

http://www.aircargoweek.com/news/Washin ... _4946.html

Source: aircargoweek of today 09/08

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

Nice find.
Noting that SN was initially overly optimistic about its service to New York, he says the airline could not have begun either route if it had not been part of the Lufthansa Group. "After we began, we had a bit of a shock because the rates on the route were so low." He adds the New York route has not got much better in the past 12 months: "They're still deteriorating and you see that in the yields – sometimes 60 or 70 cents a kilo, it is ridiculous.
I'm having a "I told you so" moment. SN definitely flew into this whole JFK thing with their pink glasses on, both for cargo and pax. Sure you can always fill it, but you'll be selling it cheap and you will have extra overhead costs to cover. That's what I said like 2 years before they started JFK...
IAD's evening flight could be interesting, time will tell.

So when I say BOS is not realistic with A333's, I mean it.
BOS is a changed market, it's no longer the BOS of the Sabena days. In those days only 2 or 3 European carriers flew to BOS. Now everyone and their mother fly to BOS. I'm not so sure about ORD either, maybe as an evening flight.
But do that when you have spare capacity, right now the market is Asia-Africa. Yes you are aware that TK and eK are on to that market, when are you going to start to do something about it? Right now SN has good coverage of Africa and TK and EK are playing catch-up. They can try it out with an A332 and if the numbers are there, switch to A343.

You have the cargo both ways. Westbound finished products, Eastbound fish and fruits.
You have the pax both ways.
Same for Japan (Japan now has a huge demand for imported fish, due to the Fukushima saga).

What are you waiting for? Just do it damn it.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Flanker2 wrote: I'm having a "I told you so" moment. SN definitely flew into this whole JFK thing with their pink glasses on, both for cargo and pax. Sure you can always fill it, but you'll be selling it cheap and you will have extra overhead costs to cover. That's what I said like 2 years before they started JFK...
IAD's evening flight could be interesting, time will tell.
He's talking about cargo only in that article, the main objective of the JFK route was not cargo, it would simply be a nice extra if the yields would be good. Yields are difficult on the pax side as well, but talking about cargo it's a disaster. A lot of competition from full freighter operations and other pax operators and a very difficult cargo market between Europe and North-America. Did it even suprise anyone that JFK is doing bad when talking about cargo yields?!

This can not be said of all long haul routes, but when talking about JFK, cargo is far from being a main goal. Same with IAD btw, but as that route has less competition, they can generate better yields on that cargo.

About BOS, who says they have to do it with A333? When you look at SN's old A333's, their A332's probably can do the job as well when talking about cargo and it fits the pax needs better. And no BOS is not the BOS Sabena knew, but what you saw with IAD (a lot of high yield business traffic travelling through FRA, LHR,... because of the lack of an evening flight) can also be seen with BOS. Lots and lots of people travel through LHR and FRA to reach BOS. SN will not be able to get them all to BRU (lack of frequency that BA for example can offer), but enough to fill an A332 (let's say 5/week). BOS-BRU is still a bigger market than many BRU-Asia markets and these see quite some competition as well.

Boeing767copilot

Due the lack of pax BruAir has to cancel several IAD-flights this and next month. Anybody with more details or dates of cancelations? :( :(

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Boeing767copilot wrote:Due the lack of pax BruAir has to cancel several IAD-flights this and next month. Anybody with more details or dates of cancelations? :( :(
http://airlineroute.net/2013/07/23/sn-jfkiad-w13/
Are you talking about extra reductions or just the planned reduction to 4/week for the winter season. Not that strange with the daily flight of United. 11/week is still not bad for a route which has been daily for years (and you have to see it as one, not as two independant airlines operating the route).