Korean Air at BRU

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

BRUMRU

Korean Air at BRU

Post by BRUMRU »

I was on my way home from work today and saw 5 (!) Korean Air 747s - often I see one KE cargo plane on the tarmac but was taken aback by 5 - anyone know why there were so many? Is it usual? I'd never seen this many before at BRU, that's all.

LJ

Re: Korean Air at BRU

Post by LJ »

See the thread about the USAF containers
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41482

BRUMRU

Post by BRUMRU »

Thanks! That explains the number of KE jets i saw , it was a great sight to see from the A201 8-)

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

so it seems this is becoming quite frequent ?

cnc

Post by cnc »

it should be done by the end of april as far as i know

Established02

Post by Established02 »

Acid-drop wrote:so it seems this is becoming quite frequent ?
The volume and frequency is impressive, but I understand this is just a temporary thing.

IIRC, this is part of a series of 30 charter flights in the month of March.

Captain Remi

Post by Captain Remi »

I was also amazed by the sight of 5 KAL 747's on the tarmac when returning from work yesterday evening.
Took a low resolution, terribly bad quality pic. with my cellphone.
So, I was wondering if someone took a nice picture of this wonderfull and unique sight...?
Mine is absolutely rubbish...

I was pleased someone started this topic already, as I was about to do the same...
I have the impression we might even have one or a few days with 7 KAL 747's :shock:
Just amazing!!!

Established02

Post by Established02 »

Captain Remi wrote:Took a low resolution, terribly bad quality pic. with my cellphone.
So, I was wondering if someone took a nice picture of this wonderfull and unique sight...?
Moral of the story: Always keep your 70-200 IS USM 2.8 in the trunk of your car, Captain Remi. ;)

Later on I may perhaps be able to show some interesting picture, but with 'only' 4 x KE744.

LJ

Post by LJ »

Next Monday (April 5th) 6 KE Cargo flights are scheduled from BRU. According to their timetable the flights will depart at:

11:00 (KE9536)
14:40 (KE9528)
16:40 (KE8522)
18:15 (KE9522)
19:25 (KE9528)
20:40 (KE8528)
20:50 (KE8536)

TripleD

Post by TripleD »

LJ wrote:Next Monday (April 5th) 6 KE Cargo flights are scheduled from BRU. According to their timetable the flights will depart at:

11:00 (KE9536)
14:40 (KE9528)
16:40 (KE8522)
18:15 (KE9522)
19:25 (KE9528)
20:40 (KE8528)
20:50 (KE8536)
you mean 7? Same as last week.

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

persbericht van Voka Halle-Vilvoorde:

540 jobs in luchthavenregio

Zopas raakte bekend dat zowel Korean Air als Asiana Airlines meer cargovluchten kunnen uitvoeren op Brussels Airport. Dit is een rechtstreeks gevolg van het recente federale luchthavenakkoord en een pluim op de hoed van premier Leterme die vandaag beide CEO’s ontmoette. Door de verhoging van het aantal slots voor beide luchtvaartmaatschappijen, stijgt de vervoerde vracht met 18.000 ton per jaar, wat 180 directe en 360 indirecte arbeidsplaatsen in de luchthavenregio oplevert. Voka Halle-Vilvoorde is blij met dit positieve bericht dat past in haar FLAR project (Flanders Airport Region) waarbij er actief en met steun van de Vlaamse Overheid wordt gezocht naar nieuwe luchtvaartmaatschappijen die op Brussels Airport willen vliegen.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

and in french
http://www.lesoir.be/actualite/belgique ... 762874.php

why is there a limit of slots per week ?
Who decides it ?
Why isn't it unlimited ?

Stij

Post by Stij »

Acid-drop wrote:and in french
http://www.lesoir.be/actualite/belgique ... 762874.php

why is there a limit of slots per week ?
Who decides it ?
Why isn't it unlimited ?
Traffic rights regulated in bilateral agreements.

Before there was Europe and Open Skies, all traffic rights were regulated in these bilateral agreements.

Two countries would decide between them how many flight could be operated and by which aircraft size etc. Each country could then "give" these rights to a carrier of it's choice.

We hear regurarly about these rights when we discuss Congo. If I'm not wrong BruAir is currently using the traffic rights that normally should be given to a carrier of Congo, but because of the absence of such a carrier were leased to Bru Air (who proabably pays a lot to the Congo.

