Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

CTBke

Re: Replacement of SN's Avro RJ and B737 fleet

Post by CTBke »

also back to the lessor ...
Citybird
The flying dream

convair

Post by convair »

Someone posted under another topic that 1 RJ85, 1 733 and 1 734 were still in the fleet ( that is also mentioned in the SN magazines). I see on Flightradar that DJP and DJX are still flying for SN though.

Also, does someone know the situation with the 2 ex-Frontier A319s SSA and SSB that have not joined the fleet yet? They arrived more than 2 months ago at SNN, supposedly to get painted(according to Skyliner). Are they being hand-painted? Is there a new Magritte in the making?

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

Normally OO-SSA will start with commercial flights at the end of November when OO-VEN will leave the fleet.
Best regards,

Airbuske

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

and what about SSB? and the 8th A330?
Citybird
The flying dream

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Bottie wrote:Anyone an idea where VES will be going to?
VES left to the USA via Keflavik, Iceland this morning.

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

is going to MIA and converted into freighter
Citybird
The flying dream

Bottie

Post by Bottie »

CTBke wrote:and what about SSB? and the 8th A330?
SSB is 'ready':

http://www.airteamimages.com/airbus-a31 ... 64066.html

Airbus A330

Post by Airbus A330 »

I ask this little question here for not opening a topic just for it. ;)

Will Brussels Airlines paint other aircraft in Star Alliance livery?

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Tought all *A partners needed to paint ONE of each type of aircraft in staralliance livery,
so we need an A330 and an avro and a dash no?
No need for me as I don't like it that much... prefer logo jets as the valleta,the eco swiss and so on,..
Maybe a tommorrowland dreamlivery ? Like the sabena rock werchter...

Heard rumours that Korongo will remove the Bae146 out of their fleet already,.. OO-MJE is here and locked up..
Anybody real news about these ones...

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

cathay belgium wrote:Hi,

Tought all *A partners needed to paint ONE of each type of aircraft in staralliance livery,
No need for me as I don't like it that much... prefer logo jets as the valleta,the eco swiss and so on,..
Maybe a tommorrowland dreamlivery ? Like the sabena rock werchter...
I believe it's a certain percentage of the fleet, and not even all airlines follow these rules.
cathay belgium wrote: Heard rumours that Korongo will remove the Bae146 out of their fleet already,.. OO-MJE is here and locked up..
Anybody real news about these ones...

CXB
Wasn't that discussed some time ago in a different (Korongo) topic? Not sure tough, but I believe it was said OO-MJE is here for heavy maintenance (as this can't be done in Africa).

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

MR_Boeing wrote:
cathay belgium wrote:Tought all *A partners needed to paint ONE of each type of aircraft in staralliance livery,
I believe it's a certain percentage of the fleet, and not even all airlines follow these rules.
It's indeed set as a percentage, but it's not an absolute must to stick to it: SN is definitely below the percentage so it would be great if they'd painted their next A330 in STAR livery, but currently there are no such plans.
cathay belgium wrote: Heard rumours that Korongo will remove the Bae146 out of their fleet already,.. OO-MJE is here and locked up. Anybody real news about these ones...
Korongo does no longer have any routes to operate their 2 BAe146 on because MJM is now BCAA approved for night ops (i.e. no more need for a quad on the FIH-FBM route at night), so their only other purpose in the near future will be as a backup for their single 737. As such, MJE which came to BRU for MX will not go back to FBM because there's obviously no need for a second backup plane to the single 737.
It's likely MJE will not return at all even: much will depend on when Korongo may start KWZ from the BCAA and if they do get another 737 for future capacity increases because that plane would then also serve as parttime backup to the other one, but it looks like the 2 BAe146 may have served most of their limited purpose in the start up phase of Korongo already.

Flanker

Post by Flanker »

Korongo does no longer have any routes to operate their 2 BAe146 on because MJM is now BCAA approved for night ops (i.e. no more need for a quad on the FIH-FBM route at night), so their only purpose in the near future will be as a backup for their single 737.
As such, MJE which came to BRU for MX will not go back to FBM because there's obviously no need for a second backup plane to a single 737.
It's likely it MJE not return at all even: much will depend on when they can start KWZ and if they do get another 737 for future capacity increases because that would then also serve as parttime backup to the other one, but it looks like the 2 BAe146 served most of their limited purpose in the start up phase of Korongo already.
Well, it was quite an investment for a "limited purpose".
I don't get it. With all the cheap Avro's that were coming off lease, they had to go for the 146's that were left to rotten for years and had almost everything replaced?

Isn't the runway at MJM too short to operate the B733's on, given the high temperature? What's the payload hit? It must be quite significant, 2-3 tons?

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Flanker wrote:quite an investment for a "limited purpose".
Don't forget the 2 BAe146 (as well as the 737, btw) are fully owned by SN, so they are by far the cheapest planes to operate initially: lessors/insurers all ask for a very significant risk premium on top of their usual rates for one of their planes to be sent over to a tricky place like the RDC, especially if the airline's operations aren't established yet and they can thus not evaluate the complete risk very well, so the investment to ready these planes was recovered after just a few months already through much lower operating costs than in case of a lease.
Flanker wrote:Isn't the runway at MJM too short to operate the B733's on, given the high temperature? What's the payload hit? It must be quite significant, 2-3 tons?
MJM is suitable to accept a 737 (even after dark) without any meaningful limitations in Korongo's operations now that it has seen its infrastructure being upgraded in order to allow the airline to finally serve the city.

PS: I have unblacklisted you for this topic, but if you start to insult and namecall me or are questioning the existance of the light again by making impossible suggestions, you go back to the blacklist because i really do not intend to waste any more time and effort on it.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

It is to be hoped that one of the BAe 146 will be sent to the Air Museum, to be shown alongside the Sabena Caravelle.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

Airbus A330

Post by Airbus A330 »

tolipanebas wrote:
MR_Boeing wrote:
cathay belgium wrote:Tought all *A partners needed to paint ONE of each type of aircraft in staralliance livery,
It's indeed set as a percentage, but it's not an absolute must to stick to it: SN is definitely below the percentage so it would be great if they'd painted their next A330 in STAR livery, but currently there are no such plans.
Thank you all for your answers. ;)

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

OO-SSA was ferried from the UK to BRU today; it will soon become SN's 13th A319.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

tolipanebas wrote:OO-SSA will soon become SN's 13th A319.
Quite a achievement, since the initial three (SSG SSK and SSM if my memory serves me well).
André
ex Sabena #26567

convair

Post by convair »

I thought SSA would never make it ;) : it's been sitting in SNN for 3 months (Skyliner showed its arrival there mid-August).
Meanwhile DJZ was returned (to lesser I presume) to EGBP (Kemble) on Nov 13. It looks like the end for it. :(

Konus

Post by Konus »

When will OO-SSA go operational: after the entirement of OO-VEN ?

When will OO-SSB arrive in BRU ?

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

SSB is on it's way too ... probably by the end of the month both planes will be in service
Citybird
The flying dream