American to drop ORD-BRU eff. Nov 6 2011

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

geoffrey11

Re: American to drop ORD-BRU eff. Nov 6 2011

Post by geoffrey11 »

Atlantis wrote:It gives a very important advantage to BRU. Of course it is very sad that AA has to close a very ancient line from BRU to ORD but it create a free space in the morning at the B-pier. And it is needed because the morning is quite full.
Now there is more space for Thai Airways and United Airlines (B777 which stands on the tarmac) on the
B-Pier.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

geoffrey11 wrote:
Atlantis wrote:It gives a very important advantage to BRU. Of course it is very sad that AA has to close a very ancient line from BRU to ORD but it create a free space in the morning at the B-pier. And it is needed because the morning is quite full.
Now there is more space for Thai Airways and United Airlines (B777 which stands on the tarmac) on the
B-Pier.
But also for ANA who is coming next year to BRU.
Note that BRU is going to make already free space at the B-pier by adding two extra gates

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Atlantis wrote: But also for ANA who is coming next year to BRU.
Note that BRU is going to make already free space at the B-pier by adding two extra gates
Is NH being confirmed? I thought not (yet)?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Bralo20 wrote:
Is NH being confirmed? I thought not (yet)?
It is already confirmed for a while but the start date is not yet confirmed.

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

Well, I did think AA (and DL) would feel the squeeze more and more so this is some sort of materialization.

However I did think AA would drop it's JFK service first still thinking ORD was a major hub, but from what I'm reading it looks like a lot of it has been divested over the past decade.

I think it's unlikely we'll see AA start MIA-BRU or DFW-BRU, they are extremely conservative. ORD is probably not about to come back online. And I still wouldn't hold my breath on JFK lasting endlessly.

BRU is becoming Star bastion as was expected when LH took over SN.
I still think oneworld could have been a nice alternative, bah!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Atlantis wrote:Note that BRU is going to make already free space at the B-pier by adding two extra gates
Off topic, but is this going to be done by removing the bussing area in the middle of the pier?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

sn26567 wrote:
Atlantis wrote:Note that BRU is going to make already free space at the B-pier by adding two extra gates
Off topic, but is this going to be done by removing the bussing area in the middle of the pier?
correct, the bussing area will move to the terminal. This will create one extra space. The second one will be at the end ot the B-pier

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Is that stand at the end of the B-pier going to close off the inner taxiway whenever in use then, or how is that going to work?

What is really needed is a significant extension of the B-pier westbound. With the railtunnel works finally ended, they can start work on it pretty soon: is there any news on the firm starting date already? Or are they going to do the A pier first? I'd say both are very ugent: BRU is completely saturated in the morning, so much even remote parking positions are almost all filled up too!

Back to topic:
AA dropping ORD is no surprise to me, although the end of the route does come sooner than expected: AA are known to have taken a serious beating from UA with the help of SN and since downgrading to a 757 isn't an option, they have no choice but to close it. I'd expect a similar outcome on the JFK route too once SN starts up its own flights on A330 next spring.

SN539

Post by SN539 »

tolipanebas wrote:
What is really needed is a significant extension of the B-pier westbound.
I suppose you mean extension of the A-Pier westbound ?? It is impossible to extent B-Pier westbound given that the westbound extremity of the B-Pier is the Terminal :)

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

No, I ment B pier.
It's maybe not an extension in the sense that the new gates will not be in a straight line with the current exisitng ones like will be the case at the A Pier, but BRU should create more gates by adding a new westerly extention to the non-schengen terminal too.
Or are they just going to build a new STAR alliance only terminal west of 'the diamond'?
Does anybody have a link for that little schematic we once saw here? Atlantis, maybe?

lindahabana

Post by lindahabana »

We are speaking about the A pier ?

SN539

Post by SN539 »

tolipanebas wrote:No, I ment B pier.
It's maybe not an extension in the sense that the new gates will not be in a straight line with the current exisitng ones like will be the case at the A Pier, but BRU should create more gates by adding a new westerly extention to the non-schengen terminal too.
Or are they just going to build a new STAR alliance only terminal west of 'the diamond'?
Does anybody have a link for that little schematic we once saw here? Atlantis, maybe?
It is indeed possible to build a new terminal west of the 'Diamond' in the place of the (very) old freight terminal with several gates directly linked to the building. But I don't know if this appears in the plans of BAC and if this terminal would be STAR dedicated.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

As far as I know the first thing they will do is extend the A-pier to the west with gates for non-schengen flights so that SN and their Star partners can operate all their flights out of the A-pier.

geoffrey11

Post by geoffrey11 »

If I read this reactions, than I wonder why Brussels Airport the C-Pier has removed. They had better the gate refurbished and the Satelliet olso refurbished instead of an office.
If the C-pier or Satelliet standing now in 2011for passenger it would be nice for airlines example.
Jet Airways terminal :lol:

On last question, SN will they opparate they flight to the VS from the T-pier or B-pier?

greets

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

geoffrey11 wrote:
On last question, SN will they opparate they flikte to the VS from the T-pier or B-pier?
I suppose T-pier as that would be the most convenient for their transfer pax and it's the place where they have their best (or their only good? :P ) lounge. At least if there is place for 7 A330's (as I suppose there will be days/moments that all 7 will be at their gate at the T-pier at the same time)?

But I think we are going a bit off topic... :mrgreen:

SN1203

Post by SN1203 »

It gives a very important advantage to BRU. Of course it is very sad that AA has to close a very ancient line from BRU to ORD but it create a free space in the morning at the B-pier. And it is needed because the morning is quite full.
A very important advantage... I'd say it's even excellent news that Brussels loses a daily direct transatlantic flight to free up a gate capacity :roll: Are you being serious here!?
B-Pier.
It won't make a difference as they obviously won't let a B777 occupy a gate for 5-7 hours in the morning peak.
It is already confirmed for a while but the start date is not yet confirmed.
Probably a semantic discussion, but certainly in aviation the start-up of a route is only confirmed once you have the plane, traffic rights, slots and a start date. With soaring fuel prices, possible economical downturn etc., nothing is "confirmed" until the launch is ticked off and the flights are loaded in the systems.
For AA, they can start Miami-Brussels B767.
What makes you think Miami would work for AA, if they can't even make Chicago work?

geoffrey11

Post by geoffrey11 »

SN1203 wrote:
For AA, they can start Miami-Brussels B767.
What makes you think Miami would work for AA, if they can't even make Chicago work?
First, AA have stop the ORD-BRU route because the competition was maby to strong from UA.

Second, Miami is one of the American destenation that never is fly from Brussels. Easter and summer vacation it would be ideal for AA. Maby Dallas could be a possibility...

Third, I read that One World will be sitting in Brussels Airport to expand they Alliance.

Fourth, Maby AA is sharing for a Spannish destenation (togheter with Air Berlin and Iberia). Look DL they fly to Malaga and Valencia seasonal ...

Fifth, had SN the codeshare with BA and AA not stop put (before accession STAR) than I am sure that AA have will fly daily from ORD to BRU, maby SN would join in One World...

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

[/quote]

When are those works going to start? Because you can't just take away the IRDL (tent) without first having a new busterminal and as far as I know, they haven't started yet?

Another issue... I can only see one widebody fit at that location.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

geoffrey11 wrote: Second, Miami is one of the American destenation that never is fly from Brussels. Easter and summer vacation it would be ideal for AA. Maby Dallas could be a possibility...
Miami is a leisure destination, thus low yielding.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Conti764 wrote:
Another issue... I can only see one widebody fit at that location.
As he said, one at that location, one at the end of the B-pier. ;)