Cheers,

Stij

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Boeing767copilot wrote:persbericht van Voka Halle-Vilvoorde:

540 jobs in luchthavenregio

Zopas raakte bekend dat zowel Korean Air als Asiana Airlines meer cargovluchten kunnen uitvoeren op Brussels Airport. Dit is een rechtstreeks gevolg van het recente federale luchthavenakkoord en een pluim op de hoed van premier Leterme die vandaag beide CEO’s ontmoette. Door de verhoging van het aantal slots voor beide luchtvaartmaatschappijen, stijgt de vervoerde vracht met 18.000 ton per jaar, wat 180 directe en 360 indirecte arbeidsplaatsen in de luchthavenregio oplevert. Voka Halle-Vilvoorde is blij met dit positieve bericht dat past in haar FLAR project (Flanders Airport Region) waarbij er actief en met steun van de Vlaamse Overheid wordt gezocht naar nieuwe luchtvaartmaatschappijen die op Brussels Airport willen vliegen.
And important, there is finally a legal, juridical basis for flights during night and daytime. This is a more safe situation for all airlines instead of paying penalties (but no single airline paid those ridiculous penalties)

And second: Brucargo will be a secured gateway in the near future. The best of Europe can we say and this on several segments.

Good job!!!

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

it seems ridiculous in a modern world.
Just fly.
That should be the only rule.

Plus, there is a lot of interet for a country like Belgium to welcome as many flight as possible ... why keep this limit ... honestly, I don't see the point.
It's like saying we could receive 10 flights a day full of chineese tourists, but no ... we have a limit ... Let's not have those tourist that spend money in our country ... seriously ...

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

About the limits, I can understand because everyone must have the chance to organise flights to a certain country and they protact their own homecarriers. Those are the bilateral agreements, nothing to do about that.

But Korean and Asiana has both 3 and 4 slots. Both wants 7 slots. There is now an agreement that above the 7 excisting there will be 4 extra slots.

But more important, both will make their West-Eurpean hub at Brussels Airport with extra cargo flights to/from China.

In practice this wil mean that every big cargo player will have their hub at BRU (those who flying to BRU of course). But the question is still what SQ is going to do.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

I can understand because everyone must have the chance to organise flights to a certain country and they protact their own homecarriers.
As I say, this is the old way of working, not the modern offer-and-demand rule.
But in this particular case, I don't see the point to offer only a small increase while a full opening of the air space could be beneficial for both parties. I must miss something big in this story, nevermind

About Asiana, something was preparing some month ago already.
Your topic here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40613&start=0
Strange announce since usually it's the opposite direction. You can be sure there are things we don't know.

Stij

Post by Stij »

About the bilateral agreements:

More and more we see the game of offer and demand is being played, especially in the US (perfect competition), EU (perfect competition) and transatlactic markets (almost perfect competition).

We 'll see this evolution developping further in the future, step by step.

Cheers,

Stij

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Atlantis wrote: But Korean and Asiana has both 3 and 4 slots. Both wants 7 slots. There is now an agreement that above the 7 excisting there will be 4 extra slots.
The webside Lloyd NV published a small article today with more specific info.

Like I said yesterday about the 4 new slots, according to Lloyd NV, those 4 new slots will be exclusive for Korean Air. Korean Air Cargo will use two slots for flights to Shanghai.
The other two are "under investigation" for possible pax flights.

Asiana has at this moment 4 slots and this stay like it is for this moment.

http://www.lloyd.be/nieuws/id27884-Brus ... nghai.html

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Atlantis wrote:
Atlantis wrote: But Korean and Asiana has both 3 and 4 slots. Both wants 7 slots. There is now an agreement that above the 7 excisting there will be 4 extra slots.
The webside Lloyd NV published a small article today with more specific info.

Like I said yesterday about the 4 new slots, according to Lloyd NV, those 4 new slots will be exclusive for Korean Air. Korean Air Cargo will use two slots for flights to Shanghai.
The other two are "under investigation" for possible pax flights.

Asiana has at this moment 4 slots and this stay like it is for this moment.

http://www.lloyd.be/nieuws/id27884-Brus ... nghai.html
Maybe a rather dumb question, but if Asiana wants more slots, why don't they get them? It's not like BRU is slot restricted and if I were BRU, I'd favor any possible Star Alliance airline over a competitor if slot availability would be rare.