Jet Airways cancels BRU-JFK from September 2012!

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

SabenaForever

Jet Airways cancels BRU-JFK from September 2012!

Post by SabenaForever »

As per 03JUN12 GDS timetable and inventory display, Jet Airways starting 10SEP12 is cancelling Brussels – New York JFK service, currently operated by Airbus A330-200 aircraft. Reservations for travel on/after this date is now closed.

Existing schedule:

9W226 BRU1005 – 1215JFK 332 D
9W225 JFK1820 – 0750+1BRU 332 D

source: Airline route
Last edited by SabenaForever on 03 Jun 2012, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.

SabenaForever

Re: Jet Airways cancels BRU-JFK from September 2012!

Post by SabenaForever »

SabenaForever wrote:As per 03JUN12 GDS timetable and inventory display, Jet Airways starting 11SEP12 is cancelling Brussels – New York JFK service, currently operated by Airbus A330-200 aircraft. Reservations for travel on/after this date is now closed.

Existing schedule:

9W226 BRU1005 – 1215JFK 332 D
9W225 JFK1820 – 0750+1BRU 332 D

source: Airline route
I didn't see this one coming... I think they will codeshare with SN on this route! And it makes a plane available for and eventually restart of the Bangelore route...

Maybe the BRU-EWR will be 777 all week... Isn't Jet receiving there 777 from Thai end of this year?

134flyer

Post by 134flyer »

Well, apparently 9W has gotten traffic rights starting this winter schedule for BRU-ORD/SFO/IAD (as well as FRA, MUC & CDG). So let the speculation begin...

http://www.business-standard.com/india/ ... ad/474815/

WC_EEND

Post by WC_EEND »

SFO seems most likely, ORD and IAD are already served by UA, and the for the IT sector in India, SFO also seems like the logical choice (then again, isn't SFO doable with a direct flight from India?).
As for the cancelling of BRU-JFK-BRU, I can't say I'm very surprised, I do expect to see them codesharing with SN on the SN flights though.

Edit: Cancelled from 10Sep onwards according to airlineroute's twitter:
Correction: Jet Airways Cancels Brussels - New York JFK from 10SEP12, not 11th.
source: https://twitter.com/airlineroute/status ... 8569347073

Flanker

Post by Flanker »

SFO seems most likely, ORD and IAD are already served by UA, and the for the IT sector in India, SFO also seems like the logical choice (then again, isn't SFO doable with a direct flight from India?).
As for the cancelling of BRU-JFK-BRU, I can't say I'm very surprised, I do expect to see them codesharing with SN on the SN flights though.
Unlikely.
Would 9W finally explore a full cooperation with SN? I doubt it.
They will probably funnel their pax on their EWR flights, upgrade to A333's on order or even B77W (at least in the summer).

BOM-SFO is doable with a B77L or even with a B77W.
The A332 can't do it.
To fill a triple 7, they may need the scissor hub to receive extra pax from DEL.

SFO and ORD are markets that SN has been exploring.

This only goes to show how saturated the transatlantic is from BRU.

I doubt that 9W has much O&D out of BRU. The little O&D they will lose on JFK will just be spread over their EWR flight and the other airlines.
They will lose the customers who used to book through SN, to SN, but that's probably not a big loss as SN advertised those flights at xx% more than directly with 9W, so the bookings were probably fairly limited.

LJ

Post by LJ »

WC_EEND wrote:SFO seems most likely,
But very challenging from a schedule point of view (if you want to take advantage of the BRU scissor hub). A BRU-SFO-BRU trip will take around 24 hours on an A330-200. A 777 can do the trip in approx. 23 hours, but still a 10:00 departure would result in the aircraft coming back at around 09:20. An A330-200 will probably be back at 10:00, which means moving the current departures of the Indian bound aircraft by at least half an hour. It's doable but close.
Flanker wrote:BOM-SFO is doable with a B77L or even with a B77W.
Only the 77L can do it (which 9W doesn't have) The maximum range for 77W is 500 less than the needed 8,400 miles. However economically probably not viable (as most of the ULH flights).

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

LJ wrote:
WC_EEND wrote:SFO seems most likely,
But very challenging from a schedule point of view (if you want to take advantage of the BRU scissor hub). A BRU-SFO-BRU trip will take around 24 hours on an A330-200. A 777 can do the trip in approx. 23 hours, but still a 10:00 departure would result in the aircraft coming back at around 09:20. An A330-200 will probably be back at 10:00, which means moving the current departures of the Indian bound aircraft by at least half an hour. It's doable but close.
Besides, India-BRU-SFO is a very long flight, maybe too long?

Flanker

Post by Flanker »

LJ wrote: Flanker wrote:BOM-SFO is doable with a B77L or even with a B77W.

Only the 77L can do it (which 9W doesn't have) The maximum range for 77W is 500 less than the needed 8,400 miles. However economically probably not viable (as most of the ULH flights).
The B77W can do it too. Check your range, Gimli Glider skipper.

