Top 15 most misleading airport names (article HLN.be)

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

luchtzak

Top 15 most misleading airport names (article HLN.be)

Post by luchtzak »

After this article published on HLN.be: http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/1901/reisnieuw ... vens.dhtml

Is there a direct connection between Disney and Paris Disney airport ? I guess that link is called the space mountain! 8-)

1. Parijs (Vatry-Disney) 159 km
2. Frankfurt (Hahn) 126 km
3. Oslo (Torp) 118 km
4. Munich West (Memmingen) 117 km
5. Barcelona (Reus) 107 km
6. Stockholm (Skavsta) 106 km
7. Stockholm (Västeras) 104 km
8. London (Oxford) 97 km
9. Barcelona (Girona) 91 km
10. Parijs (Beauvais) 88 km
11. Düsseldorf (Weeze) 84 km
12. Hamburg (Lübeck) 79 km
13. Basel (Freiburg-Mulhouse) 69 km
14. Oslo (Rygge) 67 km
15. Brussels South (Charleroi) 63 km

flightlover

Re: Top 15 most misleading airport names (article HLN.be)

Post by flightlover »

Maybe there should be a law against it.

Stij

Post by Stij »

flightlover wrote:Maybe there should be a law against it.
I think there're enough laws. If people haven't understood yet that there're some catches flying certain low cost carriers, they'll never understand.

I must admit, one of these carriers plays the game a bit unfair... as... so often:

Here's there airport information about CRL:
"Brussels South Charleroi Airport is located approximately 8 km from the centre of Charleroi and 46 Km from the centre of Brussels. A bus connects the airport to the trainstation. There are rail connections to the rest of Belgium. Please check http://www.charleroi-airport.com for further information."

The 46km is about the distance form the Grote Markt / Grand Place to Charleroi Airport. Of course it's not the distance you drive, that would be 64km, but still a fair and correct distance.

And here about Vatry
"Paris-Vatry Airport is located 20 km outside Châlons-en-Champagne. A bus connection called 'Vatry Bus - Vatry Shuttle' is available from the airport to Reims, Châlons-en-Champagne and Disneyland Paris. At Disneyland Paris you will be able to reach a number of hotels directly or connect via Chessy Rail Station. From the Chessy Rail Station you can reach Paris down town via the RER rail network. Bus tickets for all destination can be purchased online http://www.paris-vatry.com or in the passenger terminal. Rental cars are available via Hertz. "

They're not lying... but some (key) data is missing, isn't it...

That's so typical for this carrier... they never lie, they just don't tell the complete story...

Now let's check the airport information of a Belgian Carrier that also claimes to fly to Paris...

"De luchthaven Paris-Vatry bevindt zich in de Champagnestreek, ongeveer 150km van Parijs"

Fair enough I would say...

So, my message flying a certain foreign carrier? Fly them, but beware, check, double check, triple check... everything... airports, luggage, hand luggage, boarding passes, check-in times, ipad+headphones+a good movie... Don't give them any excuse, or you get s*rv*c*d from b*h*nd. Moderators, if this is across the line, feel free to edit...

Cheers,

Stij

EDIT: Some typo's
Last edited by Stij on 03 May 2012, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.

EBAW

Post by EBAW »

And what about Zürich Kloten?:-)

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

46km is nothing ...
JFK is also 30km away from central park

But in the case of hahn, it's a bit too much indeed ;)

Reg E S Potter

Post by Reg E S Potter »

"London Oxford", the airport that's actually closer to the centre of Birmingham than to Hyde Park Corner
Just read this on another list and that Irish airline don't even fly there!

Out of interest the other London airports except H'row (24km) are a way out

London - Luton 51km
London - Gatwick 53km
London - Southend 72km

None of those are R's doing been named variously over the past 40 years

Reg

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

And Ryanair's Milano Bergamo is not farther away from downtown than Brussels' Milano Malpensa...

Airwave

Post by Airwave »

I would't like to have to feed the poor passengers arriving in time for their departure at the "wrong" but real Brussels Airport.... In fact, you can find them desperately looking for a train or a bus that brings them to Charleroi .

From personal experience : hard to explain that the flight they booked leaves in "Brussels South" but they have to take the train to Charleroi, especially when stress of their mistake takes the overhand and they are not fluent in one of our regular spoken languages....

Airwave

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

BTW, what is this (Mulhouse-Freiburg) airport that is 69km away from Basel?

From downtown Basel, you could walk to an airport called "Basel-Mulhouse", LFSB.

There is indeed an airport im Freiburg that is some 68 km from Basel according to viamichelin.com but what airline would land there with a 1200-m runway (and even less LDA due to displaced threshold).
:?

Another reliable source of information I guess?

H.A.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

It calls itself "EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg" :
http://www.euroairport.com/EN/accueil.php

azingrew

Post by azingrew »

The "EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg" , although in France, is only 6KM from Basel, 20 from Mulhouse and 65 from Freiburg. There is however a general aviation airport in Freiburg ( City flugplatz, the one Homo ..! is talking about). That was quite simply a mistake by the HLN journalist.

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

No, I think they mean that "Basel Mulhouse Freiburg" airport is 70 km from Freiburg. Interesting to see that Basel has 3 IATA codes: BSL , EAP, and MLH. Airport is in France, with a border road direct to Switzerland.

Unique? Yes, but other airports are unique too. There are some with the runway crossing the border, some have railways crossing the runway, or roads... the list is long and off-topic ;) (I can make one if you want).

Paris Vatry is ehh... a bit far away from Paris,yes, but no airline advertise that no? They talk about Champagne and Disney.

Qamdo Bamda Airport (highest in the world?) serves Qamdo city. Almost 2.5 hours by car. Not misleading, but far away!

- edit - Pirineus-Andorra airport ( ;) ) is only 12 km to the border, so not misleading. Pyrenees Air Lines is comming soon, I will keep you informed.

Stij

Post by Stij »

airazurxtror wrote:And Ryanair's Milano Bergamo is not farther away from downtown than Brussels' Milano Malpensa...
You took the wrong example as Bru Air flies to Linate as well and that one is very close to the city centre.
Rome would have been a better example... the only one...

Cheers,

Stij

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

Rome would have been a better example... the only one...
Another example would be Ryanair flying to Gothenburg City, whereas Brussels Airlines fly to Gothenburg International...

WC_EEND

Post by WC_EEND »

EBAW wrote:And what about Zürich Kloten?:-)
I see what you did there :lol: