Swiss Transferring Cameroon Service to Brussels Airlines

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

OO-ITR

Re: Swiss Transferring Cameroon Service to Brussels Airlines

Post by OO-ITR »

Air Key West wrote:Hi Flanker ! CAN was initially OO-ITR's idea (in another thread). So, he deserves the credit, if some members on the forum consider it to be a good suggestion. ;)
Thanks ;)

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Only normal :)
Back to Africa.
Is b.air's "withdrawal" from ACC not just a rumor ? I had a look at SN's website and Timetable for the summer of 2012, and they show 4 flights a week.
In favor of quality air travel.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Air Key West wrote:Only normal :)
Back to Africa.
Is b.air's "withdrawal" from ACC not just a rumor ? I had a look at SN's website and Timetable for the summer of 2012, and they show 4 flights a week.
ACC is indeed just a rumor as far as I know, and indeed nothing official yet as it is still loaded in the GDS. That's also why I also used "if..." . But it would seem logical. Of the 4 new African routes started in 2010, ACC is the only one wich is not performing so good. At the time SN started ACC flights, also Virgin did this, UA started flights to ACC and some others increased capacity...this proved to be a bit too much. And the result was that also LH started to perform less good on the route. Only one airline in the group operating the route is much more logicall (just as DLA/NSI), and LH would be better suited for that.

Related to the timetable...this is 100% not the final one for S12 and we know SN, this can take a long time before we know the final timetable.

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

OK. But I presume that ACC flights are coupled to another destination (triangular flights). If ACC is not doing very well, is the other destination compensating for a weak load factor to ACC ? Perhaps the whole triangular flight is doing fine. What do you think ?
I can to some extent follow your reasoning on the ACC/LBV SN/LH swap. But if b.air were to fly to LBV instead of ACC, don't forget that LBV is located much more to the south and it might be difficult to continue the triangular flights as performed with ACC. Do you think LBV could be operated as a return nonstop flight ? Or should it be coupled to another destination (a quick look at the map suggests Malabo, if trafic rights are available of course). How do you see things if b.air were to fly to LBV instead of ACC ?
In favor of quality air travel.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

If I remember correctly ACC is combined with ROB at this moment. Don't know how ROB performs, but if ACC is not working out that good (I do not say it is performing really bad either), it makes no sense to keep operating it. For me it's clear ACC should be operated by one airline in the LH Group and in my opinion LH is better suited for that.
LBV is indeed located more to the south. I don't see it operated non-stop without tag-on as this is not really something for SN, maybe in the future when they have enough long haul aircraft, but not to start with. I don't know immediatly a destination to be combined with LBV. But SN did change a lot in their combinations before with the introduction of other new destinations. This could be done again, and of course SN has more knowledge to know wich destination could be combined with LBV.
For Malabo...I say no. This was a previous LX destination wich was very succesfull, but shortly after the take over LH decided to take over this route. Malabo could easilly be relocated to FRA (unlike some other African destinations) and became a reall money maker for LH in Africa. LX was really not happy with this. And for sure LH is not going to give away this route to SN.

lindahabana

Post by lindahabana »

Nope ;) 2 flights BKO ACC and 1 flight ACC LOM ...

airtrotter

Post by airtrotter »

Libreville in combination with Point-Noire maybe ?
Of course, PNR also is an oil destination...

LH strengthening Accra and Malabo, while SN gets LBV and PNR. Fair exchange?

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

airtrotter wrote:Libreville in combination with Point-Noire maybe ?
Of course, PNR also is an oil destination...
Possible, I think this is the case with LH currently. But I don't think LH wants to give away PNR, especially because it is a reall oil destination. In that region I think only LBV could(!) go to SN.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

lindahabana wrote:Nope ;) 2 flights BKO ACC and 1 flight ACC LOM ...
Oh ok, thanks. Than it is ROB and ABJ I think. :P

I must admit that the combinations of the destinations is not my speciality... :oops: But I thrust in the knowledge of SN for this.

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

Darjeeling wrote:LOS and ACC are both in overcapacity cases, yields are plummeting. Plus the fact the Gulf carriers are pushing hard there (Even LH group is struggling in ACC). Especially LOS. People don't hesitate to fly with GCC carriers even to the UK if they can fly with a prestigious carrier like EK with a shopping stop at DXB airport as long as the fare is reasonable.
:o Darjeeling, you need to check out your map ..
No sane pax, even the most DXB-crazy, would ever consider transiting in DXB for a flight LOS-BRU.
Bcs 1. he would pay at least double price 2. He would stay on the trvel trail for 16HRS min , compared with 6HRS in the non-stop scenario.
All that for the "sooo pleasurable" opportunity to do shopping at DXB ? :roll: Or am I missing something here ?? maybe the cave of AliBaba :idea:
Darjeeling wrote:You also have the U.S carriers that fly/will fly non-stop there at relatively interesting fares.
The only carriers that I know of on the LOS-US market are :
-W3 to JFK
-DL to ATL
-CO (sorry UA) to IAH (planned soon)
And that's all.
As you see the *A would benefit from a connectivity at BRU although it would indeed overlap FRA.
Some little competition is desirable .. no ? Again ask the LH's mgt point of view ? But if they want to take SN's remaing shares, the bride must revamp I shoud say ;)
Darjeeling wrote:No, I'd like SN to expand in more "rare" territories like Gabon, Congo-Brazza, Niger,...
Maybe yes , maybe no, you have to set priorities also.
In theory AFI is SN's natural playground, we know, but complemntary NATL routes also (that was overlooked 10 yrs ago).
My point is that LOS/ACC is important today and will be ubiquitous tomorow. So it's strategic for SN. If ACC is disappointing just now, looking for additional feeding and/or cargo revenue should help, NAtl and EUR being the obvious market targets.
Darjeeling wrote:Plus I remain convinced that a flight to Guangzhou would have helped them dramatically to fill their planes. AFI-Asia is a key market you can't afford to neglect. Look now they depend on HU's fanciful strategies and PVG is dropped.
Darjeeling, again look at a map ?
LOS-CAN overflies DXB, while transiting in BRU (or AMS or CDG) would represent an overhead of roughly 20%. Unsustainable for SN to struggle with EK on this market.
However, SN flying to many WAFI destis not (yet) served by EK still suggest the relevance of a chinese/NorthEast link at BRU. HU to PEK is already a feeder (to which extent I don't know, do you?) but PVG and TYO could be considered as well. Q: WHO ? A codeshare seems advisable in this case ... using SN's metal for better connection times imho... hmm.. if LH mgt is willing to take risks .. hmm..
On the other hand, CAN and HKG are not a serious option imo bcs
1. too much overhead
2. NBO and ADD in the picture
Darjeeling wrote:That being said, LX handing Cameroon over to SN is an excellent news and a blow for those who said a few days ago that LH would quickly dump SN. Also more n-s to FIH is a key for the SN/AF battle there.
Yes but it's a lot of offernig .. that surprised me a bit to be true.
I would have more humbly suggested :
BRU-DLA-NSI : 5/wk A332
BRU-FIH 4/wk
BRU-FIH-LAD 3/wk A333
.. and (ok my suggestion :
BRU-ACC-LOS : aiming 5/wk, starting 3/w A332 or A333 depending on the cargo opportunities (which are good I was told)
Even so, I am aware that a lot can be improved ...
There is so much to do to give flesh and soul to the SN ntwk, I would not hesitate to take as much "old" 343 from LH I couild put my hands on...
Just my 2 cts ??

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Co-CEO of Brussels Airlines, Bernard Gustin visited the President of Uganda today. Gustin is seen (or sees himself) as a very important person for the Europe-Uganda tourism.

Some important points:
-They (Brussels Airlines) are working with some big tour operators like Thomas Cook to position Uganda in their catalogues to promote the country's tourism sector.

- And secondly and maybe more interesting for this topic: "He added that the Brussels Airlines will increase its frequencies to Entebbe International Airport beginning next year 2012 as the airport is geographically well positioned and has adequate infrastructure."

Maybe this is something that is subject to government approval or not final yet, but it seems that we can add EBB to the list of African destinations that will get more capacity. As EBB is 3/week combined with KGL (wich is operated 4/week, also one weekly with NBO) this may also mean KGL could get more flights, or NBO or BJM... At least one destination in that region (except when SN is planning non-stop BRU-EBB-BRU, but I doubt that).

http://www.mediacentre.go.ug/details.ph ... &item=1441

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

SWISS has announced what it is intending to do with the metal freed after transfering their Cameroon flights to SN: they are to operate a second ZRH-ORD flight 4 times weekly with it.