Ryanair comes back to Ostend !

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

regi

Ryanair comes back to Ostend !

Post by regi »

Good news for Comet:
Ryanair might come back to Ostend. It depends on the subsidies from different state organisations.
Just now in Dutch:
http://www.tijd.be/nieuws/binnenland/Ry ... 97-438.art

This is a bit strange. Ryanair was active at Ostend for a short time but left quite quickly. I think that the connections with train/tram/bus/coach were not yet well enough developed.

The first destination would be Gerona. Not Stansted.

LAGPanoramic

Re: Ryanair comes back to Ostend !

Post by LAGPanoramic »

During the short time Ryanair served Ostend, I was working in coach sales. A colleague and myself were in contact with a coach company located in the area who was contacted to organise a coach shuttle service between Ostend Airport and at least Brugge, and perhaps further to Gent and Brussels. This coach operator told us that at that time Ryanair was considering or to leave Ostend, or to increase operations over there. They chose to leave... But I heard afterwards from this man that it was a matter of subsidies and passenger taxes, not because of bad connections.

fretn

Post by fretn »

awesome news! :D
i'm hoping for some destination in the south!
great great great news!

it's a smart choice, people know more and more that departing from ostend is fast and good organised.
It was only a matter of time, i'm really happy if they would come back, and i guess a route to the south will be hugely popular (instead of stansted :lol: )!

jessy

Post by jessy »

Ostend might get a new life then :D
After the fact that MAG doesn't visit EBOS as much anymore since they operate most of the times out of Irak, and BGB doesn't show around tat much either as in the beginning this might just be the things to help OST survive :)
Jessy Stas
Assistant Director - Belgium
Special Operations Assistant Coordinator - Belgium

International Virtual Aviation Organisation
http://ivao.aero | http://ivao.be

regi

Post by regi »

immediate consequence:
Wiloo ( organisation to boycot Ostend Airport ) has charged the batteries of his >20 year old Realistic Decibelmeter.
http://www.wiloo.be

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

A DC-8 make the sound of 10 ryanair 737 all together ;)

Good news for OST. It seems that subsidies are necessary everywhere, right ... ;)

regi

Post by regi »

When Ryanair returns, we will enjoy some more movements from the restaurant upstairs. It is one of the very few European airports where you can sit behind glass and eat or drink and enjoy aviation from so closeby.
As a schoolboy I visited also the outside terrace. But am I right that this is now closed ?

Btw: the restaurant is OK. Not the most refined , but certainly not bad . And quite cheap - if you don't add the parking money :x

Poeli

Post by Poeli »

Indeed great news for EBOS!
And the restaurant is great imo, price-quality is excellent. I eat there at least once a week as I study @ the VLOC :P
Free amazon gift cards each month!
http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=262147

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

Ok good for EBOS but not with the taxes of the Belgian tax payer!
Other private companies has to survive without any financial support.
I think the taxes can be used for better things here in Belgium but that's off topic.
Best regards,

Airbuske

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Are you blind ?
EVERY COMPANY IN BELGIUM IS HELPED WITH PUBLIC MONEY.

now, go back from the begining of the message, and read it again.

You want an example ? Carrefour received 129 millions euro in 2008.
If you don't give public money, your country will be an economic desert.

cnc

Post by cnc »

negotiations are taking a lot longer then expected which is a bad sign

Stij

Post by Stij »

Acid-drop wrote:Are you blind ?

fretn

Post by fretn »

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/Article/Detail ... D=IV2MMPKR

"Ryanair keert terug naar luchthaven Oostende
VANAF DIT NAJAAR VLUCHTEN UIT MALAGA EN GIRONA"

positive news!

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

Every company in Belgium? I don't think so but ok.
Carrefour received money and there are closing a lot of stores now. Opel received money and the plant in Antwerp will close. But this is OFF TOPIC sorry!

Nothing against Ryanair , but they don't have to offer cheap flights with the taxes of the Belgian tax payer.
I have to work very hard but why do I have to pay for an other their holiday?
Best regards,

Airbuske

fretn

Post by fretn »

But this support u are paying, pays back itself when jobs are created through this process.
Look at the role that ryanair played in the growth of CRL, it has brought more wealth to the city.

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

We will see what happen in the future with Rynair at OST. If they will expand and how many jobs this will create.

Will they base an plane in OST ? Or will a plane fly CRL-GIR-OST-GIR-CRL ?
Best regards,

Airbuske

regi

Post by regi »

airbuske wrote:

Every company in Belgium? I don't think so but ok.
Carrefour received money and there are closing a lot of stores now. Opel received money and the plant in Antwerp will close. But this is OFF TOPIC sorry!

Nothing against Ryanair , but they don't have to offer cheap flights with the taxes of the Belgian tax payer.
I have to work very hard but why do I have to pay for an other their holiday?
I think it all depends on what are the subsidies.
If it are tax incentives for Ryanair, so that they don't have to pay a lot of tax, I don't see it that we Belgian tax payers pay for Spanish people their holidays to Bruges.
But...if several state departments such as the Brugian city council pay for transport connections, advertising, adjusting the airport, than I have a problem.
The organisation of Brugian hoteliers is asked to pay contributions to this program. But this is quite strange and contradictorary. Bruges has the most expensive hotel rooms ( see survey on tripadvisor ) . They can ask so much money because the customers can and do pay for it. I know some hoteliers and the smaller ones are fully booked for the next 2-3 months . ( the Bongo effect ) Bruges aimes for the tourist who leaves behind a lot of cash. ( some months ago regarding the coach connection between Bruges and Charleroi I used the word quality tourist but I change the vocabulary now ;) )
So why should the owners of expensive hotels pay for passengers of a LCC ? Those Ryanair passengers will not stay at The Tuileries or Duc de Bourgogne. Probably in a dorm room at the Bauhaus, Passage or Snuffel.
And why should I as a Brugian let my council pay for Ryanair's facilities if it is to bring in passengers who won't leave a lot of money behind? It is called: return on investment.
If Ostend pays it, I don't care. Most of the jobs will go to Ostend people and their tax contributions towards the Ostend city wallet.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Every tourist that put a foot on belgian soil has to eat, drink, sleep, move, make a phone call, ....
Only that is beneficial.
Plus the job it creates at the airport...
They know what they are doing, be sure. It's clearly win-win situation.
Ask CRL if they regreat their choice ... ;)

It can be nothing else but a very good news for OST.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

regi wrote: So why should the owners of expensive hotels pay for passengers of a LCC ? Those Ryanair passengers will not stay at The Tuileries or Duc de Bourgogne. Probably in a dorm room at the Bauhaus, Passage or Snuffel.
And why should I as a Brugian let my council pay for Ryanair's facilities if it is to bring in passengers who won't leave a lot of money behind?
Your contempt of the Ryanair customers is still the same as before !
Obviously, you have never much flown on FR flights; their passengers are perfectly decent people, same as those who travel on other airlines - in economy class, admittedly.
If they pay 30 euros for the FR flight to Ostend instead of 120 or 150 euros for an SN or IB flight to Brussels, they will have more money to spend in Flanders ...

Outsync

Post by Outsync »

And when they land in OST and want to go to Antwerp or Brussels by train they'll pay an extremely expensive train ticket, thus already minimizing the price difference between FR and let's say SN?