WC_EEND

Post by WC_EEND »

The 77W can indeed do it, but with payload restrictions on both sectors (much like EK's 77W doing the DXB-LAX-DXB rotation) therefore hurting operational exonomics. Which leads to, as LJ said, that it probably won't be economically viable.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Well, didn't B.air say that by entering the BRU-JFK market, they were aiming at pushing out at least one other airlines? This sure didn't take long!

I admit I had expected the first victim to be American, but then Jet Airways has the comfort of being able to consolidate its New York offering in their Newark route, so they can probably cut the JFK route much quicker and without too much network problems?

Also, something nobody mentioned yet, but Jet Airways are codesharing with American on their BRU-JFK route, so the 2 might first have spoken eachother to see who'd best drop their flight, with Jet Airways being the obvious outcome.

I think that Jet Airways will route as much as possible its Indian passengers onto their remaining Newark flight, and load those who absolutely want to JFK on American's flight from BRU.

The Origin and Destination market from BRU will however be more problematic, as it will have to be covered through Newark in future. Doable for those who don't care which airport they fly to, yet those who don't want to change airport in New York will simply be taken by others, with a good chance of Bru.air taking the biggest part of it IMHO, given current Jet Airways customers on BRU-JFK clearly didn't like to fly any of the American Airlines in the past for whatever reason or they would be doing so already, probably because they're terminating in New York anyway and thus don't have any real reason to fly on AA or DL in the first place?

Anybody an idea of how big the upload of passengers by Jet Airways is in BRU for JFK?
I've used them in the past and they always seemed to be checking in quite a lot of people (I'd say about 150 to 200 people a day), although its hard to say who's going where of course given they check in all of their destinations at the same counters. It seems likely they are easily taking onboard 30 pax on their BRU-JFK a day however.

A wild guess of mine would be they only manage to convince half of them to use their EWR service instead, while the other half will be lost to competitors, mostly Brussels Airlines: that means they could easily win a minimum of 10 pax from this, or a structural increase in seat occupancy of at least 4% for them, which is not to be neglected.

sdbelgium

Post by sdbelgium »

For the moment flights are still bookable through their website and Amadeus?

WC_EEND

Post by WC_EEND »

yup, still bookable for October 2012 using their website.

SabenaForever

Post by SabenaForever »

WC_EEND wrote:yup, still bookable for October 2012 using their website.
Strange yesterday i tried a booking in September and the flights where visible but all the fares where 'sold out', and now its bookable again... So they are changing there minds? :?

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Still bookable true my travel agent till december!
Regards
Patrice
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Is here actually any formal confirmation, or did this source simply came to the conclusion after seeing booking classed at zero? Could just as well have been a technical problem at Jet Airways too, you know?
Interesting to follow for sure.
Just for my information: how reliable is airline route as a source?
Wouldn't be surprised to see them consolidate at new york, but given the partnership with American it might make more sense to drop Newark, wouldn't it?

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

Would have never thought that Jet Airways would drop a route. Like some on here, my guess would have been American.
From what I know, is that Airline Route is quiet a reliable source...

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Since I find it very weird to first learn the BRU-JFK route is closed for booking and then re-opened again soon after, I've been doing some research: Jet Airways has already built itself a trackrecord of first closing bookings for a route by total surprise, only to temporarily re-open them thereafter for some time, after which the route appears to be axed indeed.

Here's an example: http://airlineroute.net/2012/05/17/9w-bombah-jul12cxld

It will be interesting to watch if indeed the BRU-JFK route follows the same path as the BOM-BAH flight...

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

Maybe the financial problems make part of this issue? Following a conversation on PPRuNe, it seems that Jet Airways is terminating a large number of expat flight crew contracts....

jimyvr

Post by jimyvr »

Inquirer wrote:Is here actually any formal confirmation, or did this source simply came to the conclusion after seeing booking classed at zero? Could just as well have been a technical problem at Jet Airways too, you know?
Interesting to follow for sure.
Just for my information: how reliable is airline route as a source?
Wouldn't be surprised to see them consolidate at new york, but given the partnership with American it might make more sense to drop Newark, wouldn't it?
When inventory is displaying Zero for all class of service, 95% chances indicates the route is being cancelled. Even though BRU JFK is open for reservation for now, but for Economy Class, only full fare (Y/M) is available to book. Discounted fares (T / U / N / L /Q / S /K / H) remains closed. Another sign of this route is still likely to be cut.

Jet Airways is not the first and only (and definitely not last) airline making u-turns for these type of stuff. Malaysia Airlines in October 2011 did the same thing, closes reservations for those routes to be chopped, then re-opened it for a month, and then closes everything altogether again.

Everything appears on Airline Route is based on reservation system.

Flanker

Post by Flanker »

WC_EEND wrote:The 77W can indeed do it, but with payload restrictions on both sectors (much like EK's 77W doing the DXB-LAX-DXB rotation) therefore hurting operational exonomics. Which leads to, as LJ said, that it probably won't be economically viable.
Barely any payload restrictions. Without exceptional winds and direct routing with 5% extra and ETOPS reserves, no payload restriction at all. Otherwise 2-5 tons.