Antwerp airport

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: ANTWERP AIRPORT

Post by sn26567 »

Sabena operated the 737-200 between ANR and LHR for several years. And during the week end this plane came back to BRU. Which enabled me once to buy a ticket (at 400 BEF) for the shortest flight of my life: ANR-BRU on a Friday night (after coming back from LHR). I was the only passenger on board with my wife, with 5 crew (three stewardesses) at my service...
André
ex Sabena #26567

Shanti

Post by Shanti »

We have to think small (fokker 50, saab aircraft,....), Sabena had in the 80's 2/3 daily flights
from Antwerp to London Heatrow for connections from LHR. I flew as a young boy with them
from Antwerp to LHR (only 35/40 min. flying time)
BA flew many years with the ATR aircraft from Anr to Lgw

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

ANR-BRU on a Boeing 737-200 ?! What a short hop!!!

Was it possible to buy tickets on such a short route?

Houw much time did this flight last?

And most largely, what about the belgian domestic services in the history?

airtrotter

Post by airtrotter »

I also remember seeing a 737 classic at ANR, don't know what airline though. I think it was during an airshow.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote:ANR-BRU on a Boeing 737-200 ?! What a short hop!!!

Was it possible to buy tickets on such a short route?

Houw much time did this flight last?

And most largely, what about the belgian domestic services in the history?
The flight lasted 20 minutes in the timetable. The plane never flew higher than 2500 ft. It was possible to buy tickets, of course. I did it during the stopover in ANR airport of the only LHR-ANR-BRU flight of the week.

Belgium once had an extensive domestic network served by Sikorsky S55 and S58 helicopters from BRU (City and Airport) to Liège, Hasselt, Antwerp.
André
ex Sabena #26567

galaxy

Post by galaxy »

sn26567 wrote:Sabena operated the 737-200 between ANR and LHR for several years. And during the week end this plane came back to BRU. Which enabled me once to buy a ticket (at 400 BEF) for the shortest flight of my life: ANR-BRU on a Friday night (after coming back from LHR). I was the only passenger on board with my wife, with 5 crew (three stewardesses) at my service...
At that time,I lived at about 10 km. from the airport . I knew it was time to go at work when I heard the 737-200 screaming for departure at 8.00 am.
For me it was a good thing to hear,but not for all neighbours.

Gliderpilot

Post by Gliderpilot »

757 at antwerp:
http://www.asa-be.com/images/PhotoGalle ... %20DHL.jpg

Bernie Ecclestone has visited antwerp with his BBJ (737-800) as well.

I think the CS100 does have a great potential from ANR, especially the ER version (with more trust). The standard version should have a range 3000km from a runway of 1500m. But being kind of speculative here, as BBD already deleted that info from their website.

Anyhow, let's first fly that plane! :mrgreen:

here a video of F100 at ANR: http://www.safetv.me/watch/FyYi9g7De90/ ... d-T/O.html

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

regi wrote: But...is it possible it was a ...
I hardly dear to mention it
a Starlifter? :shock:
A Starlifter ? Yes Regi, It could be . Here a little story:

"Our normal landing field length for the C-141 was about 10,000 feet. A few fields we went to were only about 7,000 feet long and required special precautions for takeoff and landing. Any field shorter than that required an instructor pilot and special permission to fly in and out of.

That field for us was Laguna Army Air Field in Southern Arizona, just 20 miles north of Yuma, Arizona. The field was only 4,500 feet long and it was a challenge to get into and out of. We frequently flew there for special parachute drop training with the US Army.

We could neither land nor take off if it was raining (...) The other factor that limited our use of the field was heat (...) At those times all we could carry out of there was a minimum load of fuel and five or six thousand pounds of cargo. (A normal load was 20,000 to 40,000 pounds of cargo and a max load was 75,000 pounds with a long runway, on a cold day.)

When the pilot came in to land the aircraft he needed to be low, slow (right on approach speed) and plant the aircraft (land firmly/hard) on the numbers (the beginning end of the runway pavement). If this was not the case the other end of the runway could come up a lot faster than one wanted to imagine....."

So yes, I guess the C-141 Starlifter "could" have been in Antwerp.

The replacement for this aircraft was the C-17 Globemaster III , a "STOL" champion, for runways as short as 3000 feet.
Homo Aeroportus wrote: You think an RJ85 can make it? Isn't this runway a bit short?

Anybody any idea about this performance limitation on RJ85? How long a runway is needed for it?

Thks
It can take off on a runway of 3,920 feet and land on a strip 4,260 feet long. So Antwerp should be no problem.

Stij

Post by Stij »

I guess the RJ85 has two major problems for any new airline at ANR: it's to big and it's burns money... in style!

Cheers,

Stij

andorra-airport

Stij wrote:I guess the RJ85 has two major problems for any new airline at ANR: it's to big and it's burns money... in style!

Cheers,

Stij
Well, lets get some other aicraft then. Airbus A318, Embraer 170 /190 , ATR 72-500 ?

BA is using a 318 to fly from London City to JFK , (ex Concorde) flight BA 0001.
Last edited by andorra-airport on 26 Aug 2010, 18:44, edited 2 times in total.

Shanti

Post by Shanti »

why not a daily Airbus 318 Antwerp- Shannon(fuel) - New York such as BA,
diamant sector, port of Antwerp (lots of business men on this route)
and only 32 business seats on board, also 2/3 flight attendants on board
so not to many expenses for hotels,...i think it will be a succes,
we just need some belgian investors, ex-sabena staff ....

torchus

Post by torchus »

Can an A318 fly non-stop from London to New York ?

Shanti

Post by Shanti »

A boeing 737-700 for sure because a 737-700 flies daily for KLM between Amsterdam and Houston
(10,5 hours ), only with business class. So maybe Anr-London (fuel)-New York.Lhr will be difficult
to find a slot but Stansted andLuton will no problem.

andorra-airport

torchus wrote:Can an A318 fly non-stop from London to New York ?
Yes it can. The lighter weight of the A318 gives it an operating range 10% greater than the A320, allowing it to serve some routes that the A320 would be unable to: London-New York, Perth-Auckland and Singapore-Tokyo.

But because of the short runway at London City (LCY) it can not take enough fuel, so it has to stop in Shannon.

Return New York JFK to London LCY is non-stop.

regi

Post by regi »

and a Q400NG ?

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,
regi wrote:and a Q400NG ?
Why not?
In combination with 'in-air refuelling' due the supposed contracts that SN would sign
with our defense department, ...
Maybe Decrem could buy a KC135 from the Netherlands, EIN isn't that far ...
( didn't he scrap a tank-order maybe there's money left for a tank-er :lol: !
Now he's reinventing our defense could be good to work togheter with civil aviation..
And with Korongo, the A319ER planes SN could use some help.. :lol:

:oops: completly off-topic now..

and now serious again ??

Cx-B
New types flown 2022.. A339

earthman

Re: Antwerp airport

Post by earthman »

Someone flew an An-2 across the atlantic recently, although that was with fuel stops.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Illo tempore, Sabena flew scheduled flights from Antwerp with B737, wasn't it to London ?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

airazurxtror wrote:Illo tempore, Sabena flew scheduled flights from Antwerp with B737, wasn't it to London ?
As mentioned above (bottom of previous page and top of this page) ...
André
ex Sabena #26567

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

sn26567 wrote:Sabena operated the 737-200 between ANR and LHR for several years. And during the week end this plane came back to BRU. Which enabled me once to buy a ticket (at 400 BEF) for the shortest flight of my life: ANR-BRU on a Friday night
Sorry, I had not seen it ...
Speaking of ANR-BRU, Delta Air Transport flew that line at a time, with DC3 - I made it many times; the flight was for free if you took a Sabena connection at BRU...